Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-13-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder monkey View Post
That seems a little odd to me. I usually don't have coyotes eating other coyotes until it is very cold. It could be that some were with this one when he got caught and they got excited.
Or was it wolves?
A week ago I had a coyote caught in a trail snare that was killed and eaten by others. I have had this happen in the past also. Track evidence in the snow shows it was a group of coyotes traveling together and one got caught, then in the ensuing frenzy with the coyote tying to get loose of the snare I believe the others get all excited and a fight occurs, then the snared one gets killed then the others eat it.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:52 PM

Finally got the photobucket issue solved so I thought I would share a few pics from my season so far. I will now have to get more pics from the line.

A few marten

A fox that ate a couple of my marten then fell victim to a wolverine set.

I hadn't got a fisher in three years, this year three in one check. Two of them I took in mink sets.

My Daughter and I both got black wolves, mine in a coyote set with a #three soft catch and hers at a wolverine set with a snare. Hers had been coming almost daily to her set so she put in a blind trail set and within the week had it. Since it is her first wolf i'm getting it tanned for her to keep. To say she was a little excited would be an understatement.

mine

hers

Old 12-13-2014, 08:05 PM

Beautiful!
Real nice pics scottymac
Old 12-13-2014, 08:10 PM

nice pics
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-13-2014, 08:13 PM

Sweet!!!
Old 12-13-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
I was a little skeptical on posting this but here goes. So I set new snares out 3 days ago, figured I'd stay away for a few days like some guys recommended and this is what I came to today.

[IMG][/IMG]
I had this happen quite often in 2012 in one of the places I snared. I even have them eating the skinned out coyotes this year. Only had it happen when it was warm. Not sure why.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:47 PM

Must be because it warms up and the bait smells more, I had a bait station wasn't getting touched hardly when it was cold then, this week it warmed up and got a couple dogs one after the other.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
I was a little skeptical on posting this but here goes. So I set new snares out 3 days ago, figured I'd stay away for a few days like some guys recommended and this is what I came to today.
Congrats on snaring your first coyote, Andy! Well, sorta.....lol! I saw a similar photo on a different site and the OP said that it was wolves that ate the coyote so that would be my guess. Did you happen to notice any tracks going into the coyote?

I have the time to do it so I check my snares every day, from a distance mind you. I have one path into the bait that I use and I can see most of my snares from that point. A piece of trail marker tape on the end of my extension helps me determine if the snare has been pulled. The coyotes don't seem to mind especially when I'm bringing them a free dinner.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:27 PM

Couple pics from out at the line this week. Picked up 5 marten, a fisher and a couple weasel.
Also managed to finally get a marten on trail camera being caught in a 120. But you'll have to wait to see it. Should be on an upcoming episode of Trapping Inc. this season. The efficiency of our modern traps is really something to see.

Thanks to Dwils and boonerkiller for coming out for a couple days on the line.
Old 12-14-2014, 04:37 PM

Figured I'd post a picture of my first Lynx as well. Was a few years ago, so the pictures aren't great. Caught him with a 220 in a cubby set. From what I remember anyway

I believe I was 5 or so, it would put the old man in his early 30's. Would have been 1984-85 ish

Old 12-14-2014, 04:49 PM

Great pics.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:49 PM

love thepics
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-14-2014, 07:32 PM

Great pics guys thanx for posting . After our snowstorm yesterday I fought thru 3 miles of drifts to check my bait pile snares . A couple I couldn't locate under 6 ft drifts , of the other 7 , one was set off and looked like a possible leg catch that pulled out . The last snare held what I thought was a good looking coyote til I got the hindquarters out of the snow and there was no hair at all on them or the tail . Third one with mange so far , glad to kill em and stop them from spreading it .
Old 12-15-2014, 12:44 PM

My Daughter and our wolves

Old 12-15-2014, 01:15 PM

great pics guys.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:47 PM

yeah, love the pics

3 from one of the baits. one real nice one, one pretty good one, and a runaway from Tennessee or some place far off.

Old 12-15-2014, 04:57 PM

Very good pic brag ! Keep it up !
Old 12-15-2014, 05:01 PM

Had an interesting surprise Sunday morning , had one Snared and when it lifted it up to cut it loose , a weasel that had chewed a few holes into it jumped out from inside and just about made me have a Heart attack ! What a mess that little guy made ! Couldn't even salvage it ! Wish I had taken pics of it !
Old 12-15-2014, 05:20 PM

[QUOTE=scottymac;2659011]My Daughter and our wolves

Good job Dad. That's worth more than anything money can buy.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
yeah, love the pics

3 from one of the baits. one real nice one, one pretty good one, and a runaway from Tennessee or some place far off.

That is one outstanding coyote.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:47 PM

Bragg, that runaway looks better than our brush dogs up here! We only dream of white dogs up here.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottymac View Post
That is one outstanding coyote.
You got that right.
So nice!Good job
Old 12-15-2014, 09:22 PM

Put out a dozen snares yesterday. My first attempt at snaring coyotes. 8 of which were on fence lines on existing trails. Today when I checked I had two misses and one live coyote. The snare was around the rib cage. I dispatched her right away and then kneeled there and tried to think of what I could have done differently to prevent it. The snare was on the bottom wire of a barbed wire fence, so not more than 16" between wire and ground. I would say the bottom of the snare would have been four to six inches from the ground and the top was inline with the fence line. Perhaps the loop should have been smaller? It was quite a cluster as the yote was snared at a three way intersection of fence line.
Very happy to have had success though and she is a nice looking coyote. The second dozen snares has already been ordered.
Any comments on the snare pics appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snare1.jpg (76.2 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg snare2.jpg (66.1 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg snare3.jpg (72.9 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg coyote1.jpg (63.8 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg coyote2.jpg (33.5 KB, 173 views)
Old 12-15-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
Put out a dozen snares yesterday. My first attempt at snaring coyotes. 8 of which were on fence lines on existing trails. Today when I checked I had two misses and one live coyote. The snare was around the rib cage. I dispatched her right away and then kneeled there and tried to think of what I could have done differently to prevent it. The snare was on the bottom wire of a barbed wire fence, so not more than 16" between wire and ground. I would say the bottom of the snare would have been four to six inches from the ground and the top was inline with the fence line. Perhaps the loop should have been smaller? It was quite a cluster as the yote was snared at a three way intersection of fence line.
Very happy to have had success though and she is a nice looking coyote. The second dozen snares has already been ordered.
Any comments on the snare pics appreciated.
My understanding is when dogs go under a fence they lead with their feet not their nose...likely how the snare ended up at the rib cage. It crawled under and had both feet in the snare as it wiggled under the fence....then the nose...then it wiggled part way before the snare slid closed.

I caught one the EXACT same way 1 day ago....

LC
Old 12-15-2014, 09:46 PM

I used to snare at fence crossings close to my baits but decided against it this year. Usually I find it makes a mess of the fence and you have a higher chance of making a bad catch. I figure if they are going to get caught closer to my bait in the bush why get them at the fence. I find that they are usually alive and all torn up from the barbed wire as well with chunks of fur missing also.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:06 AM
Banned

I was setting snares yesterday and I wanted to put one at a fence where the yotes had been crossing. I'd never set one at a fence before and I stood there for a bit trying to figure it out. My initial thought was that the coyote was going to cross the fence one leg first. What I ended up doing was moving the snare back from the fence about 16" so there was room for it's paw to avoid the snare. I have no idea if this is the best method or not but that's what I ended up doing.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:19 AM

I like fence line snaring. I ty the bottom fence wire up to the second wire so I have more clearance. Then you need 10 or more feet of snare anchored to the bottom of the nearest post. By tying the bottom wire up you will be able lift your snare higher givi.g the coyote a more inviting hole. Smaller loop and add some blocking on the sides. A coyote will cross with his head as high as possible with his forehead and back touching the wire. I take my collie with me most days and a person gets a good idea how to go about it. Lots of lead with a senneker kill spring. To me that's not being efficient avoiding a setup on a fence . I'm all about catching coyotes. Senneker set the bar with his setup on fence lines. I have caught 15 coyotes on the fence this year. Would I have taken them somewhere else? I'm not sure . One thing I know is that's there a 90 percent chance that the same coyote will come thru there again. What a better way to camo your snare then with a natural object what's similar. Rant over
Old 12-16-2014, 06:12 AM

Just to add you don't need the whole 14 inch loop hanging below the bottom wire. I still maintain good ground clearance. I might have the bottom of my looping hanging about 7 inches below the bottom barbwire. If I can raise the bottom wire up I still like to see 9 or more inches m from the bottom of my loop to the ground. Ever watched a dog crawl under a fence wire fence. A Lot of room between his legs and nose
Old 12-16-2014, 07:49 AM

First 17 to go to auctionImageUploadedByTapatalk1418741347.461041.jpg
Old 12-16-2014, 11:46 AM

I just set 6 snares at some fencing. I did lift the bottom wire about 4 inches and used that tie wire to help hold my snare. I have also been catching them at a Paige fence under crossing so I set my snare about 2 inches from ground so the paws will slip under the snare then the head through the loop. The cross under is about 4 inches high.

Nice yotes to the auction.