Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 09:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Your Leupold is heavier, bulkier doesn't have the same magnification, doesn't track as precisely and isn't a whole lot cheeper.
no Sir, here you go, raw USD leupold price from website, and the swaro price is also USD from bhphoto (who give pretty good prices on optics, not sure what actual USD list is suggested from swaro for this...so take for what its worth

Swaro z5 3.5-18x44 bt

3.7"
1" tube
3.5-18x 44mm
58 moa adjustment elev, 36 windage
14.3" long
15.9 oz
$1329 usd

Leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40 (30mm side focus) cds-zl

3.7-4.4" eye relief
30mm tube
113 moa adjustment elev & windage
12.6" long
15.6 oz
$844 usd

So, as you can see, the swaro is nearly $500 USD more than the leupold, it's also almost half oz heavier, almost 2" longer (that's a big scope for an ounce counting mountain rifle), and it's got a pretty sad amount of adjustment range although i'm sure it's adequate for most 0-600 yard work, the leupold would not need a 20 moa rail to go play at 1000 yards

swaro gets a bit more mag range, likely a little better image quality, but she's a big girl compared to the leupy

that particular leupold is likely the most scope for the oz you can buy and it still fits on mountain rifle without looking like a telescope

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 09-25-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
no Sir, here you go, raw USD leupold price from website, and the swaro price is also USD from bhphoto (who give pretty good prices on optics, not sure what actual USD list is suggested from swaro for this...so take for what its worth

Swaro z5 3.5-18x44 bt

3.7"
1" tube
3.5-18x 44mm
58 moa adjustment elev, 36 windage
14.3" long
15.9 oz
$1329 usd

Leupold vx3i 4.5-14x40 (30mm side focus) cds-zl

3.7-4.4" eye relief
30mm tube
113 moa adjustment elev & windage
12.6" long
15.6 oz
$844 usd

So, as you can see, the swaro is nearly $500 USD more than the leupold, it's also almost half oz heavier, almost 2" longer (that's a big scope for an ounce counting mountain rifle), and it's got a pretty sad amount of adjustment range although i'm sure it's adequate for most 0-600 yard work, the leupold would not need a 20 moa rail to go play at 1000 yards

swaro gets a bit more mag range, likely a little better image quality, but she's a big girl compared to the leupy

that particular leupold is likely the most scope for the oz you can buy and it still fits on mountain rifle without looking like a telescope

To be truly Apples to Apples you would need to compare it to the Leupold V5

The v5 is 21.9 ounces 3x15 power and cost $1,699 U.S.

Weight (oz) 21.9

Windage and Elevation 75 MOA - Length (in) 13.58 - Eye Relief (in) - Low 3.70 - Eye Relief (in) - High 3.82
Old 09-25-2020, 10:09 AM
Banned

i disagree, you cannot compare a 22 oz scope with a 16 oz scope, and that's what you'd be doing with vx5 version to that swaro...swaro wins and the leupy doesn't even get out of the box for me

you're comparing 1 lb scopes here

i had the smallest vx5 2-10x42 and it was an absolute tank compared to the vx3i 4.5-14x40 (30mm side focus)...seriously, long, super heavy, bulky everywhere, giant eye box, it felt like a hammer you could use as a weapon itself

i'm a leupold fan but the vx5/6 are absolute tanks and imo don't suit a mountain rifle build and i urge you to actually weigh your vx5/6 on a scale compared to spec, until this one i had i had complete confidence in the weights of leupolds to spec, i weigh everything, the one i had was 2-3 oz heavier than listed

agree that the vx5/6 line is bulky like the swaro, but will be waaaay heavier so i would choose the swaro over the vx5/6

luckily they make the vx3i 4.5-14x40 30mm side focus cds-zl...it really is in a class of it's own and the supreme mountain hunting optic choice that can go as long as you want and still dimensionally fit compactly on a mountain rifle and lighter than all other options also, you cannot do more with 1 lb of scope

i mean in terms of scopes that go over 10x magnification and have parallax adjust and can do mid to long range duty

there lots of 9-13 oz 1" tube up to 10x scopes non-parallax scopes for average hunting rifles/distances etc. also and leupold usually wins on the size/weight of these over all comers as well, the vx3i range is pretty awesome period for true trim no fat hunting focused optics
Old 09-25-2020, 05:38 PM

Only 2 givens with scopes for me. Wouldn't touch a Bushnell, Vortex, or Burris with a 10' pole, and turrets on Euro glass are akin to putting a trailer hitch on a Ferrari.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:38 PM

Never had any issues with Leupold scopes for hunting, bounced them down a scree slope. ran one over, fallen over a few times, wiped against a tree by a horse. Have some Z3 Swaros now, a Z6 and 2 Zeiss Conquests, no issues with them either. Last one bought was a Z3 3.5-10x42 Duplex, and a Z3 2.5-10x42 BRH, liked the Z3 reticle and glass better., but to be fair, Z3 was 300.00 more. Used a Nikon 6.5-20 for varmints and range work for 27 yrs now, been good, sold a Leupold and kept the Nikon.
Wouldn't buy Bushnell or Burris again, I do like Burris rings though.
Have two illuminated scopes, both are OK so far, have a Leupold Deltapoint reflex that may have krapped though. Need to check that out, tried 3 batteries in it so far, no start. Was working earlier in the week.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:07 PM

Half of my rifles wear Leupolds and never had an issue. Simply the best glass for the money out there. I have some pretty old scopes fixed x4, a 1.5-4x and they are still outstanding scopes and crystal clear for vintage glass and better than brand new lower end brands by a long shot.

The newer Leupolds are fantastic.

I have a few Zeiss and Swaros and they are also outstanding glass, but they come at a higher price tag. The clarity is better, but it's seriously not significant compared to the price tag.

But, realistically, the Leopold, if you spend $ for $ against these is every bit as good.