Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-01-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Me being retired, one day is as good as the rest, but many people work Monday to Friday, or go to school, so Wednesday doesn't help them, but Sunday would double their opportunities, and their children's opportunities.
Take time off work. I believe they call it a "vacation day"
Old 10-01-2023, 06:51 PM

I’d like to weigh in on this. My work schedule is Tuesday to Saturday so Sunday Monday are my days off. And I hunt mule deer in 160. So the current Wednesday to Saturday thing really is tough for me. Thankfully I am able to use vacation time on a whim to go hunting when it’s good, so that works. I wish I had more choices on the days but whatever it is what it is.

I think we should be allowed to hunt on any day, and if we want to restrict hunter quantity we should use a draw system in those areas. So no more general white tail. And I’m sure that’s a wildly unpopular idea too. But based on my hunts in the areas I have permission in 160 it’s a zoo on a Saturday, so many hunters concentrated in the area.

As for landowners I have a few good relationships and i always physically stop in and say hi before applying for draws. My hunting party spreads our draws so we are there every year and the stories I hear of how rude some hunters are to them is shocking. Showing up in the summer and having a conversation on things and asking before the season has us as “oh absolutely” for permission. We also park our truck and walk; amazing how many refuse to get out of the truck out there.

So if you read this far I think the problems come back to hunters who behave poorly and ruin it for the rest of us. We gotta fix that before we can really make a solid argument to opening up more days to hunt in the 100’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2023, 07:56 PM

The 100 zones all used to be 3 days season. Can't remember what year it went to 4 day. This was to give the animals a break from the insanity that goes on out there. 166 opened up around '93 or so. Lot of us local hunters weren't fond of the change being made because of, once again, just more days of intense pressure.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Honestly Elk, if the regulations were changed here there would be less lands to enjoy. This coming from someone who has lived here for many decades as well as hold tracks of land which others enjoy..
Why is that the stock response? “If I don’t like something, or anything, or anyone does anything I don’t approve of, or might, I’m gonna take it out on all hunters”

Deeded, whatever. Do what you want if you OWN it.

Public resource. Public land. Tax-payer funded.

Far as I’m concerned, draw tags should come with blanket foot access for the entire zone, every day for the entire season, for non-deeded land.

Don’t like it? Don’t lease.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazIce View Post
I’d like to weigh in on this. My work schedule is Tuesday to Saturday so Sunday Monday are my days off. And I hunt mule deer in 160. So the current Wednesday to Saturday thing really is tough for me. Thankfully I am able to use vacation time on a whim to go hunting when it’s good, so that works. I wish I had more choices on the days but whatever it is what it is.

I think we should be allowed to hunt on any day, and if we want to restrict hunter quantity we should use a draw system in those areas. So no more general white tail. And I’m sure that’s a wildly unpopular idea too. But based on my hunts in the areas I have permission in 160 it’s a zoo on a Saturday, so many hunters concentrated in the area.

As for landowners I have a few good relationships and i always physically stop in and say hi before applying for draws. My hunting party spreads our draws so we are there every year and the stories I hear of how rude some hunters are to them is shocking. Showing up in the summer and having a conversation on things and asking before the season has us as “oh absolutely” for permission. We also park our truck and walk; amazing how many refuse to get out of the truck out there.

So if you read this far I think the problems come back to hunters who behave poorly and ruin it for the rest of us. We gotta fix that before we can really make a solid argument to opening up more days to hunt in the 100’s.

That last paragraph is spot on. Far to many peoples self worth hangs on whether or not they kill an animal. Seems anything goes in that quest.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-01-2023, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
That last paragraph is spot on. Far to many peoples self worth hangs on whether or not they kill an animal. Seems anything goes in that quest.
Right I’ve heard about that cow that was shot 1984-87 in 13 counties, from 32 different landholders. Damn thing ran a circle around the entire province collecting bullets and owners.

Not defending the azzhats, but they exist on both sides of the fence.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Take time off work. I believe they call it a "vacation day"
The one thing I can't stand about being a post-secondary instructor is that I can't take any days off when school is in. Having time off in the summer is nice, but I sure would like 10 days to go hunting in November, unfortunately it's not an option.
As such, living in the south, I'm lucky if I can get off work in time to make last light on Friday, and hunt Saturday. Maybe Sunday in a few zones that aren't too far away.
I'm certainly not looking for sympathy, just offering a different perspective.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanslays View Post
Does anyone know why you can’t hunt Sunday-Tuesday in the 100 units? Please enlighten me.
No Sunday hunting for Big Game but the Wed-Sat only applies for the Deer Seasons.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Why is that the stock response? “If I don’t like something, or anything, or anyone does anything I don’t approve of, or might, I’m gonna take it out on all hunters”

Deeded, whatever. Do what you want if you OWN it.

Public resource. Public land. Tax-payer funded.

Far as I’m concerned, draw tags should come with blanket foot access for the entire zone, every day for the entire season, for non-deeded land.

Don’t like it? Don’t lease.
If you don’t like it then go buy a lease and pay tax on it!
Old 10-01-2023, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Right I’ve heard about that cow that was shot 1984-87 in 13 counties, from 32 different landholders. Damn thing ran a circle around the entire province collecting bullets and owners.

Not defending the azzhats, but they exist on both sides of the fence.
I know of a cow that was killed a couple years ago. Had another azz clown from Pincher Creek a few years ago that had an Antelope tag and thought he could go wherever he wanted with his side x side cutting the fence in several places he even cut the fence into the USA not knowing where he was. Then one wonders why we have problems gaining permission.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I know of a cow that was killed a couple years ago. Had another azz clown from Pincher Creek a few years ago that had an Antelope tag and thought he could go wherever he wanted with his side x side cutting the fence in several places he even cut the fence into the USA not knowing where he was. Then one wonders why we have problems gaining permission.
Yes there are idiots around, but they are idiots seven days per week, not just Sunday.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
What a load of fluff. Farmers and ranchers are tired of people wheeling into their yards early Sunday mornings demanding to be let on leases. They would like one day off, that's it that's all. And yes it happens all the time ducks geese pheasants as well. Hunting in the SE is very concentrated to small game holding areas, those farmers and ranchers are inundated with requests, I for one do not begrudge these folks a day of rest. Yes you and all the other great hunters do things right, but you are a minority. Lots of azz hats think nothing of showing up at 7am and asking can I shoot the deer in your yard.
Lots of truth here. Before we had Sunday hunting here we would at least get a day off from the craziness that is hunting season here. Now from Aug 30 until cow elk season closes in January there are constantly people in and out of our farms. Weekends are the worst. Phone calls or door visits at 7 am when you just got to bed from combining at 3 am don’t go over well. My mother gets harassed all the time and her answer is now no because of it.

Lately there sure seems to be a lot of Americans trying to get permission for waterfowl. Something is up with that.
Old 10-01-2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
Lots of truth here. Before we had Sunday hunting here we would at least get a day off from the craziness that is hunting season here. Now from Aug 30 until cow elk season closes in January there are constantly people in and out of our farms. Weekends are the worst. Phone calls or door visits at 7 am when you just got to bed from combining at 3 am don’t go over well. My mother gets harassed all the time and her answer is now no because of it.

Lately there sure seems to be a lot of Americans trying to get permission for waterfowl. Something is up with that.
I wonder if those Americans are there as a result of hunting the area with outfitters, or as a result of seeing the outfitters operating in your area on TV?
Old 10-02-2023, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-regard View Post
The one thing I can't stand about being a post-secondary instructor is that I can't take any days off when school is in. Having time off in the summer is nice, but I sure would like 10 days to go hunting in November, unfortunately it's not an option.
As such, living in the south, I'm lucky if I can get off work in time to make last light on Friday, and hunt Saturday. Maybe Sunday in a few zones that aren't too far away.
I'm certainly not looking for sympathy, just offering a different perspective.

I feel you in this regard. My wife and I are both in retail. It’s easier for me to get time off in November than her, and she is up for mule deer next year.

I kind of think that draws should be exempt from this rule. But that’s also too complicated at that point.

Old 10-07-2023, 12:29 PM

Having the No Sunday hunting rule in the 100 zones is completely ridiculous. The argument of not bothering landowners is also ridiculous simply because there's far more people and landowners in the other zones so that don't hold water, either way getting one day to hunt per week is just simply stupid and just another reason why there's very few young people hunting anymore, it's not worth dealing with all the endless rules and regulations. As hunters we just keep cutting our own throats.
Old 10-07-2023, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert eagle View Post
as often as i was happy to have the sunday hunting when i was young in a few select zones, i do wish we were back to no hunting on sundays for the vast majority of the province. It gives the game and all of us a chance to have a day of rest. As i get older i understand the benefits of the break. Realizing that it limits many people that not get weekends off, i do still feel there is value in it.
Old 10-07-2023, 03:20 PM

I have an idea.

Let’s take Wednesday’s as the no hunting day.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-07-2023, 06:17 PM

I think a number of small town hotels and cafe’s benefitted by the extended bird hunting in the 100s. I know we used to get up Saturday at 3 a.m. to drive east and be in the duck blind at dawn, shoot until last light, and then drive home, falling asleep at the wheel! When the bird hunting was extended to include the Sunday, it made it worthwhile to rent a hotel room Friday and Saturday nights, and eat some meals at the local restaurants.
Old 10-07-2023, 07:45 PM

Quote:
If you don’t like it then go buy a lease and pay tax on it!
I do pay tax on it, and crop damage, and livestock depredation etc etc etc everyone does.

Or do you believe in government money?

Quote:
We all know the cow, that was my point.

And yeah - you know of one serious azz clown. How many decent guys hunted without issue? Better yet, how many decent guys got denied over something they couldn’t change and was no fault of their own?

Can always tell who is speaking from a place of exclusive privilege.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I do pay tax on it, and crop damage, and livestock depredation etc etc etc everyone does.

Or do you believe in government money?

We all know the cow, that was my point.

And yeah - you know of one serious azz clown. How many decent guys hunted without issue? Better yet, how many decent guys got denied over something they couldn’t change and was no fault of their own?

Can always tell who is speaking from a place of exclusive privilege.
I can’t get over how much guys in Alberta complain about access to private land. I am actually surprised at how many landowners actually give permission. Really they are not getting any form of compensation(I actually like the laws against it in Alberta) and there is actually a ton of idiots out there. I hear plenty of stories from both those who own land and hunters that hunt private land. These conversations have not been well denying access either

Really be happy there is guy’s who actually allow hunters access as they owe you nothing

If you want to actually see a tough time getting access on private land go to BC

No I don’t own a large chunk of land and I actually prefer to hunt public land given the option so I am not speaking from privilege either. But when I do choose to hunt private land I always appreciate those who give me access and completely respect those who choose to say No as it is their land not mine

You are not entitled to access anyone’s land
Old 10-07-2023, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
I can’t get over how much guys in Alberta complain about access to private land. I am actually surprised at how many landowners actually give permission. Really they are not getting any form of compensation(I actually like the laws against it in Alberta) and there is actually a ton of idiots out there. I hear plenty of stories from both those who own land and hunters that hunt private land. These conversations have not been well denying access either

Really be happy there is guy’s who actually allow hunters access as they owe you nothing

If you want to actually see a tough time getting access on private land go to BC

No I don’t own a large chunk of land and I actually prefer to hunt public land given the option so I am not speaking from privilege either. But when I do choose to hunt private land I always appreciate those who give me access and completely respect those who choose to say No as it is their land not mine

You are not entitled to access anyone’s land
You missed an earlier post, ram and I were discussing leases.

I don’t care what a landOWNER does regarding permission.

It’s the BS on public land that gets me angry. Dunno if you’ve ever hunted antelope or prairie mulies. I’m sitting on a pile of priority I can’t use because those Richard-head lease ranchers block everything, every year, every way they can, to make sure the outfitters illegally paying for access (and ranch family members) are the only ones hunting. It’s absolute crap.

A draw tag should come with blanket foot access for every bit of public land in the WMU it’s valid for, every day of the season. Otherwise, what’s the point of drawing the tag? Just to go argue with people? I can do that here.
Old 10-07-2023, 09:45 PM

Quote:

It’s the BS on public land that gets me angry. Dunno if you’ve ever hunted antelope or prairie mulies. I’m sitting on a pile of priority I can’t use because those Richard-head lease ranchers block everything, every year, every way they can, to make sure the outfitters illegally paying for access (and ranch family members) are the only ones hunting. It’s absolute crap.

A draw tag should come with blanket foot access for every bit of public land in the WMU it’s valid for, every day of the season. Otherwise, what’s the point of drawing the tag? Just to go argue with people? I can do that here.
I have hunted in southern Alberta and had no issues personally but it had been a long time since I have looked for permission down that way. I can tell you my hunting buddy in Calgary has no issues getting access for both antelope and mule deer in recent years. He was out bow hunting mule deer on Friday and scouting for his mom’s draw. His Dad had trophy Antelope last and again he had no issues gaining access

He goes early, has a good reputation and is respectful. I never hear him complain about getting access and it has not effected his or any of his family members regarding draws. He is bow hunting or helping a family member with a mule deer draw every year

He is hunting both private and lease land. He is not doing anything fancy or underhanded either

His experience is not matching yours
Old 10-07-2023, 10:29 PM

Quote:

Yeah it seems like in this world it’s not how much you know it’s who you know!! It’s a shame you have top priority on animals that you can’t hunt. I can see the frustration with that specially trying to access public land that technically you can’t hunt on because your not part of the family or outfitter. Makes me shake my head knowing that non resident hunters that pay an outfitters have a better chance of hunting the public land or leased land over a resident hunter.
Old 10-08-2023, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtsyneil View Post
Yeah it seems like in this world it’s not how much you know it’s who you know!! It’s a shame you have top priority on animals that you can’t hunt. I can see the frustration with that specially trying to access public land that technically you can’t hunt on because your not part of the family or outfitter. Makes me shake my head knowing that non resident hunters that pay an outfitters have a better chance of hunting the public land or leased land over a resident hunter.
I did a guided pronghorn hunt here in Alberta with my brother last month for pronghorn and out of the 5 shot by clients I know for a fact 3 were taken in locations that were acceptable to all hunters just send in the application. They were not hunting hard to access private land or paying for access. But instead these guys did their homework investing time scouting

The fairytales didn’t match what took place on that hunt

There was other resident hunters in the area hunting DIY that were successful too. There was plenty of pronghorn in theses areas if you looked for them

I actually learned a ton about the different access options from the guide I was with. He laughed at the stories about leases and property that was “paid access for outfitters”. What I seen was guys who scouted hard and worked as a team scouting.

The biggest pronghorn was taken by my brother and it’s a tank. It was taken off of EID land(out of respect I won’t peg the property location ) not really tough land to access. Look at the EID website and all access information is there

I won’t post pictures/story from this hunt because of the anti outfitter crowd on AO.

3blade has options if he wants to go hunt pronghorn or mule deer he just needs to look at land options he can access and put in effort

I agree there could be a better system/enforcement regarding accessing lease land but the was some act you would think it’s impossible to gain access
Old 10-08-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:

I cannot for the life of me understand how you have difficulty receiving permission to access leases

As Smoky said, not my experience at all either.. show up/contact at reasonable times, approach it with a sense of appreciation and respect; do not come across with a sense of entitlement and you will likely have more land to access than you have time to hunt.. but easier to blame a leaseholder than look in the mirror.

DR
Old 10-08-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
I cannot for the life of me understand how you have difficulty receiving permission to access leases

As Smoky said, not my experience at all either.. show up/contact at reasonable times, approach it with a sense of appreciation and respect; do not come across with a sense of entitlement and you will likely have more land to access than you have time to hunt.. but easier to blame a leaseholder than look in the mirror.

DR
Maybe it's the way he approaches people.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-09-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:

this got to be very long winded. Sorry!

I’m not sure what areas you hunt, or WANT to hunt, but i hunt almost exclusively out in the 100 zones and have for 15+ years. The mule deer herd has been decimated by poor CWD management, but that’s a whole new conversation….
In the zones i hunt, i have pretty solid access to some amazing territory, and every year i respectfully approach a new landowner, and pretty much every year i get access to new areas. It’s about 50/50 grazing lease/deeded land, and whether I’m hunting one or the other, that never enters the conversation when I’m talking to the rancher.
I’ve gotta think your problem in gaining access out there is the approach you’re taking. If you go in there, demanding access to “your” lands, they’ll find any and all reasons to keep you out.
Try, just TRY to see it from the landowner/leaseholder’s point of view: in many cases, the leased quarters are mixed right in with the deeded quarters. So to access their lease, you’d often have to cross their deeded quarters. In a LOT of cases, ALL of the land has been in the family for generations. Whether deeded or not. They build the fences, they did the dugouts, THEY invest the money into the land for improvements. They run their livelihood on the land. They need it to feed their families, pay their bills and they pay taxes on that land. The general public taxpayers don’t contribute at ALL to improvements or the general upkeep of that land. So i think general foot access only when there’s no cattle present and no fire bans in place are a good middle ground that allow the public to use the land in a non-intrusive and non-destructive way, but also allow the lease holder the right to earn his living with minimal risk.
None of that has anything to do with the Sunday hunting rule anyway - but i know for sure that if i lived out there and had a peaceful, quiet lifestyle where I’m alone on my ranch with my wife and dog and a couple neighbours for 11 months out of the year, i would absolutely HATE having people in my yard from sunup to sundown every weekend knocking on the door and bothering me. Those of us that live in the city are used to noise and people and commotion all the time. Out there, it’s a completely different lifestyle of solitude and quiet. That all changes when hunting season rolls around. Then there’s trucks on the roads all day, people banging on the door at 7am, poaching, driving across the prairie, gunshots beside the house, etc, etc, etc… i know it happens province wide, but the game are concentrated in the south, and the same landowners deal with it all the time.
Clearly you don’t like the system the way it is, and there are absolutely things that could/should be done to improve it - but allowing blanket access to all these lands from Sept1-Nov30 is a terrible and unbelievably selfish way to make changes. Personally, i think it’s absolutely ridiculous that leaseholders are compensated by energy companies for exploration and resource extraction. That should be going to the land OWNERS (the tax payers). But that’s honestly the only thing i would change about the grazing lease situation.

All that being said: If you have a pile of points, i wouldn’t waste it out east anyway. CWD has ruined it. I’d apply for the peace country or the crowsnest pass area.