Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2013, 01:56 PM

Default Barry Mitchells trout highway book

Does anybody know where I can buy this book? I am having a terrible time trying to find it. I have google searched it, kijiji, ebay etc and have only found it on amazon for 190 dollars. I have even went to the library in town and used their search for almost every library in the province without any luck. Any direction where I could pick it up would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:15 PM

Default Fishin' Hole

I believe I saw copies at the Fishin Hole.

Come to think of it, I was at Cabela's yesterday, and I'm almost certain I saw copies there too.

Seen it - occasionally - at Chapters/Indigo.

Hope that helps.

Smitty
Old 07-12-2013, 03:36 PM

Although I have no idea if they'll ship it up to that area, I do know that the Calgary Public Library has a copy of it.

link HERE
Old 07-12-2013, 04:26 PM

Thanks that does help! When I google searched it both cabelas and the fishing hole had it come up but when I clicked on the link the product didn't come up haha ill have to head there this weekend sometime!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:55 PM

Any idea on how much I should suspect to pay?
Old 07-12-2013, 04:56 PM

they also have it at bow river troutfitters. I saw it and almost bought a copy...
Old 07-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Banned

Arrow

I paid like $22 or something for mine...it was even signed!

I'm sure I found mine either a Wholesale sports or Basspro. I have seen it around and it shouldn't be too hard to find.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
I paid like $22 or something for mine...it was even signed!

I'm sure I found mine either a Wholesale sports or Basspro. I have seen it around and it shouldn't be too hard to find.
Oh perfect! A lot less than 190 on amazon
Old 07-12-2013, 06:14 PM

Get it. you won't be disappointed. It is my bible. I have read it like 30 times over.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief16 View Post
Does anybody know where I can buy this book? I am having a terrible time trying to find it. I have google searched it, kijiji, ebay etc and have only found it on amazon for 190 dollars. I have even went to the library in town and used their search for almost every library in the province without any luck. Any direction where I could pick it up would be greatly appreciated!
It is in the Edmonton Public Library system. Maybe it has been destroyed by massive photocopying.

It really is not worth the money you pay for it.

Rest in peace Barry.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:26 PM

Like all fishing books, it gives a general run down on info. I would not treat it as a bible because things simply dont stay the same, and most of the places he states he's only fished once or a couple of times.

If you can pick it up for less then 40 bucks i would. Its good reading, just dont expect everything to live up to what old barry makes it out to be.

Also justin, shoot me a pm. I will take you out on the north sask and we can hit some fish. I also have the book, and if you cant find it anywhere, you can borrow mine.

j
Old 07-12-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
It is in the Edmonton Public Library system. Maybe it has been destroyed by massive photocopying.

Rest in peace Barry.
You bastard greylynx, scared the shart outta me. I had to phone Barry asap when I read your comment. Don't do that to me!!
Old 07-12-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post

Rest in peace Barry.
Barry would love to know he finally passed. Great excuse for a wake, and a dram with him.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 07-12-2013, 08:20 PM

Wtf? Ha

I have a copy from edm pub library.
Still haven't returned after 3 years.
Someone else highlighted all the important stuff in the NSR drainage which is what I like to fish!

Maybe I should return it and buy one.

I just love the history of this book.
It was obviously owned prior to being in the library.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:35 PM

Guys,

I was talking to Barry a few minutes ago about some other issues and I asked him if the book was available and who had it.
He told me that with the exception of Wholesale Sports, most fly shops and the Fishin' Hole stock the book.

While many of us see the book as a "where to go" type of thing, there is a whack of info on the biology of trout that will help you become a better angler.

And Grey Lynx - please stop your attempts @ being "cute". Frankly they are not a bit funny. Suggesting someone died is more than a little over the top.

regards,

Don
Old 07-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Guys,

I was talking to Barry a few minutes ago about some other issues and I asked him if the book was available and who had it.
He told me that with the exception of Wholesale Sports, most fly shops and the Fishin' Hole stock the book.

While many of us see the book as a "where to go" type of thing, there is a whack of info on the biology of trout that will help you become a better angler.

And Grey Lynx - please stop your attempts @ being "cute". Frankly they are not a bit funny. Suggesting someone died is more than a little over the top.

regards,

Don
So he's anchored beside you on beaver is what your trying to say . Bad kitty no scotch for you .. any more of that and its of to big k7vte's
Old 07-13-2013, 02:58 AM

Fantastic book....I got mine at the fishing hole. They seem to be the one place that knows what the h3ll you're talking about when you ask about it too.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Banned

I've seen the book in pretty much every flyshop in CGY,and BassPro to iirc?Got mine at FishTales cpl years ago,30sum bucks if I'm not mistaken?
Old 07-13-2013, 12:16 PM

I figured lots of places did have it, only problem is that fly fishing seems to be a foreign concept where I live and did not want to waste my time driving to the city and not finding it
Old 07-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Like all fishing books, it gives a general run down on info. I would not treat it as a bible because things simply dont stay the same, and most of the places he states he's only fished once or a couple of times.

If you can pick it up for less then 40 bucks i would. Its good reading, just dont expect everything to live up to what old barry makes it out to be.

Also justin, shoot me a pm. I will take you out on the north sask and we can hit some fish. I also have the book, and if you cant find it anywhere, you can borrow mine.

j
True. It would be nice if someone came out with a updated version of it.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:21 PM

Picked up a copy today thanks for the direction!

Tags
barry mitchell, foresty trunk road, trout highway