Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-06-2011, 10:13 AM

Default Gas Powered Ice Augers in Provincial Parks

Does anyone know with certainty if gas powered ice augers are allowed in provincial parks. I couldn't find anything in the provincial regulation about the subject. Has anyone been told by a park official or a fish and wildlife official that gas powered augers are illegal in provincial parks. Has anyone ever been given a fine for using such? I'll try to get an official answer from parks and from fish and wildlife departments this coming week and will post their replies.

Last edited by LSLAKER; 03-06-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:43 AM

Yes of course they are legal. 1000's of people fish per day in pp around AB and likely only 5% have a hand auger.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Yes of course they are legal. 1000's of people fish per day in pp around AB and likely only 5% have a hand auger.

there are no bodys of water with power auger restrictions in pp??
Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 PM

Not that i know of, doesn't mean there isnt. First i heard of any restrictions.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:53 PM

I thought the only restiction is on private municipal lakes like sundance and summerside
Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 PM

I never knew of a restriction on the use of gas powered ice augers on lakes in a PP. An argument on the subject this morning was that if motorized boats are not allowed on PP lakes or certain lakes in a PP then the use of gas powered ice augers must also apply on these lakes. I was referring to a particular lake that is entirely within a PP boundry. I'll post what the parks and fish and wildlife have to say.

Last edited by LSLAKER; 03-06-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:01 PM

I spoke with the local Provincial Parks Officer and he stated that technically they can control the use of gas powered ice augers if there are sufficient complaints that the noise and pollution from the gas powered ice augers are interferring with the rights of people to enjoy the park. Keep in mind that the PP Officer was referring to a small lake that is entirely within the boundary of the park. He stated that since only a few fishermen visit the lake in winter, the PP has no objection to the use of gas powered ice augers. Fishermen can get within a short distance to this lake by quad or snowmobile through a lengthy backway and without trespassing onto the PP.