Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-28-2023, 05:20 PM

Default .338 Federal Results

I was out for 6 days with friends chasing a herd bull around, lots of elk about and lots of noise, but didn't see one at all. Last morning to hunt, and I had determined to take any legal bull I saw, because, meat. Long story short, I had a 2 second glimpse of a legal (barely) satellite bull while the herd bull was going berserk thrashing and bugling 50 yards away in the thick stuff. I hit him at about 80 yards, quartering towards me. Entry in front of right shoulder, took out both lungs, broke the second last rib on left side and lodged under the hide. I was shooting a 200 gr Trophy Bonded Tip, and it expanded perfectly. The elk ran about 75 yards and piled up. Recovered bullet weighed 190.9 grains, but there was still bits of elk under the petals, so call it 190 grains for a retention of 95%. I like that bullet design! Kind of a cross between a TSX and a Partition. I just started using the .338 Fed, and I like it. Perfect cartridge for 300 yards and in, which is all the shots I have to make. Most are under 200 yards. Short action, light rifle, moderate recoil. What more could you ask for?

And the tenderloins were amazing!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-28-2023, 05:32 PM

Nicely done TC. That should be a good eating elk.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:40 PM

Oh, it was some yummy!! Here is a pro tip for all you cooks. Put a 1/4 cup of fine espresso ground dark roast coffee in your spice rub recipe. Thank me later.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-28-2023, 05:42 PM

Very nice!
Jealous
Old 09-28-2023, 05:45 PM

I'm still sore. There is that...

Old 09-28-2023, 06:03 PM

I want one.
A 338 fed that is. Or maybe a 338-06..... oh bugger maybe one of each! Seems like a great mid range elk gun. Plenty of energy at 30 yds without demolishing meat yet still enough to get to 400 yds. Im a huge fan of high shoulder on bush elk but i dont love gooey bloodshot shoulders... but my 45-70 is really lacking for those cutline crossing elk at 350yds... a mid speed 338 sounds like the perfect medicine. Make mine a featherlight mod 70 20" barrel with irons and a low powered scope in QD mounts please
Old 09-28-2023, 06:19 PM

I really went back and forth on the .338 Fed and the .338-06 A Frame (Prophet River had a Cooper in the -06 that I almost bit on). Ultimately I settled on the short action, more moderate Federal because I have osteoarthritis in my shoulders and wanted to manage the recoil in a light rifle. Also, if you went with the -06, I figured you may as well get a .338 WM and not muck about.

There really isn't a wrong answer. Any of those lobbing a 200+ gr bullet is going to work.

Old 09-28-2023, 06:36 PM

Yours is a fantastic rifle. I like large moderate vel calibers for general elk hunting. The 45-70 is almost the ultimate but it limits me to 200 yds. Id love 45-70 like performance up close but a 400 yd capability. The 338 fed seems like it could be the ticket.
Old 09-28-2023, 06:43 PM

You are one of the few people I would loan it to, if you want to try it. You still have a tag or two to fill?

Old 09-28-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
You are one of the few people I would loan it to, if you want to try it. You still have a tag or two to fill?
Oh such a nice offer! Instead how bout next year i try to put a bull in your crosshairs.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:05 PM

I didn't want to ask, but I totally accept! Deal!

Old 09-28-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I really went back and forth on the .338 Fed and the .338-06 A Frame (Prophet River had a Cooper in the -06 that I almost bit on). Ultimately I settled on the short action, more moderate Federal because I have osteoarthritis in my shoulders and wanted to manage the recoil in a light rifle. Also, if you went with the -06, I figured you may as well get a .338 WM and not muck about.

There really isn't a wrong answer. Any of those lobbing a 200+ gr bullet is going to work.
Yeah, if I reloaded I would probably be shooting one of those two rounds. At the ranges I usually kill stuff the extra velocity of a magnum would be worse than useless, the idea of going to a bigger bullet is much more appealing but I dont really want to go the 45-70 route. I think something in the .338 Fed to 350Rem range would be ideal for a guy that mainly hunts bush, but does need to make the very occasional 300 yard shot.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:20 PM

Good job TC!
I'm also a .338 kinda guy...
Old 09-28-2023, 07:39 PM

Nice job!

However that elk is over cooked man! Rare to Med-Rare!!!!
Old 09-28-2023, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Nice job!

I knew someone was going say something...

I used to be a rare or medium rare guy, but over the years I have come to prefer medium. Don't hate me.

Old 09-28-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I knew someone was going say something...

I used to be a rare or medium rare guy, but over the years I have come to prefer medium. Don't hate me.
That’s just the old age coming out
Old 09-28-2023, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
Nice job!

I was gonna say, haha.

Well done, TC. Cool that you got on the action too, it’s best time spent. It’s been a little quite here, a few bugles here and there but nothing extraordinary. I haven’t been out enough to stay this with certainty though.

Congrats on the bull and thanks for sharing.
Old 09-28-2023, 08:55 PM

Excellent job TC, sounds like a great hunt
Old 09-28-2023, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
Excellent job TC, sounds like a great hunt
335 lbs of elk on the hook in cooler agrees.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:24 AM

Nice write up Tom. Congrats on the elk.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
335 lbs of elk on the hook in cooler agrees.
Less the two pounds of loins ya ate

Well done!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-29-2023, 07:11 PM

I don't know why I didn't think to check this earlier. But here is expansion measured at widest point.

Old 09-30-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Less the two pounds of loins ya burnt:)

Well done!

Corrected for posterity.