Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2023, 02:43 AM

Default Lost Mule from September 5

Hello everyone! I am going to try my luck here. I shot a mule in southern alberta and unfortunately lost him. Made a great shot, but being new to mule hunting and the terrain, I didn’t chase him as I thought I would’ve bumped him (as I only ever hunted elk with my bow). He crested the ridge, I saw the entry and the exit, but i was shooting a little uphill so the blood didn’t come out yet as it didn’t fill his cavity. Looked and looked but had no luck with blood or finding where he went. If anyone found a dead head mule please please shoot me a message I will have a great cash reward for you. I have photos of the deer when he was bedded in front of me. I know there’s a very slim chance but I tried looking for him and I know he died in some thick buck brush and never got the chance to find him or go back after dark as I had obligations at work the next day. Thanks for your time everyone and best of luck to all for the rest of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2023, 06:57 AM

WIthout wmu its a pretty wide region, also it becomes your obligation to track and find that animal after you injure. Why wait a month before mentioning anything, should be out there looking for it.
Saying you made a good shot but were completely unsuccessful at finding any blood seems a little off.
Not trying to sound like a jerk off, just being honest with you.
Old 10-02-2023, 07:17 AM

For future reference next time you can’t find a deer get some help fast as possible and work a grid search. Even solo a grid search will recover any animal that is hit well

I was not there and don’t know everything that took place so I am not going to lay any judgement

Personally after 3weeks I would not be concerned about finding this deer and focus on what I need to do differently in the future to prevent a repeat of this kind of situation. Any antlers recovered 3 weeks later from a scenario like this I would not be proud of

Seek help sooner is the main thing
Old 10-02-2023, 07:32 AM

How great is the cash reward?

With enough money on the line and another clue or two you could have most of APOS looking for your buck.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-02-2023, 07:36 AM

Really this is one of the reasons I think it’s stupid Alberta doesn’t allow the use of a dog to recover an animal
Old 10-02-2023, 07:37 AM

Totally agreed

Sent from my MP24 using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

With enough money on the line and another clue or two you could have most of APOS looking for your buck.
Or have one of them shoot you a bigger one.

In all seriousness, this advise is spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
For future reference next time you can’t find a deer get some help fast as possible and work a grid search. Even solo a grid search will recover any animal that is hit well

I was not there and don’t know everything that took place so I am not going to lay any judgement

Personally after 3weeks I would not be concerned about finding this deer and focus on what I need to do differently in the future to prevent a repeat of this kind of situation. Any antlers recovered 3 weeks later from a scenario like this I would not be proud of

Seek help sooner is the main thing
Old 10-02-2023, 10:17 AM

Quote:

First post offering a cash reward, smells of a troll.

BW
Old 10-02-2023, 10:24 AM

Didn't go back to look, and now offer a cash reward three weeks after, that sounds a little strange.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:52 AM

For a first post, this does sound a little strange. However if you mention the WMU and the area you were hunting in that would greatly help.
Old 10-02-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
First post offering a cash reward, smells of a troll.

BW
Very much so
Old 10-02-2023, 11:19 AM

Theres one in the ditch on hwy 36
Old 10-02-2023, 11:27 AM

Going back the next day and watching for magpies will find any lost animal.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:03 PM

This isn’t a troll or a scam lol. I was talking to my buddy and he suggested to post on here. I’m just posting this now because I didn’t think about it and so if someone did find a dead head, I can chat and see if it’s the same wmu, and like i said i have a video of me sitting infront of him while he was bedded waiting for him to get up. With his rack showing lol. I don’t want my spot littered with hunters just like how anyone wouldn’t want that. I went back 4 days later and didn’t have anyone to come with me and i searched. Like I said i had obligations at work and couldn’t go back the next day. If anyone hunted down south they know how thick that buck brush is and nearly impossible to track blood. If someone did, they can share that with me and we can compare pictures and so on. I’m doing what I can a cash reward is just for someone’s time and respect for actually giving it back if it was the same deer.

Last edited by mikethehunter; 10-02-2023 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethehunter View Post
This isn’t a troll or a scam lol. I was talking to my buddy and he suggested to post on here. I’m just posting this now because I didn’t think about it and so if someone did find a dead head, I can chat and see if it’s the same wmu, and like i said i have a video of me sitting infront of him while he was bedded waiting for him to get up. With his rack showing lol. I don’t want my spot littered with hunters just like how anyone wouldn’t want that. I went back 4 days later and didn’t have anyone to come with me and i searched. Like I said i had obligations at work and couldn’t go back the next day. If anyone hunted down south they know how thick that buck brush is and nearly impossible to track blood. If someone did, they can share that with me and we can compare pictures and so on. I’m doing what I can a cash reward is just for someone’s time and respect for actually giving it back if it was the same deer.

If I understand this....
You want people to contact you if they find a deadhead anywhere in the southern half of the province, secret spot and all.... then share photos with you, then agree if it is the same deer, and then give the antlers to you.

Then, respectfully, you might give them a great cash reward.

Respectfully.... I'll keep my opinion to myself.

If you somehow get someone to find, compare and pass this particular deadhead to you, understand the laws on trafficking wildlife.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 10-02-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
If I understand this....
You want people to contact you if they find a deadhead anywhere in the southern half of the province, secret spot and all.... then share photos with you, then agree if it is the same deer, and then give the antlers to you.

Then, respectfully, you might give them a great cash reward.

Respectfully.... I'll keep my opinion to myself.

If you somehow get someone to find, compare and pass this particular deadhead to you, understand the laws on trafficking wildlife.

No one’s asking for certain spots, if you find a dead head you should have gone through the wildlife and get a permit. Like i said i have videos of the deer and the shot. So if someone went through the trouble and got the permits and it’s the same deer, it’s a thank you reward if they were willing to give it back. Videos don’t lie. No one is asking for nothing more than a picture if anything then we would go from there. Clearly you have nothing to do with it so keep ur opinion to yourself. I would go through a wildlife officer and get it done legally which ever way that is.

Old 10-02-2023, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Didn't go back to look, and now offer a cash reward three weeks after, that sounds a little strange.

You clearly don’t know how to read. It clearly says I went back when I could. I did everything in my power. You clearly never bow hunted before.

Old 10-02-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
No one’s asking for certain spots, if you find a dead head you should have gone through the wildlife and get a permit. Like i said i have videos of the deer and the shot. So if someone went through the trouble and got the permits and it’s the same deer, it’s a thank you reward if they were willing to give it back. Videos don’t lie. No one is asking for nothing more than a picture if anything then we would go from there. Clearly you have nothing to do with it so keep ur opinion to yourself. I would go through a wildlife officer and get it done legally which ever way that is.

If someone found it and got the permit to possess it.. it is now theirs. For them to sell it to you it’s a couple year process…

LC
Old 10-02-2023, 02:47 PM

Cant say ive ever seen a thread like this before

Good luck on finding the buck...unless he is still alive
Old 10-02-2023, 02:57 PM

If he's not trolling, he's done a great impersonation. This is a doozy.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:57 PM

I guess I'll be the one to ask the question on everyone's mind, since you're already mad at me anyway...

Why do you want a trophy for a failed hunt?
Old 10-02-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I guess I'll be the one to ask the question on everyone's mind, since you're already mad at me anyway...

Why do you want a trophy for a failed hunt?
1. None of your business.
2. You clearly never bow hunted before.
Old 10-02-2023, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If he's not trolling, he's done a great impersonation. This is a doozy.
Has there ever been another thread on AO like this? Bet he drives a black dodge dually while wearing a ball cap on backwards and white framed Oakleys

BW
Old 10-02-2023, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
1. None of your business.
2. You clearly never bow hunted before.
I've bowhunted my whole legal life, which is a lot longer than most people on here.
Not sure what that has to do with it?

I think the OP has never bowhunted before, which has more to do with it than anything.
Old 10-02-2023, 03:36 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

Well hope something comes of this and you find your buck. Many moons ago I arrowed a beauty buck only to watch him hop fences etc. Looked for him many times and buddies helped too who hunted that area but nothing turned up until the spring when I was shed hunting, found my arrow and deep in the brush there he was.

Don’t give up, just go back and poke around you would be surprised just how they can hide in plain sight.

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-02-2023, 03:37 PM

If someone is relying on blood tracking only an animal hit with an arrow is often easier to track because they often bleed more then an animal shot with a rifle

Bow hunting is no excuse for tracking

I can’t even count how many animals I have recovered that myself or someone else has shot that there basically no blood till you reached the animal. Learning to track/recover an animal with a blood trial is something every hunter should learn

This is also why just because you don’t find blood right away doesn’t mean you missed.
Old 10-02-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I've bowhunted my whole legal life, which is a lot longer than most people on here.
Not sure what that has to do with it?
That’s what the op said to a couple of other people, who have many decades of hunting experience between them.
Old 10-02-2023, 04:12 PM

I think I know the deer you are talking about please confirm from picture below. Please send me the reward in bitcoins to PO Box 51, Tillicum Beach, AB T4V 2M9

I will then tell you where the head is via 13 clues in riddle form, each more difficult than the last.

Old 10-02-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
If someone is relying on blood tracking only an animal hit with an arrow is often easier to track because they often bleed more then an animal shot with a rifle

Bow hunting is no excuse for tracking

I can’t even count how many animals I have recovered that myself or someone else has shot that there basically no blood till you reached the animal. Learning to track/recover an animal with a blood trial is something every hunter should learn

This is also why just because you don’t find blood right away doesn’t mean you missed.
Meant to type every hunter should learn to track/recover game without a blood trail
Old 10-02-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
That’s what the op said to a couple of other people, who have many decades of hunting experience between them.
Sorry. Your tongue-in-cheek comment went right over my head.