Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-13-2023, 03:00 PM

Default 150 zones Antelope.

Hey Fellas, drew my first antelope tag ever for this year in 150,151,152. Been ringing alot of phones for permission and letting them know my intentions to go personally meet all the ranchers and farmers I can that grant acces when I get down there before season, but boy am I getting shut down alot due to the drought conditions. Obviously everything being foot access only, I'm surprised to get turned away so much just because of the dryness, picked a bad year for a tag apparently. Anybody else in the same boat or past experience of these zones care to chime in? Feels like a kick in the ***** waiting this long for a tag and getting denied left and right.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:02 PM

A friend of mine is turning people away first time in 25 years I have been there.

Crazy. Zero rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2023, 04:15 PM

You will (hopefully) have a better appreciation when you get down here. Save for the occasional storm there has been zero precipitation in these zones since Spring. The fire risk is off the charts and farmers ranchers are in a bind. It is still close to 30C and often windy, so a fire could get away in a heartbeat. I feel for you however the conditions are extreme and many landowners simply won't take the chance of allowing access.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
You will (hopefully) have a better appreciation when you get down here. Save for the occasional storm there has been zero precipitation in these zones since Spring. The fire risk is off the charts and farmers ranchers are in a bind. It is still close to 30C and often windy, so a fire could get away in a heartbeat. I feel for you however the conditions are extreme and many landowners simply won't take the chance of allowing access.
I have a sister that lives down south not far from those zones i visit fairly often, so I can appreciate how dry it really is, my confusion is just how a guy hiking for an antelope is a fire hazard
Old 09-13-2023, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods boy View Post
I have a sister that lives down south not far from those zones i visit fairly often, so I can appreciate how dry it really is, my confusion is just how a guy hiking for an antelope is a fire hazard
Cigarette butts, or something as simple as dropping something metal and it hits a rock and gives off a little spark. Lots of ways to start a fire. It's been dry for 2 years and dugouts haven't had any water.
Old 09-13-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Cigarette butts, or something as simple as dropping something metal and it hits a rock and gives off a little spark. Lots of ways to start a fire. It's been dry for 2 years and dugouts haven't had any water.
Well walking around hacking darts in those conditions would just be a retarded thing to do..
Old 09-13-2023, 05:25 PM

If ya don’t smoke and are just on foot or driving main roads I don’t see what the big deal is. I think a lot of it is lease holders just wanting to have more control.
Old 09-13-2023, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
If ya don’t smoke and are just on foot or driving main roads I don’t see what the big deal is. I think a lot of it is lease holders just wanting to have more control.
100 % agree
Old 09-13-2023, 07:24 PM

Last edited by sakogreywolf; 09-13-2023 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Yep. Walking isn’t a fire risk, but that loop hole is built into the stupid access rules.

Pretty sad when someone pulls a once in a lifetime tag and gets jerked around. And then they wonder why hunters don’t ask.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:39 PM

I would imagine at almost 59 there is a good possibility that this fall may be my last antelope hunt. I’ve farmed my entire life and am smart enough to not cause any fires.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Pretty sad when someone pulls a once in a lifetime tag and gets jerked around.
That’s the chance one takes when applying for draws!
Old 09-14-2023, 08:07 AM

Going to be a tough one it seems this year, I've got a much fire prevention as I can carry in a pack. Fire blanket, fire extinguisher and a shovel. Hopefully that puts some landowners minds at ease. Have absolutely no intention of driving my vehicle anywhere except the road

Last edited by Backwoods boy; 09-14-2023 at 08:25 AM.
Old 09-14-2023, 08:00 PM

There's a couple community pastures/grazing reserves at the south end of 150.buffalo and remount.its been a few years since I was in there but we saw antelope. Might be easier to get permission in there.should be able to Google the contact info.
Old 09-16-2023, 09:31 PM

Seen tons in 152 last year and a few big boys too! Shoot me a pm and I can fill you in!
Old 09-16-2023, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Hate to say it but I think so too. I got foot access only permission a few years ago, but had to be off by 11 am because of fire conditions. Only to see the lease holder driving his truck through the long grass around the place.
Old 09-16-2023, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Dryer this year then it was about five years ago. The year a fire fighter lost his life as well as a few hundred head of cattle, a ton of wild life, burned thousands of acres and nearly lost a couple smaller villages. So ya farmers and ranchers are nervous. Heck, I have not even ventured out into the gopher patch's this year. It is that dry!!. Sorry for your bad luck on the draw. But to repeat, it is dry, tinder dry.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
You sound like all those safety experts that I deal with everyday on site. “What if?” I don’t live in a what if world. Be smart, respectful and it’ll all be good. It was dry down there the last 2 times I hunted antelope. Didn’t start no fires stalking the herds.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
You sound like all those safety experts that I deal with everyday on site. “What if?” I don’t live in a what if world. Be smart, respectful and it’ll all be good. It was dry down there the last 2 times I hunted antelope. Didn’t start no fires stalking the herds.
Yep most guys would be fine but all it takes is that one idiot to not be smart
Old 09-21-2023, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger300 View Post
Nope but that missed shot that just happens to hit a granite rock might! Or that small piece of grass that got caught in your exhaust on the way out to the field. Similar to the farmer who hit a rock with the header on his swather, nearly burnt down the North side of Medicine Hat. It may never happen but what if it does?

Most people are good to go, many however are not.
Old 09-22-2023, 01:35 AM

I call bs. It’s just another attempt for lease holders to control land that doesn’t belong to them. They get this land for almost next to nothing and throw cattle out on it.. I would guess that more fires are started by either lightning or farmers themselves with equipment failures than what hunters have ever started. Hey I get it we have lease land ourselves but not everyone is out to screw the farmer.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:28 AM

It does happen from time to time, a case in point is the Lytton fire in BC was caused by a spark from a train into extremely dry brush. However have watched many a train hauling freight on rail lines in the middle of no where in Southern Alberta. Why is there no great concern about the possible fires caused by a spark from one of the train wheels. Just saying.......
Old 09-22-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
It does happen from time to time, a case in point is the Lytton fire in BC was caused by a spark from a train into extremely dry brush. However have watched many a train hauling freight on rail lines in the middle of no where in Southern Alberta. Why is there no great concern about the possible fires caused by a spark from one of the train wheels. Just saying.......
Many fires were are started by the CP trains west and east bound from the Hat. But they finally started cutting the weeds and pouring gravel ten feet or more on each side of the tracks so the fire hazard is lessened.

In regards to some of the other posts in this thread.

I am not saying that access is getting easier it is actually getting much harder. Which is mainly due to people from both sides of the spectrum being total jerks. They feel that "this land is your land, this land is my land" And go on such lands with the privilege of this thought. Being a short term tourist is not the same thing as being a full time caretaker. Some would do well to remember that.
Old 09-25-2023, 10:56 PM

Pulled it together in the first 45 minutes this morning on public land of all places.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB_IMG_1695704160992.jpg (78.4 KB, 303 views)
Old 09-26-2023, 06:51 AM

Congrats, thats a very fine trophy you took . Both tips are facing inwards and a very nice bend in deed . Hopefully you marked the waypoint so you can return in 13 years and do it again .
Old 09-26-2023, 08:01 AM

Great antelope! Congratulations! Did you have him scouted out on Sunday or did you just happen upon him Monday morning?
Old 09-26-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthedream View Post
Great antelope! Congratulations! Did you have him scouted out on Sunday or did you just happen upon him Monday morning?
I actually had a different one picked out but he was a bit smaller than this one
Old 09-26-2023, 08:20 AM

Congrats on your Antelope, glad everything worked out for you.

Have a few running around that will be in the high 70's, nice to see the herds are still healthy
Old 09-26-2023, 10:45 AM

Ya dude!!! congrats!
Old 09-27-2023, 06:22 PM

What a great looking buck.

Glad you were able to put together a good hunt.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."