Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2012, 04:19 PM

Default Anyone been to Payne(mami) lately?

Just wondering if anyone has fished or driven by Payne lately. I am itching to get out in the boat fishing and have decided to chuck the boat in there once I know that there is enough open water.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 PM

Although quite a ways north, we were at Beauvais on sunday and it was still about 14' of ice with no sign of open water. Fishign was good to, got a really nice Brown.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:20 PM

Dang,

That isn't what I wanted to hear. I really want to get my boat out and chuck some flies before walleye season opens.

Thanks for the update Wes. Let me know if you want to get out with the fly gear sometime. I have a few places for bows that I think should be good right now.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:14 PM

Damn I did not want to hear that either. Am also itching to get down to Payne.

I wonder if Tyrel is open?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Damn I did not want to hear that either. Am also itching to get down to Payne.

I wonder if Tyrel is open?
Oh I am sure it is open water. I have never fished that lake but everything else around Lethbridge is wide open water so I can't see that one still being frozen.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:10 PM

Drove past Police as i was in the area, it was still frozen solid. I assume payne is as well
Old 03-20-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Oh I am sure it is open water. I have never fished that lake but everything else around Lethbridge is wide open water so I can't see that one still being frozen.
There are some nice rainbows in the lake but it is damn hard to fish, also the alki\alai content is high so you have to make sure you wash the boat on the way home, I also used to flush both my motors as well.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:03 PM
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
Drove past Police as i was in the area, it was still frozen solid. I assume payne is as well
Though i haven't been out, Payne usually looses it's ice about 2 weeks before Outpost. The wind is really howling today too, id imagine what ice remains out on the flats is taking a great deal of abuse. Payne is really exposed, it generally loses ice fast once the winds pick up.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:11 PM

Still lots of ice on St. Marys Reservoir on Saturday . Not sure how thick , but no open water ,
Old 03-20-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Still lots of ice on St. Marys Reservoir on Saturday . Not sure how thick , but no open water ,
That is crazy that St.Mary wasn't opened yet but Ridge has been opened for a few weeks already.

Anyone know of anywhere to launch a boat on the open all year lakes? Doesn't have to be an actual boat launch but has to be pretty solid ground to back to the trailer in.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:51 PM

Quote:
That is crazy that St.Mary wasn't opened yet but Ridge has been opened for a few weeks already.
No doubt. Stafford was open as well. I will have to take a drive this weekend and see what is going on. Supposed to be 7-12 degrees all week.

Was planning on spending the day at Police Outpost all day on the 1st.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:

Anyone know of anywhere to launch a boat on the open all year lakes? Doesn't have to be an actual boat launch but has to be pretty solid ground to back to the trailer in.
I think I got just the spot for you Nate, assuming your not planning on launching the big walleye boat. Throw me a text, you already know the spot, guessing you just haven't thought of it yet!
Old 03-20-2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
I think I got just the spot for you Nate, assuming your not planning on launching the big walleye boat. Throw me a text, you already know the spot, guessing you just haven't thought of it yet!
Ya I want to put the big boat in the water. I am not even going to think about putting the tinner in anywhere until later this year.
Old 03-20-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post

Was planning on spending the day at Police Outpost all day on the 1st.
I may end up out there also. I am not to sure if I will be heading to Police or Bullshead but I am leaning towards Police so I can use the big boat.

Its nice to be able to fish in a stable boat that has some high decks for getting up high enough to make long casts. It is also nice to be able to get anywhere on that lake with very little hassle.