Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-02-2008, 07:21 PM

Default Hunting Partner Sign Up List

Well, two unfortunate hunter deaths in two years and both hunters were hunting alone.

Whether it be grizzly bears, chance of getting lost, falling and breaking a leg or whatever, I think everyone can agree it isn't safe to hunt alone.

Most times I have buddies I hunt with but recently two of them have moved off to Sask and the others don't take a significant amount of days off to hunt. What I'm saying is they hunt there days off then leave camp to go back to work.

What do you say we compile a list of guys who would like to have hunting partners. This is not to say it will be permanant but a list that will give a hunter the option to contact another hunter in the same situation that might want to get out for a couple of days or even a day hunt.

Throw some ideas out there guys and see if can get em to float. Alot of new friendships were made this way and some for a lifetime.

If we get something together maybe the mods would keep it pinned to the top for us.
What do you thingk....lets hear some ideas.
Thanx!

Last edited by Tuc; 10-15-2008 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Wrong Title
Old 10-02-2008, 07:24 PM

Default re

I think that is a great suggestion, im always getting stood up by my regular hunting buddies due to random things happening the last minute.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:27 PM

Sounds like a plan... I know my wife would be much happier with me not hunting alone 50% of the time!
Old 10-02-2008, 07:35 PM

Default re

i absolutely refuse to go out alone unless im somewhere very near populated area, on freinds land ect, way too many unseen variables, and too much risk weather, getting lost, being preyed, ( not sure bout you all but ive crossed some awfully big kitty tracks the last few weeks), and last but not least personal injury. Very easy walking the woods to slip, break an ankle or whatever.
Very good idea to compose a list of different people who are looking to get out with others, so they arent putting themselves at risk, when they dont have to.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:44 PM

Default good idea

yup, sounds like a good idea. I'm in.

B
Old 10-02-2008, 07:45 PM

Excellent idea. Maybe the mods could put up a sticky post?
Old 10-02-2008, 07:46 PM

I have a job where the shift is not written in stone. Where I will be in a week from now I do not know, nor how long I will be there. Nor do I know how many days off I will have at the end of the job. Most of my hunting buddies are in the same boat. It is very hard to get together. I will continue to hunt alone, got no choice. Yes I do take more precautions than when I am with a buddy.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-02-2008, 08:13 PM

The way I look at it, nothing in life is safe and hunting by yourself is probably still one of the safest things you can do, if you do it properly. Gotta be safer than mountain climbing. I don't mind hunting with a buddy on occasion, but like Greta Garbo, sometimes I just want to be alone. I always leave a time when I'll be back and exactly where I'll be going. In the event of my getting eaten by a bear, I tell my wife Turnaround is Fair Play.
Grizz
Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 PM

I like to be in the bush alone. But I do leave a map at home and an expected time back. Mrs. has a list of people she can call if need be.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:59 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Hey Tuc, your not too far from me, and Im always lookin for someone to partner up with. PM me if you want to plan a hunt some time!

Jeff
Old 10-02-2008, 09:36 PM

I hear some of you guys, I too enjoy getting out alone and I often do just that on day trips.

With that said, it is still unsafe. I had a buddy back home who was hunting alone in a clearcut, he climbed up on this big rock to take a look see around for some deer. After he was finished looking he decided to jump down off the rock. As he done so his leg lodged in between two fallen trees. He went one way and his leg went 'CRACK'. He broke it between the knee and the ankle. Well, Jim was alone and lucky for him he was a young feller because he had to crawl about a mile back to his truck in the dark. I should also add lucky we don't have to fear grizzlies, wolves or cougars in N.S.
Anyrate, lets ask the mods to pin something to the top and feel free to put your name on it and the location you live in. Some of you guys are well established and have faithfull hunting partners whom you do your trips with year after year....way to go!
But some of us have lost our hunting partners or we maybe starting out as a new hunter and it's always good to have someone you can get out with to share the hunt or even help out the newbies.

Quote:
Hey Tuc, your not too far from me, and Im always lookin for someone to partner up with. PM me if you want to plan a hunt some time!
Addicted, sounds like a great idea. I see you are in Turner Valley, I'm in Airdrie. Right now I am finished my hunting down south (402) and will going out for moose and WT's in November. I will not be setting up the wall tent this year in the Porkcupines, (304) instead we are setting up in 346. I have a partner that will be with be part time but here again, he will only be hunting his days off and then heading back to work. If your interested in something like this by all means send me a PM and we'll talk.

I will PM one of the mods and see if he will stick something to the top....

Come on guys, lets make this work. There have been many of you who have been looking for hunting partners in the past, so put you name on the list and the area you live and like to hunt in. I'm sure you will get lots of response. I don't want to see any of you guys or myself end up like the two unfortunate gents that were hunting the Sundre area. Always put safety first............

All the best & play safe everyone!
Old 10-02-2008, 09:39 PM

Even when I am with someone I hunt alone. I do not like hunting with someone right beside all the time. I take out beginner hunters and say "do you see those 4 deer in the trees".....and I can see them as plane as day and only 25 yards in the trees.....and easy kill but no they don't see them and then the deer are gone.

I am not a good teacher, but I take them out anyways and show them what to look for, for signs, rubs, tracks drinking holes, where the easy kills are, where the hard kills are, where to put up a tree stand if they want to use one during rifle season and when there out there with you and there is 2 feet of snow on the ground you think that you are talking to them but when you turn around there a couple of hundred yards behind you.

Then they ask....."how can you walk through this snow and not worry about tripping over logs etc?"

I can move swiftly though the bush fairly easy.

So hunting with someone is not my bag. Of course I can die or get seriously hurt in any activity I do. Driving on Alberta roadways can be deadly.

As for getting lost well that can happen.....came close in my beginning days of my hunting career, and someone was hunting with me but not togther, but these days I hunt areas that are easy walks, easy kills and no chance of getting lost.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:56 PM

ok guys I stickied this post to the top. Lets try to keep it open for those guys who are looking for partners, willing to take on a partner. Locations of where you are and the dates you are thinking of, or will be available to go out.
Have a safe hunting year an lets not loose anymore borthers/sisters this year.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:57 PM

Thanx Lil!
Well boys, I'll start the list.
  1. Ron, Airdrie, AB. I like to hunt southern and central Alberta.

Last edited by Tuc; 10-02-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 PM

Hey Tuc interested in hooking up with ya in 346. No moose tag but general elk and WT are open and its supplementry zone as well. Can I drag a travel trailer into your spot? Got a quad too. Never hunted that zone before. But worked up north of Marlboro seen lots of moose in there.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Banned

l,m retired , can go anytime , not as limber as l used to be , not up for a sheep hunt , but can walk a couple a miles and always up for a bird hunt , all day or just mornin outings , am in NE calgary , and l smoke in the truck , so if yer over 55 give me a pm , a young fellow is ok too , as long as yer not to fast.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:27 PM

Bud, no talking politics when your hunting. I wouldn't want to see you in a ditch fight as you call it....
And throw those smokes away, they'll stunt your growth...

Honda,
I am putting a wall tent on my a buddies property up there. I would have to ask him about the trailer but you could sure stay in the tent if you like.

I'm headed to Sask on Sat to see one of my ole hunting buddies. I have two lots over there too and will talk to a carpenter about putting a cabin on it, price, time frame, etc. I hope to return by about middle of the week so I will PM you when I get back.
TTYL....
Old 10-02-2008, 10:40 PM

I used to hunt alone all the time, now i usually always have someone to go with as i have introduced many to hunting over the years and they still enjoy my company. But I never go hunting alone or otherwise without letting two people know where I am going and when i expect to return.I give myself 12 hours past my deadline i set when i leave before people are instructed to start making some phone calls. I would rather answer to authorities for being called when i am overdue and found than the alternative.it's just comon sense for someone reliable to be looking out for you when you go somewhere?
Old 10-02-2008, 10:41 PM

10-4 Tuc. I would be coming by myself. Gotta couple of good chainsaws too.
Yeah there Huskys Tree.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 PM

Lets try and keep the chit chat off of this post and just post info of where and when you are available or wanting someone to join you. Then stick to pms after that. In that manner people do not have to read multiple posts that have no bearing on the real reason of this thread, to see if someone in there area is available.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:29 AM

Default Elk-305

Tuc, I may be able to make that work.

Heading to 305 (porcupine hills)for Elk Tommorrow (Sat Oct 4th). If anyone is interested.

Last edited by addictedtohunting; 10-03-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:38 AM

Kaiser Hirsch
Right I can only hunt in 408 but I am willing to travel to hunt later this year and next year. Come Nov. my schedule opens up. Don't have much in the way of work equipment but I can make things happen if the occasion would arise.
KH
Old 10-03-2008, 08:48 AM

Jordan Flower, Airdrie, Hunting on Weekends. South and Central Alberta.

Let me know when.

Thnaks
Old 10-03-2008, 11:14 AM

I would to like find archery hunting partners (weekday evening, mornings and of course weekends). Live in Edmonton (South) ... willing to hunt any WMUs that border 248 (Edm bowzone) S,E,W WMUs preffered. Looking for people to find new land, scout and of course hunt. Weekend trips 2 or 3 hours away for WT/elk/moose/mulie/bison/birds. I'd also be in for going to area where spliting the gas/trip costs. Own a rifle but prefer archery hunting.

Last edited by BigRackLover; 10-28-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:37 AM

I hunt geese and ducks alone. My biggest worries are stepping into a sink hole and getting hauled down or getting shot by a creeper in my goose spread. I'm always looking for others to hunt with.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:17 PM

Default Good idea!

I think this is a pretty dog gone good idea!
My name is Trevor and I have a Muley buck tag in 148. My buddies forgot to put in their draws this year so I will be goin it alone unless someone else is interested. Feel free to pm me. Will also be attempting to fill gen WT tag as well in the same area.

Later,
Trevor W
Old 10-04-2008, 05:26 PM
Alberta Doe

Default Looking for new hunting partner

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-IMG_2564[1].JPG (99.3 KB, 669 views)

Last edited by Alberta Doe; 10-04-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Alberta Doe

Just with a bow...thanks for bringing the sticky to my attention.

Last edited by lilsundance; 10-04-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:23 PM

Going for a walk Sat oct 4, sw of gp, leaving before dawn, whitetail hunting
Old 10-04-2008, 07:19 PM

Mistake, that sun oct 5