Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2008, 11:55 AM

Default Richards Microfit Review - 56k beware

Since we had this wonderful dump of snow this weekend, I stayed indoors and finally got around to getting my Richards Microfit stocks I had ordered on my rifles. For you non readers, the pictures are at the bottom.

First thoughts, they took forever to come, I ordered them in September of 2007 and did not actually receive them until the tail end of March 2008. They had told me they were behind when I had ordered them and to expect 2-3 months. When they phoned in March I was surprised, I had actually thought they had forgotten, and since they hadn't charged my credit card I didn't worry about it too much. On a side note, I did get these set up for a larger barrel and a flat fore stock bottom, but the wait did seem a little bit long. In the end, when they phoned me for my credit card number, as they had lost it, I kind of hinted that they had taken too long and I may not want them anymore. They responded in kind by knocking off $150.00 from my order, so basically the one stock was almost free, good on them for doing this for me.

Second thoughts, the forest green stock in the pictures below is on my Savage .17hmr, they gave me some part numbers for different screws and a trigger guard that I would need to order from Savage. I ordered these and they came within the week, costing me under $10 shipped, when I tried to use them on the stock they didn't even come close to working. What I ended up doing was using the stock trigger guard, and doing some minor dremel work on the trigger guard itself to get it to fit, not a big deal but I'm not sure why they told me to order a trigger guard that did not fit. Also, the way the designed the Savage stock I need to remove the action from the stock to remove the bolt, it simply will not clear the cheek rest. That is probably my biggest problem with their stock, although I'm not sure if that is something I should have known before ordering, perhaps having the bolt removable would have ruined the lines of the stock, I don't know. I would have preferred to have the bolt easier to remove.

Third thing, the finish was kind of poor, they were quite rough when they arrived and I had to spend quite a bit of time sanding them, they had specified on the website 99% finished, but I would put this somewhere closer to 80%. It took me probably 2 hours per gun with some sandpaper and blocks to get them how I wanted them before I stained them. Again not a huge deal, but not what they had advertised either.

Last thing, now that they are all together, the fit is excellent, they are quite comfortable and I love the way they look stained. They are both the tack driver silhouette model, in royal camo on my .17hmr and black and gray on my 10-22. If you don't mind a little bit of a project they are a good stock. I don't know if I would have been as pleased if I had ended up paying full price but for what I've got into them I am pleased, and they look pretty sharp too.