Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 AM

Default Puerto Plata Fishing in July

First of all I would like to start by saying that I am not leaving my beautiful canadian summer to go to the dominican in July by choice... But I am locked in for the trip and would like to do some fishing while i'm there. I'll be bringing my 4 piece 8wt and some different streamer patterns i've had success with in the past in mexico and jamaica. Has anyone had any good experiences fishing there or have any contact info for a decent charter. I'd be happy with doing some fly fishing on the flats but will go deep as well. Everything i've read so far has been fairly negative but i'm hoping there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbosch View Post
First of all I would like to start by saying that I am not leaving my beautiful canadian summer to go to the dominican in July by choice... But I am locked in for the trip and would like to do some fishing while i'm there. I'll be bringing my 4 piece 8wt and some different streamer patterns i've had success with in the past in mexico and jamaica. Has anyone had any good experiences fishing there or have any contact info for a decent charter. I'd be happy with doing some fly fishing on the flats but will go deep as well. Everything i've read so far has been fairly negative but i'm hoping there is some light at the end of the tunnel.
Anyone Ever fished this region before? ANywhere in the dominican possibly?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:18 PM

I was down there twice in the last 5 years.. in March.. we decided to go on the fishing chapters booked at the hotels... big mistake.. big waste of money.. the boats headed out and did a circle for 4 hours.. the only thing we caught was one single mahi-mahi.. was not impressed.. told myself no way again... If I were to fish I find a off hotel chapter and quizz them before hand to see they go to different locations each day, keep in touch with other boat to get a feel for the day or actually watch for signs and react.. Personally found the fishing better in Cuba .

Waiting to hear from friends if they are still pulling the same routine on the south side of the island.