Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 PM

Default Why we Hunt

Today I was reminded why I love getting out.. Took my 14 year old nephew out this afternoon his frist time. We walked a mile and a half thru the snow down a small trail to get to our chosen spot only to have a guy sitting in his truck watching the field.. After we got that straightened out he left and we got set up around 4:00. Nothing moving but a great evening to sit and take it all in. At 4:40 completed a rattling sequence and hit the grunt tube. Wow... 2deer come blowing out of the woods all geared up for something. Get them both into about 30 yards. The biggest one was a 1X1 about 8 inches long and the other had little nubs and I am sure no front teeth cause he was still sucking on his moms boob....haha.. Young guy took it all in we watched em until 5:10 and if we wanted to kill could have easily completed the deed. We snuck out back to the truck and drove home and had the discussion about hunting and just killing... He is going to hold out till he gets a bigger one than my sons first and couldnt figure out why people would want to sit in a truck to hunt.. I think he gets it already....Should be a great 3 weeks and this was a great evening even if we didnt seal the deal.... All the best to everyone out there . HT..
Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 PM

Good job getting a kid out. Hopefully he can seal the deal.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 PM

I think the actual kill plays the smallest part in the hunt. Im sure if we all went out and filled our tags first few days after opening, sure we would be happy but by the second week after opening we would all be going crazy cause the season would be over. Im tagged out and there is still 2 weekends left of the biggame season and I am sad about that lol.
I just love hunting
Old 11-12-2012, 10:58 PM

To me no one way of hunting is better than the next. It's about getting outdoors and spending time with your kids or a buddy, or just with your own thoughts. It doesn't matter whether your walking a cut line or doing some road hunting both have the same outcome a love for hunting and nature.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."