Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 PM

Default Suggestions...

Headed in to look at getting a new fly rod and reel tomorrow. Spent last year with a TFO 5wt 4 piece. Still want a 4 piece but maybe something a with a little more backbone than the 5wt. Pulled in a few pike in last year not big ones. BUT if I had got one my rod just would not have made it I dont think.

I like the idea that all I need to do with the TFO is drive into town and withing 5 mins at the warehouse I have a new piece no questions asked. Am I sacrificing quality for ease of replacement? As well I used a large reel last year and would like to size that down a little. But be able to handle a larger fish if need be. I do most of my shopping at the big stores. Does anyone have a mom and pop shop I can walk into and not only buy gear but make a friend as well?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
Headed in to look at getting a new fly rod and reel tomorrow. Spent last year with a TFO 5wt 4 piece. Still want a 4 piece but maybe something a with a little more backbone than the 5wt. Pulled in a few pike in last year not big ones. BUT if I had got one my rod just would not have made it I dont think.

I like the idea that all I need to do with the TFO is drive into town and withing 5 mins at the warehouse I have a new piece no questions asked. Am I sacrificing quality for ease of replacement? As well I used a large reel last year and would like to size that down a little. But be able to handle a larger fish if need be. I do most of my shopping at the big stores. Does anyone have a mom and pop shop I can walk into and not only buy gear but make a friend as well?

Gord at West Winds is super guy and awesome fisherman
Old 03-30-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post

Peiroway fly rods they teach classes to make rods and you customize it yourself for about 220 bucks i belive.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:53 PM

You could also try the new TFO BVK which I found out was designed by gary loomis. Still have the TFO warranty and have a completely different rod. Go check them out and those pieroways. They are locally made in Calgary and I have heard nothing but good things about them. I am thinking my next fly rod may be a pieroway depending on how they feel when I get one in my hands
Old 03-30-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
You could also try the new TFO BVK which I found out was designed by gary loomis. Still have the TFO warranty and have a completely different rod. Go check them out and those pieroways. They are locally made in Calgary and I have heard nothing but good things about them. I am thinking my next fly rod may be a pieroway depending on how they feel when I get one in my hands
I was looking online today. TFO does have some others I would like to try. I am going to take a rip by there shop tomorrow and let the boys show me around.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 03-31-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Gord at West Winds is super guy and awesome fisherman
Agreed, Gord has been around a long time and knows his stuff.

Check out a few of the smaller shops and look at some of the lesser known manufacturers like the T&T's etc. Maybe look into some lighter weight rods such as 2,3's and 4 wt's. That is where the quality of rod will really shine. Once you are into 5 and 6 wt's and up the quality will be less discernable. If you want delicate presentation with small flies for spooky trout the light "High end rods" really are hard to beat. They will also be less forgiving with bad technique in the wind but the upside is in the water they will show drag less too. If you get into larger fish with one "point" the rod at the fish and use the reels drag more, palming etc. If you use a heavier rod on small streams its hard to get enough line out to load the rod properly and accuracy and presentation will suffer. The light weights are not the end all be all but they do have there place in the foothills and are very worthwhile considering if you are shopping for something "new". To each his own but with the 2's and 3's i think it would also be wise to stick with a 2 piece. Best of luck on your choices, i just thought it might be worth while considering.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:56 AM

Does TFO make pink rods?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Does TFO make pink rods?
Hahaha
Old 04-01-2011, 12:53 PM

Default Pink rod

Come on Gibson you didn't hear that there is a new owner of the infamous pink rod. Mr flyfish is the new owner. We were also discussing we should move it around the group. Kind of like the award for getting skunked or something strangehappens to you on one of our outings. It would have to be because you deserve the pink rod award........
Old 04-01-2011, 02:16 PM

I heard that Tony is the proud new owner of the pink rod of doom.

The thing is; He rocks it with style! When Jeff had it, the rod was embarrassed - something about making Jeff feel insufficient?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:24 PM

Default Tony was proud

Tony looked very proud with his fashionable pink stick. He did not seem to mind how it came to him. I think a hat and pink jacket just like in golf would be appropriate.