Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 AM

Default Halibut Heads up!

For those of you that enjoy fishing on the coast for Halibut, I just wanted to give you a heads up that we are having an ongoing battle with DFO regarding Halibut allocation, and potential changes to all of our fishing opportunities for later in 2011.
Below is a little more of a backgrounder on the Halibut challenge that is purely a government allocation problem and not a conservation issue. If you are planning your trips for 2011, and these amazing white-meat flatfish are one of your main species to fish for, you might consider focusing on dates prior to the end of July just to be safe. This is purely based on a precautionary heads - up and not based on personal skepticism. I know for our area on the West coast of Vancouver Island, the earlier season is better for Halibut, such as - May June & July with the average size is on the increase, substantially...
This is the case for the whole BC coast, so if you might be effected by these ludicrous DFO measures, please take a minute to understand the background info below, and feel free to let your local MLA know how it effects your ability to access this common property resource as a Canadian citizen.

Halibut Allocation 2011– Update and Forecast

How did we get here?

• 1991 – DFO gifts shares of the common property Canadian Halibut resource to 435 commercial fishermen based on their previous catch history. This was done to remove safety concerns for fishermen and crews that arose from competitive “derby style” fisheries, and to stabilize the supply of halibut to the market.
• 2000 – These same commercial fishermen grow concerned over the “uncompensated reallocation of halibut from the commercial sector to the recreational sector”. It is worth noting that these quota holders never paid a penny for their quota when it was first gifted to them by DFO, and then they wanted to be compensated for providing this same halibut back to its rightful owners – the people of Canada. These cries for compensation for their gifted quota by the quota holders resulted in a series of allocation framework meetings which resulted in the current 2003 Halibut Allocation Policy.
• 2003 – The Thibault Allocation Policy has 3 main components:

- The Canadian TAC available to the commercial and recreational fisheries are split to provide 88% to the 435 original quota holders, and 12% to the 100,000 participants in the public fishery.
- “a 12 per cent recreational catch ‘ceiling’ will be allocated to the recreational sector until both parties can develop an acceptable mechanism that will allow for adjustment of the recreational share through acquisition of additional quota from the commercial sector”.
- “I have also made a commitment that there will be no closure of the sport fishery in-season”.
• It is generally agreed based on significant improvements in recreational fishery catch accounting methods over recent years that the recreational catch was underestimated at this time, and that the 12% allocation allowed for little to no growth.
• 2008 – A series of meetings between the commercial sector, recreational sector, BC Ministry of Environment, First Nations representatives, and DFO produced a consensus agreement between the commercial and recreational sectors on a mechanism to transfer quota. This agreement was then rejected by DFO as not meeting the requirements of the “User Fee Act”, and “ministerial authority” requirements under the “Fisheries Act”. It is the assertion of the BCSFC that the real reason for its rejection is simply lack of political will to find a solution.
• Nov 2008. The recreational sector is closed in season for the first time in clear contravention of the 2003 allocation policy.
• 2010 – The Halibut Allocation Transfer Mechanism committee is struck and tasked with finding a solution to what DFO clearly acknowledges is a serious problem with the 88\12 allocation formulae. It produces a series of options. (See page 2)
• Oct 2010 – the recreational fishery is again closed in-season causing serious economic damage to tackle manufacturers, lodges, charters, tackle stores, marinas campgrounds and other service providers to the recreational fishery again, in clear violation of the 2003 allocation policy.
• Nov – Dec 2010 Uncertainty and instability cause further damage to the recreational fishery as the message that “the recreational halibut fishery in BC is closed.”

The Problem:

• For 2011 season, if the recreational fishery was restricted to its current 12% allocation and based on similar catch rates to 2010, if the season was to start on Feb 1st, it would end:

- July 15th with bag limits of 2 per day, 3 possession
- Aug 1st with bag limits of 2 per day, 2 in possession
- August 20th with bag limits of 1 per day, 2 in possession

All of these dates represent the “peak season” for fishing in BC. This would potentially cause economic disaster to many small coastal communities as businesses fail, tourist dollars dry up, and lodges and charters close their doors early.

There is much more information available at the Sportfishing Institute Website as well as directly by e-mail if any of you would like me to send you further information.

(Mods please move this if you feel it would be better placed in another area of the forum)

Best Regards for a great fishing season in 2011 regardless of where you fish and what species you fish for.

J.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Thank you for the information, I am an albertan that recently bought a fishing charter business from Prince rupert. My first full season was last year and it was awsome, i heard rumors of a rec closure last month and was dissapointed in what i heard. Do you get your info off of dfo site? Last year our daily possesion was 1 per day and 2 in your possession, does this differ from your area, we fish in area 3 and 4 up there. any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Doug smith
coast charters.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:08 PM

Same chit, different species.

Sockeye, commercial gets priority.
Coho, commercial gets priority.
Chinook, commercial gets priority.
Herring, commercial gets priority.
Crab, commercial gets priority.
Cod, commercial gets priority.
Shellfish, commercial gets priority.
Krill - KRILL for crying out loud!
Old 01-05-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Same chit, different species.

Sockeye, commercial gets priority.
Coho, commercial gets priority.
Chinook, commercial gets priority.
Herring, commercial gets priority.
Crab, commercial gets priority.
Cod, commercial gets priority.
Shellfish, commercial gets priority.
Krill - KRILL for crying out loud!
Hey Pudel,

Fortunately, Recreational Anglers still get priority access to Chinook and Coho. This will be huge for this season as it will be a Salmon "focus" for many.
The Krill scenario is nasty....stripping the ocean of a base food source to feed mutant Farm Salmon....
Old 01-06-2011, 03:24 PM

Is there a website that lists the MP associated with DFO that we can email them and let them know what we think if this move?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:44 PM

I'm glad you asked Mark, I was hoping that all anglers effected regardless of where you live, would consider a letter to your local MP and include the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Canada - Gail Shea.

I know many ridings in Alberta are conservative, including Stephen Harper's homebase, so these MP's should become aware of your concerns regarding this common property resource.

I have letter templates if there are any that might need this type of format, and will glady send by e-mail. Just ask.

J.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:13 PM

Template letter would be great PM with my email addy
Old 01-07-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofinofish View Post
Hey Pudel,

Fortunately, Recreational Anglers still get priority access to Chinook and Coho. This will be huge for this season as it will be a Salmon "focus" for many.
The Krill scenario is nasty....stripping the ocean of a base food source to feed mutant Farm Salmon....
On paper, yes Anglers do have priority, but in reality they do not. You can not purse seine and be selective about your catch. I have had numerous friend over the years who worked on commercial boats, and know what constitutes "bycatch". Steelhead numbers are kept dangerously low throughout the province because of 2 things: habitat degradation/destruction and the commercial salmon fishery. Same for many runs of Coho and Chinook (yes, some are in good shape, especially the early runs, but many others are not, for example Thompson coho and all small stream populations in the Strait of Georgia).

I worked in the Krill fishery for years and it is beyond irresponsible to allow it to continue to run the way it has in the past. I have been out of the Pacific Fisheries envelope for a fair number of years now, but I would be surprized if anything has changes at all.
Old 01-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Banned

Thx for bringing this over tofinofish.. I have been keeping up with it on the sportfishing site and the work you guys are doing on this is great. The amount of time and money a few of you apply to this is just awesome,, an obvious real passion for you guys.

I have been putting my name on a few of the petitions and papers flying around now for a while,, this is a fight that must be kept up.. If we don't we will loose it and never get it back.. There are many guys on here that love heading out west for the fishery,, those of you that do get behind this,, the more the marryer.. Just because we are not from B.C. doesn't mean these boys can't use our help..
Old 01-07-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Template letter would be great PM with my email addy
Sent Mark...Thanks for taking the time to help protect the right for Canadian Recreational Anglers to access these fish.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Thx for bringing this over tofinofish.. I have been keeping up with it on the sportfishing site and the work you guys are doing on this is great. The amount of time and money a few of you apply to this is just awesome,, an obvious real passion for you guys.

I have been putting my name on a few of the petitions and papers flying around now for a while,, this is a fight that must be kept up.. If we don't we will loose it and never get it back.. There are many guys on here that love heading out west for the fishery,, those of you that do get behind this,, the more the marryer.. Just because we are not from B.C. doesn't mean these boys can't use our help..
You're right Walleyes,
This is a Canadian issue, not a provincial issue, or a lodge or tin boat angler issue....
I have a 12 year old son who is a hardcore Angler and Hunter, and if I don't do what I can to help him and others have access to this Common property resource, it would be pretty sad to sit there in the future and look at fishing pictures and all we can do is say "remember when...."
Canadians who are proud to have the right to harvest their own meat and fish to feed themselves and families are now facing the possibility that they will have to pay one of 400+ Halibut quota owners to buy the chance to harvest a Halibut. This Halibut was gifted to them by the federal Gov't making them immediately wealthy.
There are still very hard working and credible commercial Halibut fishermen that still actually fish thier own quotas, get wet and cold on deck making a living. Many of these guys are being screwed by the same system, as the non-fishing quota holders/processors are playing the commodity game with an uncaught Canadian fish. I commercial fished Halibut for years, and lost my livelihood as a deckhand (as did hundreds of others) immediately when the quota system was enacted. Part of the DFO decision making was based on safety and best economics for the resource. If this was their thinking then for a 1000 people, why now are we facing a scenario for over 100,000 people to fish only until the weather gets the safest in the summer, and the sportfishing related tourism industry in BC gets the snub because we only generate 1 Billion plus in revenues for the province, with 650 million related to Sal****er fisheries...????????

I hunt and Fish Alberta every year, and if I was facing an option to fight for the right to hunt Whitetails on Crown Land when there was no concerns for conservation etc. I would do it.

Carrying on a bit much......Still a bit wound up from last nights meeting in Ucluelet. Again, any efforts from any of you to help is huge, for now and for that time in the future that you might want to enjoy access to a public fishery like Halibut.

Jay
Old 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM

Hey Guys, The BC Sportsfishing Coalition has a great website with all the details. Check it out www.sfibc.com
Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Banned

May I ask in a most basic politically correct manner how our native brethren are affected by these changes, if at all.?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
May I ask in a most basic politically correct manner how our native brethren are affected by these changes, if at all.?
Post a form email and email address we can use to ask for better regulations and quotas to protect the huge recreational sport fishing industry!

This is nuts!
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 PM

Sent one in to my MP and Gail Shea already...need to open their eyes up...am in Ottawa and if I have time one of these days I'm going to go into Parliament to their offices (known location of both as I used to work on Parliament) and get a straight answer from them face to face.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:29 AM

Wow! Thanks for bringing this to light. My Father-in-law has booked us for a trip at the end of June. His thought process for the timing was to avoid any possible closures for halibut....It looks like he was bang on in his assesment of what may happen in the way of in season closures.

As far as emailing your MLA / MP we all should regardless of where we reside.

The commercial fishery vs recreational fishery is a battle that rages on all across this country whether it be ocean or local walleye / pike lakes. It seems crazy to me when comercial fisheries continue when recreational anglers are hard pressed to be allowed to keep a fish.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Al View Post
Wow! Thanks for bringing this to light.

As far as emailing your MLA / MP we all should regardless of where we reside.

The commercial fishery vs recreational fishery is a battle that rages on all across this country whether it be ocean or local walleye / pike lakes. It seems crazy to me when comercial fisheries continue when recreational anglers are hard pressed to be allowed to keep a fish.
Thank for taking a stand on this by e-mailing or contacting your local MLA. The attention, interest and action on this huge issue is escalating rapidly here on the Island.
Remember, The ACTIVE Commercial Fishermen who fish their own quota are not the problem, so painting all Comm fishermen with a broad brush is not right. The Government has gifted 88% of the quota to 400 plus Fishermen in the province. Many of these ex-fishermen became wealthy from this gift by selling or leasing the gifted quota for as much money as the market would provide. As the commodity price of Quota goes up in any given season, active commercial fishermen who try and lease said quota to "Top Up" their own to make the trip worthwhile, find that there is now little to no profit after expenses...

The SFI Website has much info as posted by GD3474. I will try and post a form e-mail as requested by Sundancefisher, that should go to Fisheries Minister Shea, but should also be cc'd to the SFI of BC so they have record of all in oppositon of this crazy situation, and equally important is cc your local MLA.

Thanks for your efforts.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Post a form email and email address we can use to ask for better regulations and quotas to protect the huge recreational sport fishing industry!

This is nuts!
Sundancefisher,

Please forward to your Langara Fishing group so they have a heads up as well and hopefully help with letters and e-mails of their own. They will all need to search out contact info for their respective MLA's to include.

The Sport Fishing Institute of BC website
is a great resource, with a link for "Act now Toolkit" letter examples etc.
Please include the SFI e-mail info@sportfishing.bc.ca when sending the letters out so they have record as well.
If you choose to send a hard copy in the mail, you will not need a stamp to send to the Parliament Building in Ottawa.
E-mail for Fisheries Minister Shea is Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca
A link to the Fisheries website for other contact info is here
Below is a sample form letter that may work for you to cut and paste into your own e-mail program. If you would like this sent directly to you in a word document, please send an e-mail directly to me jay@tofinofishing.com with subject Halibut letter request.

Honourable Gail Shea
Minister of Fisheries & Oceans
Parliament Buildings
Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON
K1A – 0A6

DATE

Dear Minister Shea,

I am writing to you because I am worried about the future of the recreational halibut fishery in BC. I believe that you have the power to solve this problem, and I task you to resolve it!

Your decisions on halibut affect me directly as I regularly enjoy and exercise the right to fish for Halibut as a Canadian citizen.

If harsh decreases in bag limits and season length continue, my rights and access to this common property resource will be directly affected. The Lodges, Outfitters, Airlines, Marinas, Tackle Stores, and many other service related businesses that cater to the many visiting anglers like me will be directly affected as well. This uncertainty does not allow these businesses to assist anglers like myself to secure fishing plans to the B.C. coast, regardless of me being guided or fishing on my own.

I find it insulting to think that the Canadian Government would believe that it is ok to give a common property resource, like halibut, to a small, special interest group of commercial fisherman. I don’t believe that is proper use of a resource owned by all Canadians!

I understand that this is about allocation, not conservation. Our halibut stocks are healthy!

Minister Shea, you have the power to fix this problem! We need you to grant us a minimum of 2 halibut per day and 2 in possession. This will provide the confidence we need so that we can continue to plan on fishing in British Columbia, providing strong economic and social benefits to British Columbians, while exercising my personal right to access this common property resource as a Canadian.

Minister Shea, I urge you to implement this allocation; it is well within your power.

Sincerely,
-Your Name-

CC

-End-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this helps make it easier for many of you to write a letter of your own. Thanks for doing your part in fighting for our rights as Canadian outdoorsmen.
Also, thanks to the Mods for letting me expand on this political, and very serious situation.

Jay Mohl
Tofino B.C.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:57 PM

Exclamation Halibut update from the island

With a few meetings over the past couple weeks, the momentum and awareness is growing about the Halibut Allocation process, and the threats of in-season closures if something is not changed by Canada's Fisheries Minister who has sole discretion....
Victoria meeting has over 400 attending and last night in Nanaimo was nearly 400 as well. There is no doubt that these meetings and the media, along with the letters being sent to MP's, The Minister of Fisheries, AND The Prime Minister are not being taken lightly.
A huge move forward in the political process is our local Nanaimo/Alberni MP Dr. James Lunney had the stones large enough to stand up at the end of the meeting and announce his action plan and recently submitted letter to Fisheries Minister Gail Shea, strongly urging the Allocation process be fixed for the long term, and to provide recreationa anglers and Canadians alike to have access to at least 20% of the allowable catch. This would allow us to have a full season at 2 Halibut per day with 2 in possesion.

There is another meeting tonight in Campbell River, which happens to be the heart of the North Vancouver Island riding for MP John Duncan, who has not been at all favourable of recreational fishing policies or public access to this resource. He will likely not be present, but I'm sure he will feel the heat from this big meeting, and will ideally be forced to join James Lunney or go the way of the Dodo next Election.....

We are working hard to ensure you all get to retain your rights as Canadians to harvest a Halibut or two, regarless of being guided or unguided, young or old. It will also let your kids and grandkids have this right as well.

If you have been thinking of writing a letter or making a call to your MP, please don't hesitate.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:58 PM

Really appreciate all the hard work you do for this cause Jay. I know once I am back in BC full time (university in Ottawa at the moment) I will look to get heavily involved in the process as well, even though I am a younger generation I think that could be a good thing.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:47 AM

Default Ttt

Bringing this back up to the top for those that may have missed this.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Banned

Just thought I would bring it to the top again..

Come on guys lets get a few more from here helping out.. Again this is our resource the oceans are a Canadian thing not a provincial thing,, they belong to all of us and these changes coming down the pike affect us all..

How would we feel if the government wanted to shut down the sport fishing in this province and only allow the commercials to fish.. I think we would be screaming bloody murder.. Please write a letter doesn't have to be much just something letting the powers in control know that we are watching them and that we still run this country.. There are many many families out there that depend on this fishery to feed there families,, hundreds of them..

Go to the sportfishing B.C. forum and get info on where to send the letters..

Now,, LETS GO
Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 PM

Jay - I prefer to hand-write letters to politicians, as I believe they are given more consideration than many e-mail campaigns that are launched by various groups. I'm drafting a letter to my Alberta M.P. (conservative) and to Gail Shea. In my letter to my local M.P., I was considering asking him to seek out Dr. Lunney for his perspective, and support Lunney's proposal to adjust the allocation to 'at least 20% to the recreational fishery' - which would provide a 2 fish recreational limit, all season long. This would give Dr. Lunney some support from his peers, and may encourage him to press the issue with the DFO.
In your opinion, would his proposed 80/20 split be acceptable, or do you wish to see the entire allocation system re-worked? I don't want to press for an option that's not appropriate...

Also, I don't see any mention of this issue on Dr. Lunney's website - if he got more positive feedback, it may become front-of mind, and hot-potato item that the DFO would have to address.
I also don't see anything on Nathan Cullen - the Rupert/Haida Gwaii NDP MP's site either, I hope those northern lodges are applying pressure.
John Duncan also seems silent on the issue. Northern island chamber of commerces should be on him like a halibut on a salmon-belly!
I'll be at Langara twice this season, and have fished different lodges around the north island for a number of years. I'd hate to add up how much we've spent on our trips! My partner and I have been talking about trying our luck in Alaska - and this may just turn out to be the proverbial straw!
Old 01-28-2011, 12:11 AM

Hi I and my old man are planning on buying a boat to Halibut fish the BC west coast soon. I have been outraged like many other sport anglers about the allocation issue. I have sent three letters to the fishereies minister and two to my Local Mp. I have asked my old man to spread to word to the guys he knew at his work that like to halibut fish as well.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Jay - I prefer to hand-write letters to politicians, as I believe they are given more consideration than many e-mail campaigns that are launched by various groups. I'm drafting a letter to my Alberta M.P. (conservative) and to Gail Shea. In my letter to my local M.P., I was considering asking him to seek out Dr. Lunney for his perspective, and support Lunney's proposal to adjust the allocation to 'at least 20% to the recreational fishery' - which would provide a 2 fish recreational limit, all season long. This would give Dr. Lunney some support from his peers, and may encourage him to press the issue with the DFO.
In your opinion, would his proposed 80/20 split be acceptable, or do you wish to see the entire allocation system re-worked? I don't want to press for an option that's not appropriate...

Also, I don't see any mention of this issue on Dr. Lunney's website - if he got more positive feedback, it may become front-of mind, and hot-potato item that the DFO would have to address.
I also don't see anything on Nathan Cullen - the Rupert/Haida Gwaii NDP MP's site either, I hope those northern lodges are applying pressure.
John Duncan also seems silent on the issue. Northern island chamber of commerces should be on him like a halibut on a salmon-belly!
I'll be at Langara twice this season, and have fished different lodges around the north island for a number of years. I'd hate to add up how much we've spent on our trips! My partner and I have been talking about trying our luck in Alaska - and this may just turn out to be the proverbial straw!
Thanks for the helpful momentum here guys....any and all you can do in writing letters and raising the issue with your local MP helps.

Thumper, Good questions....James Lunney needs more positive feedback and support from MP's of any color, but especially the Conservatives.
If you can get your MP to connect with James Lunney to advise of his support on this issue, that is exactly what James needs to keep moving this higher up on the radar of the Fisheries Minister and Gov't in general.
As for Cullen, I have no knowledge of his stance. John Duncan is another story. Last week he issued a press statement in support of the current allocation being best and political pressure is no way to manage fisheries.
If he thinks we are so stupid not to see that the pathetic decisions made by DFO for years and years (and getting worse) have not been political, then he is actually the stupid one....Duncan is not supporting yours and my rights to access what the Gov't handed over to a very small number of Fishermen.

Lunney has requested an interm 20/80 split for an immediate fix for the season, while calling for a long term solution.

Thanks again for standing up....
Old 02-01-2011, 05:05 PM

Default Halibut letter to PM Stephen Harper

FYI Regarding the Halibut issues that are ongoing;

January 31, 2011
Honorable Stephen Harper,
We write you as a coalition representing all aspects of the recreational fishing community interests of over 300,000 anglers, approximately one third of which fish for Pacific Halibut.
We have joined together as a coalition to ensure that a small group of influential businessmen with full time lobbyists in Ottawa will not overshadow the growing public concern and protest of Pacific Halibut allocation. In only five town hall meetings to date, over 1600 people have attended . More are being planned at the request of communities. We have only just begun. We are fighting back.
We are actively opposed to current allocation policy. This policy appears to be controlled by the provision of quota for free to 435 private businessmen. The application of this quota for commercial fishermen, to own, buy, sell or lease to each other has created quasi private property rights of our Canadian common property resource. They now think they own it, and DFO protects them as if they do.
The majority of Individual Transferable Quotas of halibut have been bought up by “Fish Lords” who no longer fish, but instead lease them out to the less than 200 hard working commercial fishermen who do. Now DFO wants the angler and the angling service providers to “purchase”our fish back (quota) from these “Fish Lords” in order for us to access our halibut .Quota holders are laughing, their stock value just went up!
After conservation and First Nations needs are met,DFO has allocated 88% of the total available Halibut Catch to less than 400 commercial fishermen, and left a measly 12% for the rest of us 300,000 anglers, 100,000 of which who fish halibut. As we cycle through this period of less abundance, we want Canada to stay within the Total Allowable Catch, so that means a small shift in allocation to the recreational community, which still leaves the large majority of the fish for the commercial fleet We don’t want it all, we only want a reasonable share
For over seven years we have tried discussion, letters, briefs, and two lengthy facilitated multi sectoral“round table” processes set up by Minister Shea and her predecessor only find our efforts end run by the commercial halibut lobby in Ottawa. We have found DFO refuses to even discuss moving from the current allocation policy The commercial sector see the direct purchase of ”their” quota as the only solution.
DFO through their continued actions have demonstrated no interest in the social & economic consequence to Canadians.
In recent reviews of DFO summaries of this issue, we were sad to see that DFO has put a spin on this issue to cover the interest of the 400 private commercial businessmen.
We are fundamentally opposed to the privatization of our fish resources and are actively letting our concerns be known through out BC. Many MPs from all parties are coming to the meetings and sharing our concerns. We note that John Duncan was the only MP not to show up and has since made statements supporting the 400 private businessmen who own halibut quota.
We hereby formally request a meeting with you to brief you on the issue directly. We trust you will want to hear the facts from those who truly care about the public interest.
And in closing, Honorable Prime Minister, is having a small group of private business men owning 88% of Canada’s fishery resources the vision you have for Canada?
We need to know.
Yours in Common,
BC Sport Fishing Coalition
Old 02-10-2011, 01:23 PM

Any updates? Halibut season was scheduled to open February 01. Did this happen? Any news on the allocations?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:40 AM

Default Today is the Day - Remind your MP Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Any updates? Halibut season was scheduled to open February 01. Did this happen? Any news on the allocations?
It did not open as "scheduled" and there was a lot of controversy about how they (DFO) didn't provide very clear details about IF - When - What - Anything..to do with a variation order that is common to regulation changes.

Call Your MP's Office Today!
Dear Friends,

It is crunch time folks! We understand that the federal government is getting close to making a decision regarding halibut allocation and that our Conservative MP's may not fully appreciate the degree to which anglers care about this issue.

Today is the Day that we are told is the ultimatum in the H.O.C.

Its time to remind them!

We are urging you to take 5 minutes today to call your local MP and tell him or his assistant how you feel about the halibut allocation model. If your MP is a Conservative, please call him or her. If your MP is a Liberal or a New democrat, then call your closest Conservative MP.

Your voice matters, please take the time to make a call today.

Tight lines
Old 02-11-2011, 03:59 PM

If you are thinking of going to Alaska for Halibut, their regulations have changed also effective Feb. 1/11. Maximum 1 fish with a limit of 37" only.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 AM

Default Halibut Announcement from the Minister

-Just to let you know what the "Minister" of Fisheries announce today.
Makes me want to puke!!!! She feels that the only way to move forward is to pay the quota holders for access to this common property public resource.
Sickening..........

Ministerial Statement on Pacific Halibut Feb 15, 2011

Our Government understands the value and significance of the Pacific halibut fishery to British Columbians. The current sharing formula, which allocates 88% of the harvest to commercial fishermen and 12% to recreational harvesters, has been in place since 2003. Since then there have been a number of attempts by representatives of each sector to develop an acceptable way to transfer allocation between them.

The most recent round of discussions took place throughout 2010. I’m disappointed to report that those discussions have reached an impasse and stakeholders have been unable to reach a consensus. Because of this, a ministerial decision is required to move forward for the 2011 season.

As Canada’s Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, I have been entrusted with managing our precious marine resources responsibly and sustainably. This responsibility includes ensuring that we meet our various international obligations with regards to conservation. All fish management decisions are made to meet the following three priorities: conservation, sustainability of the fishery and economic viability. It is with these in mind that I announce the following:

The 2011 Pacific halibut recreational fishing season will open March 1st. Recreational anglers with a tidal license will be able to catch one halibut per day with two in possession.

Our Government recognizes the value of the recreational fishery to British Columbians and the economic opportunities it provides. Therefore, for the 2011 season only, we will undertake a trial to make available to interested recreational stakeholders experimental licenses that will allow them to lease quota from commercial harvesters. This will provide access to halibut beyond the limits of the standard recreational license, giving those who choose to participate greater stability for business planning purposes.

As for the future, clearly it is in the best interests of all sectors to come to a long-term solution that recognizes the important contribution each makes to British Columbia. To achieve this, I have asked my Parliamentary Secretary, Randy Kamp, Member of Parliament from Pitt Meadows-Maple Ridge-Mission, to work with my officials to develop options for my consideration prior to the start of the 2012 season. These options will need to meet the following objectives:

o Conservation of the resource through enhanced monitoring of the recreational fishery, thereby keeping all halibut fisheries accountable for maintaining catches within the total allowable catch.

o Economic prosperity through predictable access for all users.

o Flexibility through an effective mechanism for transfers between the sectors.

I have long held the belief that those who participate in and depend on a fishery to make their living need to be able to provide input into how that fishery is managed. Ideally, that happens in a collaborative and constructive manner. Many stakeholders from both sectors have clearly articulated their current positions, but I encourage continued dialogue about new approaches between interested parties and my officials. The sooner a permanent solution is found, the sooner British Columbians can put uncertainty behind them and look forward to a viable future for this fishery.