Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-06-2012, 09:24 PM

Default Opinions on Benelli Nova / SuperNova

I'm thinking about getting a shotgun for bird hunt, bear defense, close range coyote gun. I read good things about the Nova and wondering if there is any Nova owners on the board? Would you share your experience about it? Which barrel length would be the best for the above purposes, since it comes in 24,26 and 28"??
Is the Supernova worth the extra $?
Thank you!
Old 02-06-2012, 09:40 PM

I have the Nova and love it(28" barrel). I am a tall guy (6'5") so finding a gun that felt right was important. I find the fore-grip to be at the perfect distance for me. Gun has a nice feel to it, good balance and has yet to jam on me. I have been wondering for some time about getting a shorter barrel for defence (bears) but cant seem to justify it. Why have 1 shotgun with 2 barrels when you can have 2 shotguns for the same price? I think last time I looked, a new barrel for a Nova was around 400$ and you can buy an 870 for that.

Overall, I love the nova. It has good reach with the interchangeable chokes when I am shooting skeet, fits me very well, easy to take down.
Hope this helps!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Banned

I have the Super Nova with a 28" barrell. Most of my shooting with it is for goose hunting with a bit of trap and I felt the 28" barrell would be best for that. Fit is always important with a gun and out of all the shotguns I shouldered when I was looking, this one fit me the best. I have been shooting with it for a couple of years now, and am very happy with it.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:20 PM

I have a super nova in 12g with a 28"barrel I love it, such a mild shooting reliable gun my wife uses it and can shoot it all day without complaining.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:51 PM

Default I have a 28" nova

This was my first purchased shotgun. Bought it at basspro and was talked into it. I was looking at a something that was a semi-auto that was a good deal. I asked the guy behind the counter if this was a good deal. He asked if I needed the semi- and said if I did't need it, then the Nova is a MUCH better pump for the same price.

He explained that with lighter loads for shooting clays (I'm still learning) that the supernova and the gun I was originally looking at sometimes have difficulty loading the next shell. seemed to make sense.

I haven't had any jams and I've gone through 25 or so light load boxes at the range. I do recall you can't be wimpy with it, you have to pump it with some authority.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 PM

Talking

Thank you very much for your responses. It's a great community! :-)
Looks like it's an excellent quality shotgun for a good price. I'll check it out on my next trip to WSS.

Tags
benelli, nova, shotgun, supernova