Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2015, 08:38 AM

Default 2015 F350 superduty Diesel

Any members have one? Interested in how your regens are going. Ive had mine about a year with about 25 k on it and it seems to go into regen more often and man she runs rough during the process. I bought it for the 5th wheel, but didnt consider the diesel vs gas for a dailey commuter of less than 50 kms a day. Honestly had I known about the regen, I probably would've gone with the gaser. Love the truck tho.

P.S not interested in debators or bashers so for once move along if you cant contribute to the intent of the post.

Dave
Old 08-06-2015, 09:32 AM

I have an '08 that I've put 250,000 km on. Different system, i know, but I did the DPF delete at 162,000 km along with an EGR delete, and I wish I had done it sooner. Mileage improved vastly overnight, and has been getting better ever since.

Short of that, I'd bring it up with your dealer, it might be a computer issue that needs a 're flash'
Old 08-06-2015, 10:33 AM

I have a 2015 with about 6000 kms. It has only come on 2 or 3 times that I noticed. It did not run rough during the regen.
I would take it in to get checked out. Maybe consider buying a cheap car for short driving when truck is not needed.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:45 AM

I have a 2015 with just under 6K on it Use it only for pulling the trailer and have seen the regen come on twice Both times were short and had no issues.

A separate question; Have you noticed any difference in the milage with the additional KM's. Reason for asking is mine is slowing starting to get better and I was wondering what a final break in number for the 6.7 is?
Old 08-06-2015, 07:12 PM

I have a 2013 with 36000 kms on it, I took it in the other day and Ford reflashed the pcm (it was a recall). What a difference, way more power and the fuel mileage went from 15.5l/100 to 13.5l/100. It did two regens on the way to Red Deer this morning and none coming home, 600 km rounder.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:42 PM

I've got a 2015 with 28000 km and 1400 hours on it. It idles 8-14 hours a day at work (I can't shut it off I work in the back and need the power and heater running) and has the manual regen option so after about 10 hours it hits 100% and I have to enable a regen. When driving I occasionally notice the passive regen notice but there is no noticeable difference in the smoothness or power. I have noticed a difference in regen frequency with different fuel sources, Chevron seems to regen the least and any fuel additive (even the ford stuff) leads to more frequent regens
Old 08-06-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
I have a 2015 with just under 6K on it Use it only for pulling the trailer and have seen the regen come on twice Both times were short and had no issues.

A separate question; Have you noticed any difference in the milage with the additional KM's. Reason for asking is mine is slowing starting to get better and I was wondering what a final break in number for the 6.7 is?
Thanks for replies. Around town I averge 19 L/100 this has never changed since new. On hwy im getting 12.4 and this is an improvement from new. Thats doing 110 kms per hour. If im in a hurry and pushing 130 it sits around 13.5 ish.

I guess I gotta get it in to get checked. I dont notice the regens on the hwy, usually if it comes on in town and im driving about 40 to 50 kms per hour from light to light. Also ive only had the " exhaust filter overloaded drive to clean" come on twice since new. I have talked to the dealer about it a couple of times and they say its normal. But again ive never had it looked at. I sorta wish it had the manual regen on it.

Dave
Old 08-06-2015, 11:20 PM

I have a 2015 f350. It's going to be a year old on august 19th. I just turned 50000 k on it last Monday. I haven't had a single issue with it and it hasn't been to the dealer since it bought it. Just been in for oil changes at recommended intervals but I usually take it to a lube shop as the dealers require appointments and are sometimes 3 weeks out. Anyhow, it never seems to run rough and fuel mileage is very good compared to my 6 litre. I tow my work trailers a lot so it's hard to say what my mileage is from day to day. When it's empty I fill it up....really like the truck though.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
Thanks for replies. Around town I averge 19 L/100 this has never changed since new. On hwy im getting 12.4 and this is an improvement from new. Thats doing 110 kms per hour. If im in a hurry and pushing 130 it sits around 13.5 ish.

I guess I gotta get it in to get checked. I dont notice the regens on the hwy, usually if it comes on in town and im driving about 40 to 50 kms per hour from light to light. Also ive only had the " exhaust filter overloaded drive to clean" come on twice since new. I have talked to the dealer about it a couple of times and they say its normal. But again ive never had it looked at. I sorta wish it had the manual regen on it.

Dave
Whst size tires are you running?
Old 08-07-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Any members have one? Interested in how your regens are going. Ive had mine about a year with about 25 k on it and it seems to go into regen more often and man she runs rough during the process. I bought it for the 5th wheel, but didnt consider the diesel vs gas for a dailey commuter of less than 50 kms a day. Honestly had I known about the regen, I probably would've gone with the gaser. Love the truck tho.

P.S not interested in debators or bashers so for once move along if you cant contribute to the intent of the post.

Dave
I have a 2015 F-350 with 77,000km mine does not run rough when it regens, maybe have it looked at, I have been a dodge guy my hole life but this new ford is awesome
Old 08-07-2015, 09:11 AM

I have the 2015 F350 with 34000 on it and as far as fuel mileage it sucks! Took it on a 2 week vacation just recently and the best I got is 24L/100kms travelling at 105km/hr. The worst I saw with a 20km head wind was 28.9L/100kms. The regen never came on during that 2 weeks of hauling but it came on twice during my first trip from home to work (15kilometers). I was anal about watching the guages on this trip. My 07 F350 with the 6L pulling the same trailer and same amount of weight would get 18L/100kms. I love the 2015 for all the features it does have and the ride but I'm going bankrupt filling it up.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Dave
Thanks - my highway - I drive a steady 115 and best with trailer and no wind was 17.5 L / 100km. I do not know for unloaded on the highway. Very little in town driving but it seems to be in 14 range. Running the factory 20 inch tires. Great truck overall for what we use it for.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:46 PM

Default How it works

dbcooper, driving the truck less than 50km is a short trip. The engine/PCM may just be getting to the point it wants to do a regen and you shut it off as you have reached your destination. Then you repeat it on the way home. The DPF has no time to run through it cycle. It should not run rough during this process, something is wrong. If somethings wrong it maybe making its condition worse. It doesn't matter what type of oil you use it all gets dirty at the same rate, change it. Trucks that idle all day need to watch the hour meter and change the oil every 200hrs, yes for some guys that means twice or even three times a month, same for the fuel filter. There are guys out there that pull a trailer every day and have never seen their truck go into regen as the passive regen is adequate and the DPF never gets full. Check the tail pipe if it is black and sooty you have a regen problem. All the changes made to diesel trucks over the years have nothing to do with fuel milage but is driven by the need to meet the new tighter emission standards.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirt4u View Post
dbcooper, driving the truck less than 50km is a short trip. The engine/PCM may just be getting to the point it wants to do a regen and you shut it off as you have reached your destination. Then you repeat it on the way home. The DPF has no time to run through it cycle. It should not run rough during this process, something is wrong. If somethings wrong it maybe making its condition worse. It doesn't matter what type of oil you use it all gets dirty at the same rate, change it. Trucks that idle all day need to watch the hour meter and change the oil every 200hrs, yes for some guys that means twice or even three times a month, same for the fuel filter. There are guys out there that pull a trailer every day and have never seen their truck go into regen as the passive regen is adequate and the DPF never gets full. Check the tail pipe if it is black and sooty you have a regen problem. All the changes made to diesel trucks over the years have nothing to do with fuel milage but is driven by the need to meet the new tighter emission standards.
Thanks for the response. Looking at my info right now my engine hours are 681 and idol hours are 187. Any thoughts other than I'm getting close to that 200 mark?

Thanks again

Dave
Old 08-07-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirt4u View Post
On another note these days when that regen starts I head to the hwy for a 25 min burn. Ussually by that time the milage goes back to normal then I head home.

Dave
Old 08-07-2015, 02:03 PM

Regen activation is a function enabled by preset temp parameters... Short trips in a diesel with a burner are REALLY bad for them because they can't burn...

My 2014 6.7 dident come with the DPF indicator enabled on the dash, don't trust an idjit light as it may not even be there... But when I run out of DEF it comes up with a derate warning...

The "easy" fix is running a tuner so you can manually initiate a burn, take it for a good hard drive and once up to temp complete 2 full regen's

The "cheap" fix is to take it back to the dealer and get any updates flashed and scream warranty! But they will no doubt soak you for a new upstream DPF temp/pressure sender to see if your burner is having issues not knowing how plugged it is

The "best" fix is to delete all that crap

My 2014 totes a space cap service body and I'm 6000kg over the scale, I average 19L per 100k hiway/oilfield and that's far better than my 2012 Ram diesel ever got with less weight... Just rolled over 90,000km, no issues yet.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 08-07-2015, 09:32 PM

I saw a 2015 f-350 diesel on the side of the highway just yesterday with the hood up and absolutely billowing white smoke out of the tailpipe. Had to feel sorry for the guy, after I busted a gut laughing of course.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:26 PM

I've got a 15 f-350. Mileage is good. Best I've seen empty at 110kmh is 11.4 fully loaded with 34 5er and quad trailer behind is usually around 22l/100k. Mileage has improved since new but only just over 5000k on er right now. The sales guy told me they didn't regen cause of the urea - load of crap. Mine has done a full regen only once (I purposely stayed on highway until complete) but now it just flashes regen started but when I go into info it says it's not doing anything. Weird. Maybe not right?
The ride is horrible though, even loaded it shakes the hell out of you on the highway. Without high jacking this thread I'll start another asking about that.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:51 AM

Thanks guys. I got an appointment thursday to get it looked at. Gal on the phone checked and there are no updates or recalls on my truck but said warrenty will cover it... so heres hoping she is correct lol

Dave
Old 08-08-2015, 10:08 AM

220swifty...... Don't mean to high jack but I have an 08 and am wondering what you mean by DFP and ERG delete ? Could you please enlighten me ?

Thanks in advance. Dog_River

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I have an '08 that I've put 250,000 km on. Different system, i know, but I did the DPF delete at 162,000 km along with an EGR delete, and I wish I had done it sooner. Mileage improved vastly overnight, and has been getting better ever since.

Short of that, I'd bring it up with your dealer, it might be a computer issue that needs a 're flash'
Old 08-15-2015, 09:21 AM

So just an update incase someone has a similar issue. I took it into ford and they couldn't find anything wrong. They contacted ford about it and fords response was "they are aware of the problem and believe its a software glitch, their working on an update to fix the problem. Should be ready in march 2016". I picked up the truck, drove it around town and got the exhaust filter overloaded drive to clean message haha Went out on the hwy for a fun 45 min sight seing drive.

Dave
Old 08-15-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog Al View Post
I have the 2015 F350 with 34000 on it and as far as fuel mileage it sucks! Took it on a 2 week vacation just recently and the best I got is 24L/100kms travelling at 105km/hr. The worst I saw with a 20km head wind was 28.9L/100kms. The regen never came on during that 2 weeks of hauling but it came on twice during my first trip from home to work (15kilometers). I was anal about watching the guages on this trip. My 07 F350 with the 6L pulling the same trailer and same amount of weight would get 18L/100kms. I love the 2015 for all the features it does have and the ride but I'm going bankrupt filling it up.
Might get better with more km. my recent camp trip I was getting 25L/100k. Towing 30' trailer fully loaded with 2 quads up on a deck( side loaded, so grab a ton of air) and the box packed full doing a average of 118-120km. I've got a 2011 with 35"x12.5x20, with 105k on it. I don't holiday much without the quads on the back, longest trip without has been whitefish where I was getting around 13L/100k doing 120km. I believe even when I go home to kelowna with the quads I'm in the teens. Any updates on any problems are good.