Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2023, 06:34 PM

Default You’ve got an elk chuckling….now what

With peak calling season behind us the most exciting part of my weekend is now reflecting on my encounters from the season and how I could have played them differently.

I am wondering what people’s experience is when an elk chuckles and how they play the situation.

I’ve spoke to a gentleman who said if it chuckles it’s a dead elk but I am not having that luck.

Had two chuckle this year on separate days. First one we exchanged chuckles, I eventually just raked and couldn’t bring him closer and then I think he got bored and slipped away.

After that experience the next elk I had chuckling I was aggressive and attempted to close the distance quickly and he just went silent and nothing further came of it.

I would love to hear how others play a chuckling bull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2023, 09:19 PM

In my experience a chuckle is a bulls method of saying come here! Situation is everything! Did he chuckle because I cow called or did he chuckle because I bugled? I much prefer to play a scenario out in front of a bull rather than engaging him directly. If he chuckled as a result of my cow call i will create a scenario where a " bull attemps to keep his " cow" away from the other bull playing on the emotions. Remember its the cow who chooses which bull will breed her so you can either give a contact buzz ( a cows way of saying no you come here!) Then continue the "bulls" attempts to keep her away from the real bull and keep the real bull away from his cow. These are all really normal sounds and actions played out daily by real elk every day during breeding season. A chuckling bull is a bull that has not yet been worked up to red line but can quite easily brought to where he comes in looking for a fight.
Another method to engage a chuckling bull is to simply cow call continuously while moving towards him. Cows will chirp constantly as they head towards a bull who has called them over. This is a normal response and the bull will generally stand there and let the " cow " come right up to him. This ploy requires very fast shooting as the bull will bust out the moment he catches signal that something is" off" when he burst away cow call him and give him a nervous grunt. This will lock him up right now for a couple seconds hopefully giving you a quick shot. Obviously a decoy is a big help using this tactic as he is looking for an elk coming towards him.
Old 10-15-2023, 09:21 PM

I agree with the cow call on a chuckler. He's looking for love, not a fight. He might be a smaller satellite bull, still fun when they vocalize in any manner!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 10-15-2023, 09:26 PM

A big thing to remember is most of my calling is not meant to engage the elk I'm hunting. Its to create a scenario that is real and believable to real elk. Most of the time I'm talking like a bull I'm talking to the " cow" beside me ignoring the real bull who is also engaging " the cow" ignoring him and creating a scenario that gets him right fired up will result in a situation where the only time I, as a bull engage the real bull he is already red lined and has almost no choice but to come in hard.
Old 10-15-2023, 09:38 PM

This is great fellas I will try those vocalization’s next year.

My first encounter the bull responded to my bugle and then I did attempt to create a scene of a cow and bull with lots of raking, her mewing and I’d bugle on top of him when he would bugle to call the cow over. There was back and forth for 15-20 minutes and then I feel like he expected the bull or cow to do something I didn’t and slipped away. Also just as likely he snuck in and busted me . I know wind was good that day I was compulsively checking it during the encounter.

The second encounter I was just doing a location bugle at dawn and within a couple hundred years got the immediate response. I’ve always heard to read the emotion in a bull and for my first couple seasons I didn’t really get what was meant by that but this bull was excited and would fire back within 30 seconds each time I responded. He chucked first and we exchanged a couple as I practically ran across a slough to get to the next timber section and I’m wondering if he also closed the distance and spotted me in the open crossing.

So many little details to analyze in the moment I’m thinking if I get an “emotional” bull talking again I’ll try to bring him in and be patient

Obsessed1 I read your crash course post on elk hunting tips three years ago and it’s provided me with such a head start as I ventured out solo with no mentor. I was able to put a lot of your tips into action right away and get immediate success and positive feedback from the elk. Thanks for sharing your input as this is one consistent deficiency in my calling

Old 10-15-2023, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I agree with the cow call on a chuckler. He's looking for love, not a fight. He might be a smaller satellite bull, still fun when they vocalize in any manner!

Thanks roper! It is electrifying and the most amazing experience to be a part of. A few fleeting moments a season keeps me hooked waiting for the next rut.

Old 10-16-2023, 07:06 AM

I agree 100% with obsessed. Do yourself a favour and pay for roe hunting experience the elk module. Its one of the best 50 bucks or whatever it is you'll spend on elk hunting. He goes through every elk sound and explains what it means , when and how to use it and has actual footage of him doing it later. Alot on elk behaviour etc.
Old 10-16-2023, 07:09 AM

We tend to find the same, chuckling bull wants you to come to them, they are looking for love not a fight.
Old 10-16-2023, 08:08 AM

Well as a hunter who is clueless with elk here is how that scenario would play out for me

I would put the reed in my mouth with the plan to use a series of cow calls in hopes the bull would show him self. My first few calls would likely sound like a snake hissing, followed by a horrible squeak, then something that may sound like a cow elk on meth, leading into to some gagging/puking sounds as I choke on the reed, and finished up by some cussing

Personally I don’t recommend this call sequence but I have perfected it lol
Old 10-16-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Well as a hunter who is clueless with elk here is how that scenario would play out for me

I would put the reed in my mouth with the plan to use a series of cow calls in hopes the bull would show him self. My first few calls would likely sound like a snake hissing, followed by a horrible squeak, then something that may sound like a cow elk on meth, leading into to some gagging/puking sounds as I choke on the reed, and finished up by some cussing

Thanks for that!lol i spit out my coffee!
Old 10-16-2023, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Thanks for that!lol i spit out my coffee!
Oh you would probably laugh even harder hearing what I actually sound like using an elk reed

Needles to say my elk calling is not going well. I have been telling on of my hunting partners I will locate the elk but he needs to learn how to call them in

But I can rock a hoochie mama like a champ
Old 10-16-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Oh you would probably laugh even harder hearing what I actually sound like using an elk reed

Needles to say my elk calling is not going well. I have been telling on of my hunting partners I will locate the elk but he needs to learn how to call them in

We all have failures. I was out yesterday trying to hunt a water source for cow elk. two days before bought 3 new external reed elk calls with the goal of tryongvto sound like a small herd of elk at the water..i did not get much practice in with said reed calls ( some bite and blow and some open reed) about half way into a smoking hot cow party i let out a screetch that could only be described as a duck from hell being stomped on by a herd of Buffalo.....my hunting partner couldnt stop laughing for the remaining 2 hours till dark. Even us elk callers make embarrassing sounds once in a while lol
Old 10-16-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:

I had issues for 10-15 years with reeds. I was finally able to find a couple that work for me. Check out the Phelps green Reed. It actually works pretty well.
Old 10-16-2023, 09:17 PM

Smoky, that was awesome. I can totally relate!
Old 10-16-2023, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
I had issues for 10-15 years with reeds. I was finally able to find a couple that work for me. Check out the Phelps green Reed. It actually works pretty well.
Thanks I will see if I can find one to test out

Stinky Buffalo I was only speaking the truth lol
Old 10-17-2023, 07:59 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

I like your style.....I would just lay back and chuckle....about as close as I would get.

I only shoot the stupid ones which keeps the herd strong taking out the weak.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-17-2023, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Stinky Buffalo I was only speaking the truth lol
Oh, I'm sure of that!

The last time I demonstrated an elk calling sequence for my brother-in-law, a pack of wolves responded from the valley below us.

From that day on forth, he refers to my elk calls as "wolf calls".

We just have to own it.
Old 10-17-2023, 08:13 AM

I’ve found they’ve always came in after chuckling, usually a sign they’re on a beeline
Old 10-17-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Don't beat yourself up...... some of the worst elk calls I've heard turned out to be actual elk. One being a huge back scratching racked bull.
Their vocal creatures... I've heard a lot of weird noises coming out of them...as do moose.