Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-02-2023, 10:05 AM

Default Tall Tales Hunting or Fishing

I was reminiscing with a friend about some old hunting stories, and perhaps someone else has some to share.
A very close friend and I used to hunt elk on his nephew's farm every year, but I had other commitments the year he killed his biggest bull. He had told the story multiple times about waiting at our usual field, and having the big 6x6 jump the fence by him, leading up to him shooting it, but I wasn't made aware of the whole story, until after my friend passed years later. According to his nephew, the bull did jump the fence, but it got caught in the wire, and was struggling to get free, when my fiend opened fire. And it wasn't the first or second shot that killed it, as my friend let on, apparently my friend emptied the first magazine , and had fired two rounds from the second magazine before he made a killing shot. His nephew told me that they actually had to cut the wire to get the elk free, after it was dead. He said it was quite the scene to watch from his position across the field, as my friend shot, then ran closer, then shot and ran closer again, until the bull finally collapsed . But it did explain the scratches on the antlers and face that I saw, when I helped my friend hang the mount in his home.
Old 10-02-2023, 11:13 AM

Well he got that one, under the wire!