Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-27-2013, 07:33 PM

[QUOTE=kmart;2213757]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvTheOutdoors View Post

I will shoot all I see, as well I usually snag a few each year in my traps. I will PM you when I get more.
Sounds great bud!
Old 11-27-2013, 08:20 PM

Default porcupines

I used to live in the backwoods of Manitoba and the first thing the old timers taught their grandkids was that you don't kill porcupines as if you are lost in the bush with no rifle etc. they are the only animal you can easily kill and eat (raw if need be). I've seen these old timers give their kids a real hard time for even thinking of killing a porky.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:02 PM

Default Porkers

Yea, I'm against killing porcupines too. I think they are neat little creatures, if I had one eating my trees I'd probably haul him away to someone else's trees. I've shot them in the past but I really doubt I would again.

By the way a good way to harvest quills is to throw an old blanket over a porky and you'll get all you want...without harming it.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:28 PM

Sure, mutilating an animal by removing its ability to defend itself against Predators (it will take a significant amount of time for those quills to grow back) is such a lovely thing to do... I suppose you advocate for the de-clawing of cats to avoid furniture scracthes?

Transfering your own problem to a neighbour! Calgarychef, bravo, you are a real class act. Porcupines chew through brakelines too. Perhaps the ones you get will focus on that activity instead of harming your trees, yet I doubt there are many (if any) present in a major urban center such as Calgary. Of course, I could be off base on that one. Now the reasonable among us will continue to harvest Porcupine and have a fine time doing it.

Carry on!
Old 11-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamham View Post
I used to live in the backwoods of Manitoba and the first thing the old timers taught their grandkids was that you don't kill porcupines as if you are lost in the bush with no rifle etc. they are the only animal you can easily kill and eat (raw if need be). I've seen these old timers give their kids a real hard time for even thinking of killing a porky.
I was taught that as well but I also recall that porkies were illegal to kill in some provinces out east for that exact reason. I'm not sure if it still is though. I wouldn't shoot one out of a tree in the bush for no particular reason but if I was taking quills out of my dog on a farm I'd try to fix the problem.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:11 AM

Default Porkies

No choke the part about bringing the porkies to the neighbours was tongue in cheek. I guess you didn't get that, must not be able to understand from on top of your high horse. And by the way the blanket doesn't take ALL of the quills out and I'm sure the porky can still defend itself quite well. I don't know how you think bringing cats into the conversation makes any sense, but hey who am I to judge?

You want to kill porkies go ahead, I never said you shouldn't , I said I probably won't. Sheesh, take a pill.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
No choke the part about bringing the porkies to the neighbours was tongue in cheek. I guess you didn't get that, must not be able to understand from on top of your high horse. And by the way the blanket doesn't take ALL of the quills out and I'm sure the porky can still defend itself quite well. I don't know how you think bringing cats into the conversation makes any sense, but hey who am I to judge?

You want to kill porkies go ahead, I never said you shouldn't , I said I probably won't. Sheesh, take a pill.
I agree with Calgarychef here. You no what, I'm not saying you can't kill them, I just think it causes disrespect to the animal. Imagine you are walking around and doing something you always do (which may bug a neighbor in some way) and all of a sudden, BAM, there's a bullet in you?! Just doesn't seem fair to me, if your dog is having issues with it, relocate the animal.. But like I said, not saying you can't do it, just putting in my thoughts.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:59 PM

Flytrapper,

As per statements made by yourself in your thread "New Gun" I am aware you are interested in Hunting and are 14 years of age. As such, I understand why your statements here are what they are. If and when you harvest your first game animal, perhaps you will then understand how one can have great respect for and care deeply about an animal one Hunts. I wish you all the best in life and for many happy and safe years afield should you choose to step foot there in the future.

One bit of wisdom that I shall offer you concerning rural life is that relocating problem wildlife onto the property of a neighbour is not good, in fact it is a highly disreputable tact to take. If such an action were discovered, it may well lead to serious problems with said neighbour in the future. In short - this is highly unethical behaviour.

CalgaryChef,

I was operating under the auspices of you being a grown adult. I see I was off base on the matter. I too was having some fun in my reply to yourself and I get the intent of your prior post. The cat mention was a part of this as well as linked to the mutilation aspect as mentioned in doing so. None the less, stating you are "against" something implies you have a problem with others conducting said activity and believe such acivity should not occur and/or be illegal. This seems especially so when seperate mention is made of your own actions on the matter as demonstrated by your closing statement in your first post on this thread.

As you can see by reading the Forum Rules/Preamble there are many people of all ages (a high number of whom are children) whom read posts here on Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum. As such, I believe responsibility and Ethics should be highlighted at all times. FlyTrapper (a young urbanite with an interest in the Outdoors) seemed to believe what you stated as per relocation on to a neighbours property as actually reasonable where as you and I know perfectly well how terrible that is. Alas, we are not the only ones reading this Forum.

Your actions in this thread meet the definition of an internet troll to be sure -

"In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

It is clear that the intent of this thread as concieved by the Original Poster is to recieve Porcupine elements for craft purposes and as such is pro-Porcupine harvest. You may not care about the species as a game animal (yes, I know it is not regulated as a game animal in Alberta). On the other hand, one of my favourite things about Alberta is that they may be freely harvested, unlike in many other jurisdiction such as British Columbia. Perhaps you would be better served to relocate to such a jurisdiction. Same goes for others who wish to besmirch Porcupine harvest.

It is a rarified interest for the most part and I am very exciting to read a thread on the topic. Hopefully this thread and others like it will be left alone in the future to proceed pleasantly.

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 11-29-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
Flytrapper,

As per statements made by yourself in your thread "New Gun" I am aware you are interested in Hunting and are 14 years of age. As such, I understand why your statements here are what they are. If and when you harvest your first game animal, perhaps you will then understand how one can have great respect for and care deeply about an animal one Hunts. I wish you all the best in life and for many happy and safe years afield should you choose to step foot there in the future.

One bit of wisdom that I shall offer you concerning rural life is that relocating problem wildlife onto the property of a neighbour is not good, in fact it is a highly disreputable tact to take. If such an action were discovered, it may well lead to serious problems with said neighbour in the future. In short - this is highly unethical behaviour.

CalgaryChef,

I was operating under the auspices of you being a grown adult. I see I was off base on the matter. I too was having some fun in my reply to yourself and I get the intent of your prior post. The cat mention was a part of this as well as linked to the mutilation aspect as mentioned in doing so. None the less, stating you are "against" something implies you have a problem with others conducting said activity and believe such acivity should not occur and/or be illegal. This seems especially so when seperate mention is made of your own actions on the matter as demonstrated by your closing statement in your first post on this thread.

As you can see by reading the Forum Rules/Preamble there are many people of all ages (a high number of whom are children) whom read posts here on Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum. As such, I believe responsibility and Ethics should be highlighted at all times. FlyTrapper (a young urbanite with an interest in the Outdoors) seemed to believe what you stated as per relocation on to a neighbours property as actually reasonable where as you and I know perfectly well how terrible that is. Alas, we are not the only ones reading this Forum.

Your actions in this thread meet the definition of an internet troll to be sure -

"In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

It is clear that the intent of this thread as concieved by the Original Poster is to recieve Porcupine elements for craft purposes and as such is pro-Porcupine harvest. You may not care about the species as a game animal (yes, I know it is not regulated as a game animal in Alberta). On the other hand, one of my favourite things about Alberta is that they may be freely harvested, unlike in many other jurisdiction such as British Columbia. Perhaps you would be better served to relocate to such a jurisdiction. Same goes for others who wish to besmirch Porcupine harvest.

It is a rarified interest for the most part and I am very exciting to read a thread on the topic. Hopefully this thread and others like it will be left alone in the future to proceed pleasantly.
Ummm....ummmm.....nevermind.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:33 AM

What disturbs me most about this porcupine issue is:

Because certain animals are not designated as game animals or are not regulated does not mean those "un"-game animals can be killed at leisure.
I understand controlling problem animals but some people are suggesting to blast away at all they see. Sort of a kill 'em all attitude. Bad suggestions IMO.
These are the same people that in ten years will be complaining they can't figure out why they don't see any wildlife around.

__________________________________________________ _______________
I will practice due diligence in understanding the balances in nature that my actions may have impact on.
I will walk softly with a direction.
Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 11-29-2013 at 02:38 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
What disturbs me most about this porcupine issue is:

Because certain animals are not designated as game animals or are not regulated does not mean those "un"-game animals can be killed at leisure.
I understand controlling problem animals but some people are suggesting to blast away at all they see. Sort of a kill 'em all attitude. Bad suggestions IMO.
These are the same people that in ten years will be complaining they can't figure out why they don't see any wildlife around.
This is a great point. (Hence my "Please do Harvest with caution, Ethics and RESPECT FOR GAME PERSUED" statement earlier in the thread.)

Alot of fun and silliness has been had on this thread, yet one of the finest points to keep in mind is to not extirpate nor harvest much too heavily. Too many should definitely not be taken from a single location.

None the less I do not believe that Porcupines are anywhere near being at risk of extirpation anywhere in Alberta as of this writing. Porcupine new borns have a fine survival rate as they are quite functional (quills included) within hours of birth. Additionally the adults of the species appear to reproduce effectively. Furthermore, this is a species persued by few predators, Human or animal. Most Hunters do not take them even when presented as a target of opportunity.

As such, Porcupines are an underutilized resource here in Alberta. Contrast this with species that are highly regulated (rightly so) such as Pronghorn Antelope, Mountain Goat or even Turkey. If there were no regulations concerning these Big Game species, extirpation would be gauranteed in a single season!

The solution is to take to porcupines you can use and share the wealth of harvest with others where possible. Epecially if one kills a Porcupine as a pest or simply eats them but does not utilize their hide/quills then providing them to someone such as our Original Poster would certainly not be harmful to say the least.

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 11-29-2013 at 03:15 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham View Post
Flytrapper,

CalgaryChef,

Well I still do not agree fully but I can see where you are coming from. And thank you for the wishes!
Old 11-29-2013, 08:54 AM

I will kill a porcupine without hesitation IF there is a risk for a dog being injured. But never if there are no dogs around. Letting your dog get hammered by a porcupine to "teach it a lesson" could destroy it's hunting aggression on other animals and make it timid to flush.

7 porcupines vs 1 dog.... I have never seen a gang of porcupines... what color bandanas do they wear?

No, I'm NOT "trying out for Duck Dynasty"...
Old 11-29-2013, 09:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Yup exactly as mentioned. The quills n hair are used in arts and crafts. I use as much as I can get a winter. Thanks.
You don't eat them
Old 11-29-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
You don't eat them
I do on my own fresh kills. But I ain't eating on in pick up off another guy 10 days old lol
Old 11-30-2013, 09:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Where did so many PETA members come from?

So what if someone kills a porcupine, there is a reason they are not a protected species.

Next some so called hunters will be telling me I should relocate the mice I trap in my house.

Geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz!!!!

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-30-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Where did so many PETA members come from?

So what if someone kills a porcupine, there is a reason they are not a protected species.

Next some so called hunters will be telling me I should relocate the mice I trap in my house.

Geeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zz!!!!
Exactly!!!!! LOL I thought we were in a hunter/trappers forum not an animal rights activists group.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:01 PM

Default Highly Unlikely

I doubt there is Dog guy who doesn't dispatch these things as quickly as
Possible .
Old 11-30-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Exactly!!!!! LOL I thought we were in a hunter/trappers forum not an animal rights activists group.
We are on a hunter/trapper forum and we have a responsibility to encourage responsible use of our animals and lands. Protected/designated species or not.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
I doubt there is Dog guy who doesn't dispatch these things as quickly as
Possible .
Uh, I don't.

I have trained my dogs to leave them be; the same way I have trained them not to chase deer.

Kiva (young dog) and I got on one a few weeks back; she pointed it and then started to move in on it. I was quick on the ecollar and gave her a mild zap, then sent her off for birds.

The other day we came across another in some tall grass. Kiva was interested, but wouldn't move in on it even with some egging-on by me (ready to zap her good). So it looks like she has already figure out that we are not interested in them.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Uh, I don't.

I have trained my dogs to leave them be; the same way I have trained them not to chase deer.

Kiva (young dog) and I got on one a few weeks back; she pointed it and then started to move in on it. I was quick on the ecollar and gave her a mild zap, then sent her off for birds.

The other day we came across another in some tall grass. Kiva was interested, but wouldn't move in on it even with some egging-on by me (ready to zap her good). So it looks like she has already figure out that we are not interested in them.
Best post of the year!!!!

A perfect example of how a real gentleman confronts such topics.

Not judgmental, just real first hand solutions to what is to some, a very real problem.

I wish I responded this way far more often then I do.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-30-2013, 11:26 PM

Aww schuks, thanks Keg.

To be honest, I have considered whacking one occasionally as I wondered how they would cook up, and I have friends who would love the guard hairs.

I have seen a few hunting dogs with quills pounded deep into their faces, and the thought of it happening to my dogs makes me cringe. I just have a hard time blaming a slow, docile critter for passively protecting itself.

Now skunks, on the other hand, I have shot when they refuse to alter their course of movement.... when I (and / or dogs) am on that course!

I don't condemn others for shooting them, but it doesn't solve the real problem: which is your dog cannot be trusted to not attack them when found, which will inevitably happen, somewhere at sometime, where you can't do a damn thing about it.

I love my dogs too much to leave it all to chance. I like to look at every encounter with all wildlife as learning opportunities for the dogs.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:57 AM

I'll admit I have a serious hate on for them now. I had to pull 65 quills out of one of my labs a few years back. She was bouncing thru a bunch of tumbleweeds looking for pheasants. She yelped and jumped sideways, then bent down and yelped again. When she lifted her head and came running back to me crying she had 10 under her chin and in her neck and 55 in her front legs and paws.

I am curious as to what purpose people think they serve besides food for predators. I haven't been able to figure that one out. They decimate trees and shrubs.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:58 PM

They are just part of North America's natural flora and fauna Cowtown.

I also think that a lot of people (myself included) don't equate fun with killing, and I think that is what some people object to: the idea of just killing a docile animal because you can, without any consideration of the animal's intrinsic value as a living creature. Some don't think live animals are appropriate for "target practice" or checking if your firing pin is working.

They are in no way endangered or at risk, so blast away if it makes you feel better, just realize that it doesn't solve the issue with your dog. If it is eating your trees, well that is a bit different.

As the OP and some others have indicated some people have a use for them; great!

FYI, the PETA comments are not appropriate here; people are not arguing for a change in the law, they are just providing their opinions. Remember, opinions are like a.......
Old 12-01-2013, 01:09 PM

Personally I was always taught by my dad not to kill them just for no reason because if you were ever lost in the bush they would be an easy food source

Steve In GP

Old 12-01-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
Best post of the year!!!!

A perfect example of how a real gentleman confronts such topics.

Not judgmental, just real first hand solutions to what is to some, a very real problem.

I wish I responded this way far more often then I do.
Wait you know what an E-collar is right, shocking the dog and frying brain cells and all that

Lmao jokes haha I use one too. We had a great adversion excersize earlier this year, but she musta forgot all about it and got about 3" away from getting smacked in some real thick rosebushes. Im just glad I seen it when I did, instead of giving her another "Ok" command!! Had I not seen it, the last day of pheasants woulda been cut very short lol
Old 12-02-2013, 07:24 AM

Haven't read all posts listed here but from this ranchers view point all porkys we find end up buried . Those who think they are just fine have never pulled 300+ quills out of a cow , horses or the family dog . Sorry , but that's the way it is at my house .
Old 12-02-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Haven't read all posts listed here but from this ranchers view point all porkys we find end up buried . Those who think they are just fine have never pulled 300+ quills out of a cow , horses or the family dog . Sorry , but that's the way it is at my house .
Well next time it happens instead of leaving him to rot, give me a shout and I'll be more than happy to pick him up
Old 12-02-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Well next time it happens instead of leaving him to rot, give me a shout and I'll be more than happy to pick him up
Be glad to, but you'd have along drive . I'm 25 miles from the Montana border .
Old 12-03-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Be glad to, but you'd have along drive . I'm 25 miles from the Montana border .
No problem, if u get em I'll come for em.