Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-15-2018, 07:24 PM

Default Burnstick and Birch Lake Ice Fishing

Hello all, me and a friend are headed up to Burnstick and Birch lake this weekend and want to know how to spread our time between each. We got and itch for perch and heard Burnstick is a hot ticket, but the promise of some fontinalis (Brook Trout) and maybe a brown to show my friend whos never seen either is also tempting. Heard Birch is halfway to empty from prior threads though. Just looking for general advice or info, were making the trek from Cowtown so any advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:51 PM

Default birch

fished birch twice at early ice and did really well in the mornings then went to burnstick for perch afterwards. Ive fished birch only a handfull of times in the past two years and have only seen rainbows come out of there. Try near the island in 6-9 FOW.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:40 PM

Yea, birch is usually pretty good but it's likely slowing down with the amount of pressure it gets. I would try using shrimp (the rubbery stuff not the canned stuff), dew worms, or smelts. I had awesome luck there this winter although I haven't been there in like 2 months.

Tags
birch lake, burnstick lake, ice fishing, trout