Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-21-2011, 09:17 AM

Default Pigeon Lake Update

Fished saturday evening and caught 1 walleye. 15 FOW moonlight bay. Fished from 5 FOW to 18 FOW lookin for the whites... Saw one on the cam and nothing else.... Just wasn't on them..

Left the lake yesterday afternoon after a large dump of snow... I had to shovel off the snow before drilling through the ice as my auger was just about bottoming out... At this rate the ice might nto be off the lake until july long weekend instead of may long!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00237-20110319-1907.jpg (70.4 KB, 266 views)
Old 03-21-2011, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Fished saturday evening and caught 1 walleye. 15 FOW moonlight bay. Fished from 5 FOW to 18 FOW lookin for the whites... Saw one on the cam and nothing else.... Just wasn't on them..

Left the lake yesterday afternoon after a large dump of snow... I had to shovel off the snow before drilling through the ice as my auger was just about bottoming out... At this rate the ice might nto be off the lake until july long weekend instead of may long!

I remeber one year I was looking forward to fishing for lakers at Lake Minnewanka banff for the May long weekend, and sure enough the lake still had ice on it.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:24 PM

i found them whites. but were not biting too much they seem to like white jigs with no tail lately. also the lake is sled only unless you stick by shore with a quad even then you may get stuck a few times. that was quite the dumping of snow yesterday on the lake. the ice on pigeon is thick! couple more inches and the auger would have hit the handle
Old 03-27-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflyin View Post
i found them whites. but were not biting too much they seem to like white jigs with no tail lately. also the lake is sled only unless you stick by shore with a quad even then you may get stuck a few times. that was quite the dumping of snow yesterday on the lake. the ice on pigeon is thick! couple more inches and the auger would have hit the handle
Oh no I might have to redrill some old holes of other people if this is the case and I can't make it through
Old 03-27-2011, 09:49 PM

nice looking eye.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:57 PM

Went out yesterday, had to use the sled. Lots of snow and bad flood water in places. Fished several areas from Grandview to Mulhurst and over at the island. Water is starting to get turbid, only four feet of visibility in areas. Bite was slow to.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 PM

It was slow at the provincial park today. I managed to catch 1 white all day.There is lots of snow on the ice.Trucks not recommended.There were sleds cruising around without any problems.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
It was slow at the provincial park today. I managed to catch 1 white all day.There is lots of snow on the ice.Trucks not recommended.There were sleds cruising around without any problems.
Did you see anymore whites?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
Did you see anymore whites?
Ya, me and my son saw about 12 to 15 whites all day but not interested in biting.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckmaster View Post
Ya, me and my son saw about 12 to 15 whites all day but not interested in biting.
Yeah it can be irritating just seeing whitefish swim by the hook and not bite it. I was at Pegasus lake 5 years ago and probably saw 30 whitefish that would just look at my wiremorm for a second then swim off. My fishing partner finally figured out what technique was sort of working and caught 2.

I find it so strange with whitefish how one day they won't bite the hook or even look at the wireworm jigged lightly. Then the next day they will smack a 4'' walleye jig tipped with a minnow being jigged agressively, or hit an agressively jigged perch lure. lol

Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwood 456 View Post
Yeah it can be irritating just seeing whitefish swim by the hook and not bite it. I was at Pegasus lake 5 years ago and probably saw 30 whitefish that would just look at my wiremorm for a second then swim off. My fishing partner finally figured out what technique was sort of working and caught 2.

I find it so strange with whitefish how one day they won't bite the hook or even look at the wireworm jigged lightly. Then the next day they will smack a 4'' walleye jig tipped with a minnow being jigged agressively, or hit an agressively jigged perch lure. lol
ya differnt forages...differnt timne of year differnt things to eat so theyll switch on and off like cutts on cronomids
Old 03-31-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
ya differnt forages...differnt timne of year differnt things to eat so theyll switch on and off like cutts on cronomids
My theory is they are all female fish. Mood changes with swimming direction.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:38 PM

It was dead at mission beach today.Not even 1 fish to be seen but a beautiful sunny day was enjoyed.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:31 PM

Thats my line. Buckmaster you dont know how to fish