Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-08-2018, 02:25 PM

Default Spray lakes?

It's the last week of my last semester of university, it's supposed to be warm, the girlfriend's got the day off work... seems like the perfect day to play hookie and take her ice fishing. I have a spot where I've had lots of luck spring fishing on spray, but I'm worried access there might be difficult with all the ice gear. Wanna make it an enjoyable experience for the lady more than anything though so don't wanna be scaling rock walls or anything too crazy.

I've never ice fished spray, so just wondering if anyone has recommendations on lures and depths to fish at. I'm gonna try to get to my spot, but if it seems too sketchy, I think I'll try one of the day use sites. I assume the access is easy from those spots?

Appreciate any help, and happy fishing!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Most people go onto the ice at the Driftwood or Sparrowhawk day use areas.... I usually go on at Sparrowhawk, near the bottom of the hill past Sparrowhawk Day Use Area sign. It's pretty easy with a sled and gear. I'd try fishing the bottom 10 or 15' of the lake, it's about 70-90' at Sparrowhawk. I usually use white marabou jigs tipped with a bit of smelt.

Last edited by Scott N; 04-08-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:22 PM

Appreciate the info. Anyone ever targeted the whites out there?

Old 04-09-2018, 03:07 PM

Went out today, figured I would update for anyone interested. Tried to hike in at sparrowhawk, fought the snow all the way to the lake but the drifts leading to the shore were so bad that i was sinking almost to my waist. Had to turn around and haul my sled back up the hill which was extremely difficult. Snowshoes almost a must. Went to the driftwood boat launch which had much easier access, but was late by then and I was physically/morally depleted hahah. Fished for a little and went home.

If you're heading up that way, bring snowshoes, pack light, and have a whole lot of gumption.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:23 PM

Wow, do they have that much new snow up there?
Old 04-09-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Wow, do they have that much new snow up there?
Not too much new snow... but I think as it's warming some of the structural integrity of the snowpack is starting to go, causing you to sink deep when you step in the wrong places. Snowpack is over 3 feet in some places for sure. I think I could've safely gotten down onto the ice at sparrowhawk, but the prospect of grunting my heavy sled all the way back up while sinking in, and then again on the 2nd hill afterwards was too bloody arduous. Maybe doable for 2 guys with good snowshoes, but not for me and my new to the outdoors girlfriend.