Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-19-2023, 08:38 PM

Default Youth Elk Mentor

My 14 year old son is working really hard to get a Bull with the bow.
Good hunter and a very good shot.
We have been out several times so far but no joy. I know even less than him as I’ve never hunted Elk either.
It’s a long shot but anyone out there willing to mentor him and show him the ropes?
We live in Cochrane.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

A
Old 09-20-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
We have been out several times so far but no joy. I know even less than him as I’ve never hunted Elk either.
It’s a long shot but anyone out there willing to mentor him and show him the ropes?
We live in Cochrane.

A
Best thing you can do to help him succeed is go knock on doors at some of the ranches north west of Cochrane.
When you get access, please adopt me.
Old 09-21-2023, 09:45 AM

Default elk

Dogsbody, at 14 trying to take elk with bow somewhat challenging task. I would suggest developing his hunting skill with rifle first then can graduate to bow hunting. Usually need a Phd in elk hunting and very high density elk population before you can bow hunt them.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:21 AM

I would suggest investing the few bucks into the Elk 101 online course. It taught me a ton, and was the difference between just seeing elk and consistently bringing elk into bow range.

Outside of private land permission, putting km on the boots will be your best bet.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:48 AM

Elk hunting is not whitetail hunting. Took me something like 11 years, jumped around too much. When I put 3 years of scouting, 15 days scouting preseason, 23 days hunting, and 7 priority points into one area, I got an elk.

”Out several times” well that’s good - keep at it, another 3-4 seasons in the same zone maybe he will learn enough to get it done. Hope he started scouting august 1, but the rut and hunting pressure will have moved the elk by now.

There’s two ways to kill an elk with a bow. Calling or ambush. Calling must be perfect, because everyone has seen the primos videos and runs around screaming like a herd of wounded jackrabbits. The elk know the difference. Tons of practice and a good ear required.

Ambush is less technical, but requires more patience. You find a spot that the elk MUST use. Not a food source, or any place they have only used once or twice. An absolute no-way-around spot. Some hidden saddle, waterhole, lick, pinch point, etc. and you sit and wait. Maybe a week, maybe a month before they come back. But if you know you are looking at the right spot, you dedicate the time and effort, and you will get a chance.

And you do all this while living life and shooting your bow every day.

Elk hunting is not wandering around like a fart in the wind, hoping. The only 14 year olds that I know who kill elk have exclusive permission on private land and daddy knowing and telling them what to do.
Old 09-21-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Elk hunting is not whitetail hunting. Took me something like 11 years, jumped around too much. When I put 3 years of scouting, 15 days scouting preseason, 23 days hunting, and 7 priority points into one area, I got an elk.

”Out several times” well that’s good - keep at it, another 3-4 seasons in the same zone maybe he will learn enough to get it done. Hope he started scouting august 1, but the rut and hunting pressure will have moved the elk by now.

There’s two ways to kill an elk with a bow. Calling or ambush. Calling must be perfect, because everyone has seen the primos videos and runs around screaming like a herd of wounded jackrabbits. The elk know the difference. Tons of practice and a good ear required.

Ambush is less technical, but requires more patience. You find a spot that the elk MUST use. Not a food source, or any place they have only used once or twice. An absolute no-way-around spot. Some hidden saddle, waterhole, lick, pinch point, etc. and you sit and wait. Maybe a week, maybe a month before they come back. But if you know you are looking at the right spot, you dedicate the time and effort, and you will get a chance.

And you do all this while living life and shooting your bow every day.

Elk hunting is not wandering around like a fart in the wind, hoping. The only 14 year olds that I know who kill elk have exclusive permission on private land and daddy knowing and telling them what to do.
Truth.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:34 PM

Watch Randy Newberg's older stuff on hunting elk. It'll help flatten the learning curve for someone who wasn't taught this stuff. Not perfect, but it's a start.
Quote:

We live in Cochrane.

A
Old 09-21-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
I would suggest investing the few bucks into the Elk 101 online course. It taught me a ton, and was the difference between just seeing elk and consistently bringing elk into bow range.

Outside of private land permission, putting km on the boots will be your best bet.
Elk101 is part of the outdoor class now which has a whole wack load of good videos from calling to setup (Both rifle and bow). A bit of money but I found it a useful learning tool. Although I haven't gotten my first elk with bow or rifle yet and its been a few years. Always fun learning and trying to find them though.
Old 09-21-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
Truth.
Yeah this is pretty spot on IMO.
Old 09-21-2023, 05:02 PM

I am not an elk hunter so not going to be a big help.

But screw all this negativity talk you don’t accomplish anything if you listen to that crap. Except that it’s going to be a challenge but if your sons goal is an elk with a bow put in the work and get it done.

I have heard so much negative crap regarding things I have chosen as goals regarding hunting/fishing in my life it’s unreal. Guess what I have accomplished a lot of things others say are were hard

There is always hunters who go out a get it done constantly where others fail, on species that are tough, in areas with “no game”, and with every weapon you can think of. I can tell you anyone I know who falls in this category didn’t let negative people dictate what they do

And yes there are bow hunters who are constantly taking bull elk every year even though it’s “hard”

I say if you’re boy is willing to go out with the mindset of wanting to become a great elk hunter with a goal to learn instead of fill tags he will do fine

Those who give up and let others opinions hold them back are not the people who accomplish great things. It’s all a matter of how bad he wants and is he willing to put in the work to build the skills to accomplish his goals
Old 09-21-2023, 06:49 PM

Its all about hunting private farm land ,and having cameras up .
If you have that ,the hardest part is done .
Old 09-21-2023, 07:44 PM

Just go out the 2 of you, make it about hunting together, father and son. Enjoy the road. One day you will get into the elk, even if by fluke the first couple times, he may not take one but it will be the best thing to happen to both of you and something you both will remember far better then someone else leading you to them and getting your son a shot at one.
Old 09-22-2023, 02:40 PM

Sounds like a great opportunity to learn together ! Though some people have success every year , I think in reality it’s a ground for the large majority of us, low success rates.

I’ve mostly taught myself, I’ve managed a cow with bow and small bull with rifle. It’s doable , though I’ve prolly put in over 75 days now over 6 years and still looking for first bull with bow. Maybe by time my two year old son can hunt I’ll have it more figured out
Old 09-22-2023, 05:59 PM

It take a while but once you figure out elk they are as easy as any other animal, in my teens I got good at calling and learned a bunch of areas. After that I’ve successfully killed bulls every year, some archery in the rut some with a rifle in the late season, all in areas I learned previously. Very rarely do we have success in a brand new area unless it is the rut. Even then we know what to look for.
Old 09-23-2023, 12:27 PM

I agree with Smokey. This was my first year bow hunting for elk, first day of the hunt we called a bull in and my double lung shot at 56 yards tipped him over. I’m only 2 years older then your boy so no doubt he can learn and maybe run into the same luck I did haha. Our attack plan was simple. Rolled up the night before in the dark, listened and located bugles. Next morning hiked in to where we heard the elk and waited on the edge of a field. Then elk starting calling all around us and my dad and I lured in a bull (5x5). Definitely some luck involved but that’s how hunting can be sometimes.
Super exciting!
Old 09-26-2023, 10:56 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the input and comments.
We have progressed to actually seeing some Elk and he actually got to call in a Bull to 80yds before getting winded.
So progress is being made and he is going in the right direction.

Thanks again.

DB
Old 09-26-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
We have progressed to actually seeing some Elk and he actually got to call in a Bull to 80yds before getting winded.

Thanks again.

DB
That's great news! You are definitely on the right track.
Old 09-26-2023, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Thanks again.

DB
You mentioned your boy was calling, are you able to call? Sometimes best to set up the shooter 50 yards or so in front of the caller. That way when the bulls get nervous to where the call is coming from they are closer to the shooter. If you would have been calling and your boy 50 yards in front of you the bull could have been at 30 yards and possibly in range. Scent control is a must, spray boots and clothes, wearing a cover scent wafer can all help to close the distance to within shooting range. They are a smart animal and their nose is their defense. When they wind you it’s game over.
Old 09-27-2023, 09:49 AM

getting them to talk and come to calls is a start.

Closing the last 80 to 100 yards is the hardest part IMO

Spent 9 years getting busted, winded and seen before I figured that part out. Once you get there it, becomes way easier.

You guys are on the right track. If you are having interactions with elk, you can kill one.

Learn the half moon maneuver and use it religiously. No exceptions, elk trust their noses 100% of the time and will run you ragged trying to hook downwind. You MUST stay in front of them and use this against them. Its not often you can arrow one from the same boot tracks you called from if you are caller and shooter.
Old 09-28-2023, 10:30 AM

Here is video of a successful elk hunt that was done in BC. Goes over the trials and tribulations that a bow hunter has to go through before finally getting the bull elk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_Vokkil748
Old 09-28-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
learn the half moon maneuver and use it religiously. No exceptions
I'm curious - What is the half-moon maneuver?
Old 09-28-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I'm curious - What is the half-moon maneuver?
Just a half moon circle 30 or 40 yards down wind after calling. Don't get caught where you called from. Rocky Jacobson taught me that one and changed my elk hunting career. Went from getting winded by held up bulls to dropping them during their own half moon circle downwind.
Old 09-28-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
Just a half moon circle 30 or 40 yards down wind after calling. Don't get caught where you called from. Rocky Jacobson taught me that one and changed my elk hunting career. Went from getting winded by held up bulls to dropping them during their own half moon circle downwind.

Ah, cool! Thank you!