Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-13-2024, 06:36 PM

Default using lights out snaring system

Been a few years since I snared coyotes so I've forgotten how I used to use the lights out system.

Had 3 coyotes in snares last week. 1 dead, 1 alive and one chewed out.. Both the dead one and live one seemed to be caught right behind the ears.

I think the one that was alive was caught right before I got there as there wasn't much of a catch circle.

I anchored the lights out snare on a solid tree about thigh high. My extensions are about 4 feet. My snare is regular coyote length.

I had lots of entanglement around each spot. Wondering is lights out work best without?

Is my anchor point height correct? I recall having a couple issues finding the best anchor height the last year I snared and I can't remember what height worked best.

For the trigger, I'm setting them like they do in this video
https://youtu.be/o8M98Nq4PTI?t=33
Old 01-13-2024, 07:53 PM

I'm probably the least experienced person here, but happy to share my experience. I've also been using the lights out springs.

Last year I had a number of chew out. So I decided this year to make my own snares and hopefully reduce the issue. So far they have worked much better, very litte struggle on caught dogs. I think these 2 main differences helped:

I bought seneker shock locks for the snare lock. Very impressed with them, they hold like crazy. Much better than the cheap cam locks I used before.

I also extended my extension to 6 feet. The longer extension was only due to me being frustrated with big trees and not enough cable to get around them. But I think that length is also giving the coyote a bit of momentum when they hit the end of the cable to lock the lock tight and pop that spring.

From my experience, the LOS spring has worked well and I have not paid special attention to rigging them them. Used both sizes and they both work.

Interested to hear the more experienced guys on this. I've only caught 5 this year so small sample size.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2024, 07:37 AM

Never used the lights out setup, always Marty's stuff ..are your triggers going off or keeping the spring closed ?

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2024, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Never used the lights out setup, always Marty's stuff ..are your triggers going off or keeping the spring closed ?

The spring on the live one was not fired. I obviously don't know the state of the spring on the chew out, but I recall when I used them before the live ones didn't have a fired spring.

I'm sure last time I used the system I figured it out and it was about the height of the extension and something about the entangleent. I can't recall exactly how I got them to work though.

I'm a bit frustrated with the laws about using the power springs.. I never had issues using a plain old snare. Rarely had a chew out and I can't recall finding a live coyote.
Old 01-18-2024, 07:31 AM

I know the few live ones I catch have one of 2 problems ...either the spring didn't go off ,or the catch was made deep down the neck and the heavy fur plugged the locks so they couldn't slide enough to fully close ...this is all on prairie caught dogs where anchoring is all low with stakes or bush tie ups...haven't caught enough tree site dogs to comment on them ...again with Marty set up. I don't see why lights out products woukd be any different as far as problems go .

Old 01-19-2024, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I know the few live ones I catch have one of 2 problems ...either the spring didn't go off ,or the catch was made deep down the neck and the heavy fur plugged the locks so they couldn't slide enough to fully close ...this is all on prairie caught dogs where anchoring is all low with stakes or bush tie ups...haven't caught enough tree site dogs to comment on them ...again with Marty set up. I don't see why lights out products woukd be any different as far as problems go .

It really could be my fault, but I just find my chew outs/live ones with lights out and marty's system.. I was pretty much perfect with regualr old snares..

I understand the spring systems are better for prairies, but in my area the reg snares were perfect.
Old 01-20-2024, 07:18 AM

Regular snares are going to be obsolete after the testing is finished. I snared a bunch before marty came out with his torsion spring an i quit cause of result's a went to just footholds. Someone got me to try a dozen with the springs an I couldent believe the results I could set a new snare on the same piece of 9 wire with it not looking like a grenade went off in the area . I have one bait I think I must have caught twenty coyotes off the same piece of 9 wire. Talk to lights out an or Senneker a get it figured out they both want to improve someone’s results.
Old 02-18-2024, 04:53 AM

Been using the lights out system for wolves this season, have to say the best kill results I have ever had, would have no problem recommend either Marty or Corey systems for snaring wolves.
3/32 BLACK CABLE 1/19.