Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 AM

Default Tired of talking about fisheries.

Ok, so I'm tired of talking about how poorly our fisheries are run as well as tired of sitting on my duff and not doing anything about them. However, my problem is, I just don't know where to start.

I've written some emails to a regional biologist, and although informative, it was somewhat a waste of time IMO. I've had several different people say several different things about how to make a difference but I'm still not entirely sure what to do or how to go about doing it. Some say join your local fish and game, some say letters to your MP, some say letters to your regional biologist, some say send a letter to Mel Knight. Maybe all of the above? The problem is, I don't think I have a good understanding of how the Fisheries are set up in Alberta and do not know how the hierarchy is set up.

What I'm looking for is NOT a debate but merely information on these questions:
1. How are Alberta fisheries set up? How does SRD, AFGA, and the round-table discussions I keep hearing about tie into one another (and any other abbreviation that I haven't listed)? Who has the final say in regs and future development of lakes and/or streams?

2. I would love to hear from individuals that have actually made a difference and were a part of creating Muir, Beaver, Fiesta, Bullshead, or the handful of other lakes in the province that are not the norm. How were you able to successfully create these?

3. I would also like to hear from individuals that have been apart of any stream/lake improvement projects such as Stauffer and find out how I could also be involved with these in the future.

Cheers.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:49 AM

Move to Saskatchewan.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 AM

question

1.. we(Albertans) do in conjunction with our bio/other gov agents and groups.. we have had some ponds and lake's stocked and have help in getting aerator on lake.. and have worked with studies on creeks with C/R fishing and Electro fishing.. worked with SRD in the Walleye recovery program focus group.. as people/Fish and Game club.. members .. and Anglers
Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM

Question 2 same as one

3.. check out My clubs home page at www.Hintonfishandgame.ca and read History and Club Projects ..Trout pond.. most Fishandgame clubs have some projects going on.. check out Lloydminster fish and game they have a nice dock for seniors etc another is AFGA or TU.. remember this is done with SRD approval.. and working with your bio in area .. we have had lots of instances were they SRD didn't like propsal for instance want to stock lake .. but no can't has a group of long toe salamanders in area .. they are vulnerable population..

hope this helps .. never give up.. the fishery .. needs new thought's to improve