Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2269 View Post
to me the best hunt is when I am by myself. I understand when you go out far for a trip.
I too like to hunt alone, and I take Mister Find Me SPOT along with me and with my last breath, I will press the SOS button, not the OK or Help button, and some one will recover my body. (what a way to go)

Bruce.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:01 AM

Default Hunting Partner

Hi Guys and Girls

My hunting buddy ( son is moving to Edmonton to join the City police this week ) and now I am short a pla to hunt with
I live in SE calgary and do the bow and rifle .
Did a lot in 412 but willing to go pretty much anywhere -- can hunt spot and stalk or a drive and spot works
Looking for elk this year maybe down south
Also ducks and geese are fun as well

If anyone is interested maybe pm me and we can chat

Cheers

Ian
Old 04-07-2012, 07:12 AM

I prefer to hunt alone,you have to know your limitations.Its not for everone.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:14 AM

I do not prefer hunting alone but I do like to drink alone with nobody else! yeah!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:29 AM

I'm pretty picky about who I hut with, and prefer to hunt big game alone.
For birds over dogs however, it is for sure a lot more fun when you are in a group.
As far as safety goes, you must be sure everyone knows the rules before you head out.
Cat
Old 04-07-2012, 11:22 AM

I'd like to see what evidence there is that shows hunting by oneself is more dangerous than hunting with others.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:42 AM

I hunt alone most of the time and don't think nothing of it. I feel safer out there than I would walking alone downtown in a big city like Edmonton or Calgary. With tools like SPOT and not taking foolish chances out there and being prepared you are probably more likely to be killed on the way there on the road imo. Beats sitting at home.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:53 AM
Banned

I prefer to hunt in a safe environment. Hunting with a partner or from a camp can be rewarding. However you hunt, make sure your estate is in order because you never know.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:31 PM

Default Hunting Partner

Hi Guys & Girls

My hunting buddy is leaving Calgary ( I live in the S.E.-Deer Run Area) he is my son and is going to Edmonton to join the Edmonton City police .

So here I am -- I hunt with a bow and rifle mostly around Sundre or into 412 as we diod last year .
I hunt elk -deer- geese and duck -pheasant - and would like a sheep with a bow time permits

Dont smoke at all -a drink after the hunt is ok but never during -wear camo - and drive and spot and stalk

Do every week end from start to finish --plan on late season primitive weapon if the draw gods are kind

Tuc or Addicted or Alberta Doe or any one that is ethical send me a PM if interested

Cheers

Ian
Old 08-28-2012, 12:33 PM

Im setting up hunting camp for the following dates
Sept 7,8,9
Sept 21,22,23
Oct 5,6,7

I hunt alone but there are usually a few of us that use the camp as a place to rest our hats at night. There's a little drinking at night around the fire but no partying. Whatever you hunt bow, rifle, shotgun doesn't matter. Some friends just come out for the fresh air and to recharge the batteries.

Camp is north west of Rocky about 40km. If your in the area and just wan to stay to save the morning drive to your destination or even if you need a hand hauling out an animal or cut wood I'm sure I can help you out. I'm Personally staying in a 18ft pull behind trailer but I have a wall tent And stove I can bring for u to use. Just let me know ahead of time and I'll pack it. (no frame, youll need to make a log one which I can help). I also have a small 4 man tent and mattress i can set up for you if youre just starting out. Also, please NO DOGS. I have two with me already. They love children but the young one tends to **** off other dogs with her high energy and it usually ends with a scrap.

PM me or give me a shout ony cell @780 722 5434 before the dates and I'll give you directions. The cell phone works off and on out there so I'd prefer to talk before hand to save confusion.

Last edited by ramonmark; 08-28-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:28 PM

I'm looking for hunting partners. I live in Sylvan Lake area and am relatively new to this area. I have lots of experience hunting elk, deer and moose. I am good at calling and tracking and can "read" a new area fairly quickly if i can get a decent vantage point, as a rule. I love both bow and rifle hunting but prefer the bow overall. Drop me a message or call me at 403 864-9095, if interested, as bow season is just around the corner. I know it is foolish to hunt alone but if i must, i will. I can't let fear stop me from enjoying the great outdoors, can I?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:53 PM

tag a gps tracking device to yourself and bring a satellite phone / boat whistle / fog horn canister in pack
Old 08-07-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
tag a gps tracking device to yourself and bring a satellite phone / boat whistle / fog horn canister in pack
Spot just came out with a new sat phone device that weighs 7 oz I believe. Wonder how good it is.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Banned

Hunting alone is the way to go! If your terrified going in the bush then stay home an knit
Old 08-16-2013, 09:56 AM

Hunting alone is ok cause then you don't gotta worry about anyone else. Don't get me wrong I always have fun goin out with a buddy or two for waterfowl or upland but must times I just wanna can the dog n disappear for a day. But when it come to deer season I always have someone with cause ive had my to close call moments with other people .
Old 09-10-2013, 07:58 PM

Default just moved here to sherwoodpark

I would love to meet with some local hunters and go for some hunts please reply to me if u interested.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I like to be in the bush alone. But I do leave a map at home and an expected time back. Mrs. has a list of people she can call if need be.
Exactly what I do!!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 PM

I fell through a seemingly harmless log jam fly fishing last sunday, ahead of the big snow. I realized no one even knew where I had gone. An accomplice is always a good investment, even if you have to share the creek.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:27 AM

Default Lethbridge

Im 40 old in lethbridge ,elk cow wmu305 oct 25 to D25
If go same place let chat
thank you.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:20 AM

Tuc / addictedtohunting
In the Calgary area and more than happy to join down in the hills
Old 10-02-2018, 02:55 PM

Default Seeking Small Game Hunting Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
I think that is a great suggestion, I'm always getting stood up by my regular hunting buddies due to random things happening the last minute.
Hello, Thank you for the suggestion dragon1, I am new to hunting and to the forum. I seek a small game hunting partner for non traditional meat harvest such as Beaver, Ground Hog, Rabbit. I am a teacher in Red Deer. Also interested in helping any landowner with problem wildlife listed.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:16 AM

Default 8p3RFY

Good Idea
Old 09-24-2021, 04:17 PM

Default Hunting

Looking for a hunting partner in the Lethbridge area. I a 65 and hunted all my life. Just moved to the area and province. Would like for someone to show me where to hunt and teach me the ropes on hunting in your province. Irv Miller
Old 09-24-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaduck View Post
Looking for a hunting partner in the Lethbridge area. I a 65 and hunted all my life. Just moved to the area and province. Would like for someone to show me where to hunt and teach me the ropes on hunting in your province. Irv Miller
Make the same post here >> http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=38944

Someone in the area likely chime in.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:50 PM

I actually think everyone should go hunting alone for a few days at least once in their life.

Totally different experience and there's things about hunting alone you can't get from hunting with another person(s)
Old 09-24-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeroot View Post
I actually think everyone should go hunting alone for a few days at least once in their life.

Totally different experience and there's things about hunting alone you can't get from hunting with another person(s)

This is 100% spot on. I think we grow as hunters when we experience it alone. I've been doing the past 4 whitetail November's solo primarily because my pvt land permission is only for one. I've heard things and seen things I likely wouldn't have with a partner, and there's something about even scaring yourself a little and processing your animal solo that makes it more gratifying.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev View Post
I like to be in the bush alone. But I do leave a map at home and an expected time back. Mrs. has a list of people she can call if need be.

Like most, I to like the tranquility of being by yourself however, I have come to the age that I know and exercise my limitations and safety. Having a buddy along is nice on the drive to and from home.....

Long gone are the days driving old logging roads, sleeping in the back of your truck or tent over several days; climbing steep shale and forging strong rivers.

These are the memories I'll have forever.

Now a days, I am usually within a mile from the truck and home at night...

Be safe....and enjoy,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 09-26-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:33 PM
Banned

I've been trapping alone on my line for over 20 yrs now..and maybe a handful of times has anyone been with me....that I could see..I have to consider myself fortunate in not having any incidents...touch wood.The only people who might know where I am ,are those in the coffee shop...when I don't show in the morning....Jokingly, I have been heard to say that if I don't show up for a week....to look for the ravens...they will show you where I am at...
Old 09-27-2021, 06:26 AM

I prefer to hunt alone always have 40 years now sometimes it's nice to have someone in Camp to help you haul something out or whatever which I do now but I still spend most of my time hunting Alone I carry a Garmin 66i inreach. Don't be afraid of the woods you got to go some way😀
Old 09-27-2021, 10:24 AM

Just like Sourdough has said if you trap you are alone in the bush. If you are a good bush hunter you are alone as soon as you walk a mile from camp. When I was younger I would track elk for 20 miles in one day. How the hell would anyone know where I am, most times I did not know where I was, never lost just little confused for an hour or two.