Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Default Iztapa Guatemala Fishing???

Hello all

Just wondering if anyone on this site has ever been there fishing. Looking at heading down for my Spring Break getaway to haul in some Sailfish and everything else they have in the waters there.

Cheers

MM
Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 AM

Well... I wasn't far from there (Huatulco) last week. Fishing sucked from shore but out in the ocean was reportedly awesome right now. Lots of sail fish and mahi mahi caught. I didn't get to venture out this time...but when we were on the catamaran we saw lots of fisherman and lots of fish being caught.

Last edited by nicemustang; 04-01-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:17 AM

Oh one more, bring lots of sun tan lotion. We didn't see below 32 degrees during the day and it was the only vacation the wife and I couldn't sit out in the sun and used 30 sun block all vacation long. It was simply just too damn hot, needed to be near shade.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Yep it's one of the best places for Sailfish in the world. You'll probably get into a bunch of Dorado (mahi mahi, dolphin) too. The differnet types of Marlin come through too but they are more seasonal. I'm not sure if or what will be running when you're there.

If it's billfish you want, you're going to the right place. Good luck, have fun.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:15 PM

Well after a long cold Winter here in AB some hot weather and cold Beer will do a body wonders.... Yes i am looking to target the Sailfish when i am there. Should be down there around the 10th of April for a few weeks. Been doing quite a bit of reading on the fishery there and i am expecting nothing but a fantastic time. Any recomends on hotels or charters? I love to just wing it when i travel by myself and not have anything booked. Makes for part of the adventure i think. Will spend the first few days in Guatemala City.

MM
Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder Man View Post
Well after a long cold Winter here in AB some hot weather and cold Beer will do a body wonders.... Yes i am looking to target the Sailfish when i am there. Should be down there around the 10th of April for a few weeks. Been doing quite a bit of reading on the fishery there and i am expecting nothing but a fantastic time. Any recomends on hotels or charters? I love to just wing it when i travel by myself and not have anything booked. Makes for part of the adventure i think. Will spend the first few days in Guatemala City.

MM
I've never been there but know it's good. All of my billfishing was done in Mexico. I never pre-booked a charter before. I'm kinda like you. I just walk down to the docks, ideally in a smaller fishing village and chat up the locals. Usually I'll find a friendly guy with a boat that will take me out for cash vs the bigger charter outfits. You seem a little more adventurous while some people would prefer the more professional, big name charters which are usually run by Americans. Have nothing against them and respect their business but I prefer to be more cultural and there's nothing like a born and raised local who's fished all his life in the area to get you on the fish.

Have fun!
Old 04-01-2011, 12:49 PM

Cash is your friend and peso is the BEST deal, not american.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:12 PM

Tacklerunner that is definately the best way to go. Nicemustang isnt Huataluco in Mexico? Just curiuos as you say Peso and i believe the currency for Guatemala is the Quetzal which is almost 8 of those bad boys to the Cdn Loonie. Also i think they accept the USD with open arms as well there. I am getting pretty pumped to have my arms ripped off all day long with a few or more days of offshore fishing. Going to take my Spin Cast with the Telescoping Rod in my pack as i always do with me also. Nothing like doing some shore fishing where ever a guy can.

Cheers

MM