Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-20-2010, 09:34 PM

Question Crawling Valley Ice Advice Please

Never been, wanna go. I fish for Pike. Obviously there can be some no go zones around the islands for driving. Looking at the chart.

Can I enter at the boat launch, drive straight out and safely drive up (north)the middle of the lake?

And then can I venture toward some of the shoreline or islands on either side if I stay on the outside of them to get into 10' - 15' feet of water? Seems like it 50+ feet deep up the middle on the south end.

Thanks.

TR
Old 02-20-2010, 10:27 PM

Default Follow the tracks

Go straight down the launch and yes down the lake. Veer over to your left and fish around the east islands. There are also some good spots we fish in front of some islands on the west side as well. Rremember if you drive in uncharted waters to drill some holes first to check it out. Don't want to read about you going down in your vehicle. Fish in 10-15 feet deep of water around the islands. stay until after dark and try for some burbs too as there are some big ones in there. Be sure to tie your rod up to something as there are many fish of all 3 of the main kinds 10lbs plus that can drag your gear under in a second. It happened to me once and I always tether my rods at CV when we go there.
Good luck.
This weeks trip Monday probably to Clear.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:41 PM

Many thanks. Always keep my rods secure. If you're not fishing for the one that can take your rod down, your expectations aren't very high are they? You fish for Burbs like Pike; on the bottom but at or after dark? Big bait ok? Like 6 - 8 inch smelt, herring, anchovie?
Old 02-21-2010, 07:53 AM

There are two different rod holders that will prevent you losing your rod down the hole. One is the balance rod holder and the other is the rod locker. May be a little late in the season to purchaser but there's always next season.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Go straight down the launch and yes down the lake. Veer over to your left and fish around the east islands. There are also some good spots we fish in front of some islands on the west side as well. Rremember if you drive in uncharted waters to drill some holes first to check it out. Don't want to read about you going down in your vehicle. Fish in 10-15 feet deep of water around the islands. stay until after dark and try for some burbs too as there are some big ones in there. Be sure to tie your rod up to something as there are many fish of all 3 of the main kinds 10lbs plus that can drag your gear under in a second. It happened to me once and I always tether my rods at CV when we go there.
Good luck.
This weeks trip Monday probably to Clear.
or just set the drag on your reel to the max....for pike anyway... they like to hold it in their mouth for a bit b4 they swallow it... let the fish take it for 20 yards... its funner that way anyway burbs just suck whatever theyre eating right up so u dont want to give them to much time or ull be loosing a hook due to cutting ur line cuz its to deep to pull out

Last edited by jacob1202; 02-21-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
Many thanks. Always keep my rods secure. If you're not fishing for the one that can take your rod down, your expectations aren't very high are they? You fish for Burbs like Pike; on the bottom but at or after dark? Big bait ok? Like 6 - 8 inch smelt, herring, anchovie?
for burbs just use a small minnow.... damn things will even suck up a plain old treble hook with nthn on it...learned that this weekend... they are bottom feeders and come clean up the other fishes leftovers they leave behind... if all u have is big bait cut it in half so they can swallow it easier... remember they swim around and eat poo off the bottom too so most anything will work