Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
what the hell difference does it make how pregnant the cow is? The vast majority of elk are killed in the post rut. Basically any cow elk shot in october and november is likely pregnant. Is this ok with your narrow minded view? The fact of the matter is this is strictly a population management hunt. Not a "make sure she aint knocked up hunt".
Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
So then it is acceptable to kill animals, just not the babies? Or is it it because they are expecting mommies? Perhaps if we were to all pitch in and live capture the elk and then run some sort of nuter/spay clinic the anti hunters would then realize that we are just good people who care and because of that they will overlook the fact that we murder the grownup animals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
This is such misguided logic it is almost laughable - except that it is fervently believed which makes it scary. Mulecrazy has it covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Residentguide's comment is laughable.

And pathetic.

But when considering the source, expected and unsurprising.

Whatcha going to do Justin, call the newspapers and peta?
So why don't they just make it a end of April hunt. Same thing right? You guys need to give your heads a shake. You may laugh but I am not the only one that hunts that believes this. Like I said why is this hunt happening so late? Maybe they should issue more tags earlier than late. The stupid in this province blows me away. Walking buffalo for the how ever may times my name is not Justin. Sounds like you are infatuated by him.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
These licences come with two tags, one for the cow and one for the fetus.
Yep you posted it !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
The fetus is going to be very recognizable... I shot a cow in late January and could deffinaty tell the fetus. It was the size of a back pack and you could see the joints poking out. I know if I get drawn I'll be shooting a great tasting calf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If drawn, myself and my hunting partner will be picking out some yearlings or calves. I don't see the opportunity as a challenging hunt, but I won't pass up the opportunity to put some nice elk meat in the freezer.
Sounds like a few other have the same mentality about shooting pregnant cows and won't but a calf is ok. So my statement is not as laughable as you guys state.
Old 12-28-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchardy1972 View Post
Has any woman that you know ever lacked the extra reserves while pregnant? I know my wife didn't lean out.
Fell off my chair
Old 12-28-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residentguide View Post
Yep you posted it !!!
Sounds like a few other have the same mentality about shooting pregnant cows and won't but a calf is ok. So my statement is not as laughable as you guys state.
It's more of a case of us possibly drawing two tags each, and we both own half ton trucks.Four mature cows , plus the two of us, and our gear, are more than I want to haul 1000km in a halfton.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
It's more of a case of us possibly drawing two tags each, and we both own half ton trucks.Four mature cows , plus the two of us, and our gear, are more than I want to haul 1000km in a halfton.
The other thing wrong with this hunt is two tags per guy. Really who needs 2 elk tags? I think there will be a bit of wasted meat as two elk is to much for most to deal with but I could be wrong.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:12 PM

Two calves = one bull. Meat wise anyway...
Old 12-28-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
The other thing wrong with this hunt is two tags per guy. Really who needs 2 elk tags? I think there will be a bit of wasted meat as two elk is to much for most to deal with but I could be wrong.

You don't get it man. This is a management (aka "cull") to get a problematic herd under control. There are plenty of hunters who will make great use of the meat. There are several WMU's that elk season goes into January. Including the 3 weeks of elk hunts in Suffield leading up to this one that followed the normal draw process. And as a management hunt to reduce the heard, taking out pregnant cows serves the purpose. The alternative that the farmers want is cull from helicopters...no one wins with that solution.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Twice as many elk killed, with no more hunters to keep safe and organized, it looks like a good idea to me. If I kill two elk, none of it will be wasted, what doesn't go into my freezer, will be given to a friend that was not able to hunt this year for health reasons.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonMS View Post
You don't get it man. This is a management (aka "cull") to get a problematic herd under control. There are plenty of hunters who will make great use of the meat. There are several WMU's that elk season goes into January. Including the 3 weeks of elk hunts in Suffield leading up to this one that followed the normal draw process. And as a management hunt to reduce the heard, taking out pregnant cows serves the purpose. The alternative that the farmers want is cull from helicopters...no one wins with that solution.
I get it loud and clear this is a cull. Put more people if you want to kill more. They say they only want X number of people on the base but allow every Indian and there buddies in. So why do people get two tags? Lots of the crap going on at Suffield makes no sense at all. More stellar work from Esrd.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I get it loud and clear this is a cull. Put more people if you want to kill more. They say they only want X number of people on the base but allow every Indian and there buddies in. So why do people get two tags? Lots of the crap going on at Suffield makes no sense at all. More stellar work from Esrd.
More people means more people to supervise and keep organized, as well as overcrowding that could present safety issues.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Twice as many elk killed, with no more hunters to keep safe and organized, it looks like a good idea to me. If I kill two elk, none of it will be wasted, what doesn't go into my freezer, will be given to a friend that was not able to hunt this year for health reasons.
well good to hear you won't waste anything. As for people to keep safe and organized that is bogus or they would shut down all hunting to ensure safety. Sounds like a bunch of elk are going to be wounded and turned to coyote bait.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:44 PM

Residentguide I have no problem with you being not willing to shoot pregnant cows but you sure sound like an anti hunter. The worst kind of anti hunter is one that poses as a hunter.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
Residentguide I have no problem with you being not willing to shoot pregnant cows but you sure sound like an anti hunter. The worst kind of anti hunter is one that poses as a hunter.
I am a hunter. I am ok shooting a pregnant cow. I am not when they are 2/3 term. The calf is almost 2/3's the size when born. I am far from a anti hunter.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
I am a hunter. I am ok shooting a pregnant cow. I am not when they are 2/3 term. The calf is almost 2/3's the size when born. I am far from a anti hunter.
Resident, pregnant is pregnant.
Same result in October.

Please don't put human values on game animals. Its not that big of a stretch from this to not taking calves.

This is a cull. Go out and get some meat. One way or another these animals are going to die. Might as well be from us.

Jamie
Old 12-28-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I am a hunter. I am ok shooting a pregnant cow. I am not when they are 2/3 term.
Then dont. Move on.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Resident, pregnant is pregnant.
Same result in October.

Please don't put human values on game animals. Its not that big of a stretch from this to not taking calves.

This is a cull. Go out and get some meat. One way or another these animals are going to die. Might as well be from us.

Jamie
Jamie it is a big difference. But you should go shoot your cow and calf. Don't waste the calf meat.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Then dont. Move on.
Dont like what I post. Don't read it.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Jamie it is a big difference. But you should go shoot your cow and calf. Don't waste the calf meat.
Whats the difference? The idea is to let some of us hunt and at the same time reduce the herd to a acceptable number. This isn't all about being a sportsmen. Its about reducing the herd and using hunters as that tool.

Knock a pregnant cow down and you have 1/2 the work.
Might try that bit with the fetus. could be good meat.

Jamie
Old 12-28-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Dont like what I post. Don't read it.
I just dont think you should be deciding on what is moral or ethical for the rest of the hunting community. If this hunt doesnt fall into your vision of what is right, then dont apply. Pretty sure most guys here who dont want to shoot a pregnant cow can figure out which ones are calves or yearlings. I dont shoot does or cows with fawns or calves but I wouldnt want to push my ethics on someone else.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Whats the difference? The idea is to let some of us hunt and at the same time reduce the herd to a acceptable number. This isn't all about being a sportsmen. Its about reducing the herd and using hunters as that tool.

Knock a pregnant cow down and you have 1/2 the work.
Might try that bit with the fetus. could be good meat.

Jamie
Totally different. Open your eyes and tell me the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
I just dont think you should be deciding on what is moral or ethical for the rest of the hunting community. If this hunt doesnt fall into your vision of what is right, then dont apply. Pretty sure most guys here who dont want to shoot a pregnant cow can figure out which ones are calves or yearlings. I dont shoot does or cows with fawns or calves but I wouldnt want to push my ethics on someone else.
i am going to apply and so is every person I know. We are going to go watch the elk and not shoot any. This is a cull only not a hunt. I don't condone culls. They should transplant or have a regular hunt annual that is not late like this cull.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

i am going to apply and so is every person I know. We are going to go watch the elk and not shoot any. This is a cull only not a hunt. I don't condone culls. They should transplant or have a regular hunt annual that is not late like this cull.
Actually, if thats the way you feel about culls just drawing a tag and not buying it would achieve the same purpose. Don't have to bother wasting the money and time to go watch them. I wonder how many other people will draw tags and not actualy hunt? If esrd was really serious about culling some of these elk you'd think you would have to pay for the tags upfront, or have a time limit before they went to undersubscribed.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:

^^^ is this a PETA web site?

Should be thankful that they are even letting hunters help with this problem on the base. They don't have too. I guess it would be better in your eyes if they just gunned them all down with a helicopter and left them for the coyotes or dig a hole for them fetus and all. It is a cull hunt, and well needed. If you as hunter don't want a part of it because of your twisted believe's don't participate. There is lots that will and will be thankful for the oppotunity.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Actually, if thats the way you feel about culls just drawing a tag and not buying it would achieve the same purpose. Don't have to bother wasting the money and time to go watch them. I wonder how many other people will draw tags and not actualy hunt? If esrd was really serious about culling some of these elk you'd think you would have to pay for the tags upfront, or have a time limit before they went to undersubscribed.
Never having hunted Suffield or surrounding area I have another question. Where do you stay at night? Are there towns within reasonable driving distance with hotels/motels? Is Bassano close enough to be viable?
I know some hardcore hunters that have told me they will be sleeping in thier trucks, but I am not that hardcore, esp. in Feb.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Like I said I will apply and go. Just not shoot. Maybe I will bring a native or 10 to shoot bulls.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Like I said I will apply and go. Just not shoot. Maybe I will bring a native or 10 to shoot bulls.
Res.Guide. U realize that its talk like your doing here in this thread that is not just primarily, but exactly what forms the reasoning behind why the voice of the Ab resident simply cannot and will not be heard with regards to the management of our fish, wildlife and habitat, on any level, hey...

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 12-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
They should transplant or have a regular hunt annual that is not late like this cull.
Actually I think the idea of transplanting elk is a good one. No hunting opportunities would be lost, and I am sure there are a few areas where around 2000 elk could be spread around in Alberta, and possibly a 1000 a year ongoing? Keep the transported elk in areas farther away from farm land, to prevent crop damage, probably in the Northern crown land areas. What would the downside be, if any for hunters?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:05 PM

^ Expensive.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
^ Expensive.
Make that very expensive.
At the same time, our govt. wastes money on lots of other things.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Never having hunted Suffield or surrounding area I have another question. Where do you stay at night? Are there towns within reasonable driving distance with hotels/motels? Is Bassano close enough to be viable?
I know some hardcore hunters that have told me they will be sleeping in thier trucks, but I am not that hardcore, esp. in Feb.
When we hunted this fall we stayed in Med Hat, roughly a 25 min drive to the base and it has everything. I wouldn't imagine sleeping in a truck would be fun, esp since the rooms are cheap enough (~$100/night). Depending on snow conditions, chains would be a good idea (if you don't bring them you know you'll need them). Get comfortable at long shots...you'll find it handy, you can't really sneak up on them...there are essentially no trees.

It is definitely a cull, the meat will be fine. This is not the first late season cull held in Alberta (Magrath IIRC a few years ago) and they can be quite effective. If we don't take a role in this cull, we won't be invited back. They want the herd pared back and this will happen one way or another.

I never figured out why we like to kick each other in the shins. If you don't like what someone is doing (as long as it's legal) then shut up and move on. It makes me shake my head when AO members joust with each other over morality...some of us are our own worst enemies!

The hunt is certainly worth doing, elk like you have never seen before.
Zeke
Old 12-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
^ Expensive.
That is a downside for the govt (taxpayer), but there are already costs (?) with organizing and monitoring the hunts on the base. The initial move may be costly, but planned on a yearly basis, probably affordable, and much easier to regulate and possibly cheaper, than the hunt on the base.