Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2015, 10:40 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Proud to be a homegrown Albertan with a short 120 year family root here.

I like that from the center of Alberta (located at approx. Swan Hills) within a few hours you can be in the extremes of the various terrains. From high mountain lakes to desert badlands. From the great forests to the tundra or prairie. I could never figure out why people always vacation away from Alberta... and then are amazed when they realize what they have not seen so close to home.

We live in an amazingly safe place natural disaster wise too. I like that a person can die from heatstroke or frostbite within only a two week time frame. Keeps a guy on his toes.

And I really like that my kids and myself can sleep at night still hearing the calls of the wild and not wartime skirmishes.

I can't wait for our Alberta winter to come.
And we don't have killer bees or fire ants or man eating Tige, , , , Mmmmm, , , okay so maybe we aren't that well off after all.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-13-2015, 10:51 PM

Anybody who says it's " just another Province" when they come up out of the Drumheller valley in the morning with the crop waving in the breeze or running down to some place like Longview watching a crew working a herd, is simply full of crap!
Whenever I put the boat into the Athabasca and head down river in the Fall, with the fog over the water and the Sun coming up I thank the good Lord that I live where I do -ALBERTA RULES!
The people and the country are top shelf in my books!
Cat
Old 08-13-2015, 10:52 PM
Banned

I like positive threads, there's nothing more I love than a nice calm summer day next to a fresh flowing river where the birds are singing and the fish are biting. All around me are mountains and the smell of pine trees and a real sense of just being at one with nature, kick back under a shady tree for a little snoozy after getting my fill of fresh trout. I like waking up refreshed with the sounds of the river flowing. Alberta winters bring just as much excitment for me, cross country sking or quading to the top of that scenic look out spot, you can see for miles around you and then getting excited that Christmas is coming with all the decorations on the streets and lights flickering, that turkey the wife is making and waiting when you return from your adventure. We as Albertans have the best back yard in the world ! Jam packed with some of the largest game and freshwater fish. If you haven't been in a while, I suggest you get out there and be today!
Old 08-13-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Proud to be a homegrown Albertan with a short 120 year family root here.

I like that from the center of Alberta (located at approx. Swan Hills) within a few hours you can be in the extremes of the various terrains. From high mountain lakes to desert badlands. From the great forests to the tundra or prairie. I could never figure out why people always vacation away from Alberta... and then are amazed when they realize what they have not seen so close to home.

We live in an amazingly safe place natural disaster wise too. I like that a person can die from heatstroke or frostbite within only a two week time frame. Keeps a guy on his toes.

And I really like that my kids and myself can sleep at night still hearing the calls of the wild and not wartime skirmishes.

I can't wait for our Alberta winter to come.
Wow thats truly amazing 120 years of heritage! good on ya
Old 08-13-2015, 11:38 PM
Banned

Our family has been here since 1903, there are now 6 generations and although I am not a real world traveler, I have been around a bit. There is no where else I would move to or retire to, I love the seasons, all of them. I like to visit the mountains, but I am prairie boy, gotta see my dog leave home for three days.

After 42 years in the city I am moving back home for a while. About 2 miles from where I was raised, and 15 miles from where my great great grandfather homesteaded in 1903. Will be right in the middle of where I do about 80% of my goose/hunting, and that is another great thing about Alberta. Spotting this year should be pretty easy, I am surrounded on three sides by pea fields.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:53 AM

Default Home

You guys have said a great many things about this wonderful land that I couldn't have said better.

To sum it all up for me is its "home sweet home".

Besides spending 5 years of my youth in Texas this has been my home. Born proud Albertan.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

A lot of diversity from flat lands to mountains to big woods. Lakes, rivers and everything in between...no ocean though but with global warming...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-14-2015, 07:39 AM
Banned

Hmmmm......what do I love about Alberta?

EVERYTHING!
Old 08-14-2015, 07:57 AM

Like most of you, I love the people, the landscape, the food, the hunting opportunities... What's not to love?

Spent a few years in exile when Dad got transferred to Ontario, and couldn't wait to get back here (even though I found things to appreciate about that place as well... Shocking!)

My boss keeps asking me why I am still living here... Sheesh. I can't figure him out.
Old 08-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Banned

Been an Albertan 58 of my 61 years.
It took my parents a couple of years to figure out things weren't happening in Saskatchwan
Love it here. No more than a couple of hours from whatever you want...desert, prairie, mountains...you name it.
I find the people, even in some of the larger centers more friendly than, say Montreal or Toronto (both of which I've spent months at time in).
The only thing I wish we had was St. Catherines St (Montreal) on a fine summers day...the women, OMG
Old 08-14-2015, 10:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Been an Albertan 58 of my 61 years.
It took my parents a couple of years to figure out things weren't happening in Saskatchwan
Love it here. No more than a couple of hours from whatever you want...desert, prairie, mountains...you name it.
I find the people, even in some of the larger centers more friendly than, say Montreal or Toronto (both of which I've spent months at time in).
The only thing I wish we had was St. Catherines St (Montreal) on a fine summers day...the women, OMG
Grew up in Montreal and was a bouncer at a very popular bar on St. Catherines St. for a couple of years. You got that right! I think it's the way they dress!
Old 08-14-2015, 08:25 PM

[QUOTE] Been out here for 5 years now, moved from Nova Scotia. Initially it was for financial reasons. As there was no good jobs out east.

Ah Nova Scotia love that place my parents are from there but moved out here 30 years ago!! I enjoy going back east for visits thats for sure.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
Wow thats truly amazing 120 years of heritage! good on ya

That's on my dad's side.

My kids's great X6 grandfather ( on their mom's side) was a voyageur for the North West company and came west to Fort Edmonton area in 1804. The forts had only been here 9 years at that stage. Around the same time as David Thompson was discovering and traveling in the area.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 08-14-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:01 PM

Every gravel road that leads nowhere, leads to some favourite or new haunt that holds a new memory. Guess that's why they are our favourites.
Many of my memories are of rescuing or being rescued by someone.

On more than one occasion, I've met up with those people 400kms away and in a different setting. 5-10 years later.

For you Easterner Albertans.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=096B_afff9U

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!

Last edited by Dacotensis; 08-14-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:22 AM

Born and spent my early years here, which gave me an advantage in school(besides algebra, didn't learn anything new for 4-5yrs) when we started moving about. Lived out east, lived near the Pacific, and all I can say is im proud to be able to live from sea to shining sea.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-15-2015, 08:12 AM

Some nice scenery in this one too, A pretty decent song too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUN0tQ5BINU
Old 08-15-2015, 08:57 AM

WHAT?... YOUR FULL OF DIPPERS what a sad place.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Gone Hunting

My dad came here in the early 1920s, my mother was born and raised near Mcloud. Her father and mother came to Alberta around 1890.

I was born and raised in the Peace River district of Northern Alberta.
I tried living in the south and I spent close to a year in BC but this is where I feel at home.

I can't stand the cold indifference of the big cities or the mad rush to get no where in particular. But even there the warmth of the people shines through.

But to be fair it's not just in Alberta that has wonderful people. I found the same people in Vancouver when I lived there and in Toronto when I visited that city.

I love the people of Alberta but what sets Alberta apart from the other provinces for me is the diversity of landscapes and the slower pace of life.

Here it's okay to stop to help a stranger. In other parts of the country that could get you in a lot of trouble.
It's that way a bit here too but not nearly so much as other places I've been.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-15-2015, 12:46 PM

Default Much happier now

That's it's more like Friendly Manitoba , a hodgepodge of
Immigrants from eastern Canada and further .
When I first came here Calgri was ethnically sterile reflected
In the poor cuisine and unfriendly attitudes . But now kind
Of Like a giant Toronto .....multi ethnic, metro sexual ,
Still no good burgers .

In 74 I came here , 245,000 people , what a dive .....Macleod trail
Was gravel .....Winnipeg was the shining metropolis of the west .
Came back in 87 , happy to be here , I got tired of driving to Alberta
To do all my business . So I moved here ....from BC .
Plan on taking some big Alberta pensions back to the coast .

I've been proud of every where I lived ,even the U.S. Of A .
My family goes back to 1640 in Quebec , 200 years in the USA
115 yrs in Manitoba . My wife's family settled in Bassano area
100 years ago . They are insufferable red necks , I'm so sick of
Hearing how the immigrants have destroyed this province ,
our way of life , the Co-Op . They are real happy , happy
About the new govt.

No argument the landscape is fantastic , this ain't your papas Alberta .
Old 08-15-2015, 04:07 PM

I was born and raised in Alberta and also resided in 5 other provinces, not by choice but, by job requirement. I came back to Alberta as it is the best province in Canada.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:22 PM

Born and bred Albertan here, have driven across Canada 2 times in my life, loved every piece of this great country, for me the most striking thing about Alberta is the diverse landscapes, from the sweet grass prairie in the south to the rockies in the west up to the badlands and parklands in Central Ab. and the boreal regions in the north, each with there very own unique eco-systems. I have a strong appreciation for the native indian that flourished here over the centuries, one can still find traces of their old existence especially in the south "land of the Blackfoot". One can actually dig for bison remains and dinosaur bones all in one day.

Alberta has always been about struggle and hardship, persevering and finding a way, there is so much more to Alberta than just oil.

I actually welcome this current downturn in the patch I think it will bring many people back down to earth where we should be.

"Always surprised at the people that come here and trash Alberta. Why put yourself through the torture of living here? Start your own thread about why Alberta is the worst place to live and why you stay."

Rugatika
Old 08-15-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
Good topic!

I recently celebrated 20 years in this slice of Heaven. My wife is from Edmonton and my children born in Calgary. I've busted my azz forging a life for us and hope that ethic will be passed along for many generations to come. I am an Albertan now and always will be. Threads such as these are good for adding some perspective. IMHO, there really isn't a better place to live on the planet.
Like ^^^

Nicely said Sean

"Always surprised at the people that come here and trash Alberta. Why put yourself through the torture of living here? Start your own thread about why Alberta is the worst place to live and why you stay."

Rugatika
Old 08-15-2015, 09:27 PM

I moved to Alberta from back east in 1982. Stayed for 9 years when an opportunity came to live and work in the Yukon. Stayed in the Yukon for 3.5 years, and was transferred with my job to the Okanagan. After 6 years in the Okanagan I was transferred to Vancouver Island. Been on the island for just over 15 years now and will probably retire here.

In 2010 wife and I took a trip back to Alberta. Spent several days camping and hiking in Kananaskis Country. It was like we had "come home". In 2013 I spent 10 days visiting my daughter and her husband in Calgary. Toured many areas affected by the floods (Elbow area of Kananaskis in particular). Again it was like coming home.

Love the mountains and the foothills, the central Alberta parkland, and the west country. Hope to be visiting again soon.

Mr Conservation
Old 08-15-2015, 09:37 PM

A west coast kid. Moved here 12 years ago come September. I love the people, business opportunity, and seemingly limitless outdoor pursuits.
Not looking back. I proudly announce that " I'm an albertan" around my old stompin grounds.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
Like ^^^

Nicely said Sean

Thanks bud.

Been in a bit of a magical mystery tour since we last spoke. Unanticipated career changes during nasty corporate divorces, economic downturns and political uncertainty are not without their challenges...

I hope all is well with your own adventure and for sure we'll tip a pint sooner rather than later.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Look at this thread.

This is a big part of what makes Alberta a good place to live.

The vast prairies, the mountains, the foothills, the rugged bad lands and endless Boreal forests make life interesting. The add veriety and beauty to our lives. But it's the pioneer spirt of the people who settled this provance and of those who come after are makes life here great.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-15-2015, 11:05 PM
Banned

That it can reach -50 with the windchill and the attitude is
"Just another day"