Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 09:26 PM

Default Telus Pure Fibre yard dig install

Has anyone had Telus come and install the new pure fibre by digging through the yard to your house? They say the install will be barely noticeable, but I have heard otherwise. What options does a person have if they would like to decline the installation?
Old 08-06-2020, 09:50 PM

Big chunks of grass killed, but otherwise no problems. Others have said they were very responsive to complaints. Pretty sure they had someone come around to get signatures before they started.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:58 PM

“You won’t even know we were ever here”. Mmmhmmm.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:04 PM

Well they did my yard. We now have a box in my front lawn. They also dug by a window well and dropped dirt in the well that was only gravel before.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:11 PM

They came and started their installation more then a year ago, they only recently finished filling holes, and seeding dead grass patch’s about a month ago, It’s funny this thread came up, because I came home today and there’s a descent size sink hole on my lawn, I’m disappointed, and not quite sure what to do!
Old 08-06-2020, 10:49 PM

They used contractors when they did our street. None of them other than the boss man spoke English and he couldn’t very well. They left a complete mess and some are still trying to get it straightened out.
Hope you have better work done than we did. Telus won’t do anything other than say we are the only ones who have ever complained and if we are not happy then talk to the contractor.
My neighbour and I ended up fixing the mess ourselves. A few others have been fighting it with a lawsuit but looks like it isn’t going anywhere.
There was only two houses that got it but they had to dig through several yards in the cul de sac to get to them as the box is in my yard.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:56 AM

Make sure they dig down deep enough. I had them redo mine because the original bore was only 2 inches deep in places. An aerator would hit it. You're then liable to have it fixed if something were to happen to it.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:48 AM

Look to Ledcor for any issues. Telus doesn't do construction.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:53 AM

For inquiries, maybe try 1-855-595-5588 as per the Telus Pure Fibre page:

https://www.telus.com/en/internet/fibre/new/areas

I know Telus uses contractors for this work.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 08-07-2020, 10:03 AM

Would the Surface Rights Board have jurisdiction over this? Just because the “surface” is in a residential neighborhood shouldn’t mean anything. A utility company buggering up your deeded property should still fall under their jurisdiction. I’d doubt they would care if the service is from the trunk line to your house but if you granted an easement across your property to service the neighborhood they will likely be able to assist you.

Give them a shout
Phone (780)427-2444
Email: srb.lcb@gov.ab.ca

Big companies making a mess on deeded land and not fixing it are beginning to tee me off. In my experience these companies will fall over themselves fixing issues once the board is involved.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 08-07-2020, 10:08 AM

I would thing they would be directional boring these lines, no? There is still some holes to repair afterwards, but it should be easier to remedy than if they are trenching the entire length of the property.

The City replaced underground power lines to the houses in my neighborhood a couple years ago, the contractors definitely do as little as possible. I definitely had to ride them on a few issues, to get fixed to my standard and the way it was before they came, a couple things still aren't perfect.

The worst part was when they left my gate open and a neighbor across the alley, my dog (small) was attached by the neighbors pitbull. The neighbor had signs on their gate reminding them to keep closed and everything.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
Look to Ledcor for any issues. Telus doesn't do construction.
Yes, they had a relationship with Telus for securing permission from homeowners to install the fibre, installing, then selling the services.

HML had a big part in the physical work in my area, there's a good chance that these are the workers that were being mentioned in this thread.

Made a mess in our neighborhood, but eventually it started to look neater. We tended to our mess, not sure what our neighbors did.

The guy who did the termination shortcutted into my yard, using my "trailer" gate, and didn't have the strength to close it, so he left it ajar. I did not appreciate that. At least he could have let me know so I could close it. Chose to block my driveway instead of parking down the block and walking a few extra feet.

Shook my head when I saw the tight fibre loops in my service panel. Also installed a Huawei modem (my trust level for them is not very high ATM).

After my install, I received a questionnaire from Telus, so I was able to complain a bit there. Not sure what good it did.

[edit] Wow, after reading this, I sure sound like a grumpy old fart.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:48 AM

Mine was finished 2 weeks ago, no complaints. The little whole/box is now gone as I had it ran to the house. The dig to house for piping is very minor and growing, the seed where hole/box was is growing. Old wire’s to house were brutal Shaw and TELUS and internet was a little weak last couple years so I’m happy.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:18 AM

I was a Telus install tech and a cable repair tech. I was on the original retrofit of fibre in Calgary. At that time 25% was done by Telus and the rest by contract workforces.
The Telus installs were typically unnoticeable, the contractor installs could be any where on the spectrum of quality.
I saw fibre terminal (demarcation point) installed on outsides of fences, I've seen fibre laid on grass, I've seen fiber stretched across gate openings. Ive seen fibre that was so poorly installed it had to be pulled back to the pole or pedestal.

All that said take the install and if you aren't satisfied, freak out and they will send Telus techs to fix it your satisfaction.

officeofthepresident@telus.com used to be an unpublished email to the CEO's office it can help having pictures of bad work.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Has anyone had Telus come and install the new pure fibre by digging through the yard to your house? They say the install will be barely noticeable, but I have heard otherwise. What options does a person have if they would like to decline the installation?
Yes you can deny them just don't sign the papers. Tell them to pound it cause you don't want their service. They said I would have a planter in my front yard where the lines would be hooked. Only been a month but it's just a flat plate at ground level and dead grass around it. Maybe ask them what you might get for compensation for doing that to your yard. They installed in the front but still have to go to the back behind the house. HMMMMM
Old 08-07-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Yes you can deny them just don't sign the papers. Tell them to pound it cause you don't want their service. They said I would have a planter in my front yard where the lines would be hooked. Only been a month but it's just a flat plate at ground level and dead grass around it. Maybe ask them what you might get for compensation for doing that to your yard. They installed in the front but still have to go to the back behind the house. HMMMMM
Ive never heard or seen Telus install a planter, that seems like convenient wording to get the go ahead.
As for compensation, Telus typically installs "hubs" in the utility corridors and you have virtually zero recourse.
Old 08-07-2020, 11:55 AM

They had a contractor do the install along the sidewalk here. Made a heck of a mess. Grease, leaked fuel and tracks from the directional drill machine. I asked the Ledcor super how they were going to fix it. He tells me they are bringing in professional landscapers. Ya right, a couple young fellas came along and tossed a few shovels of topsoil in the area. That was over a month ago. Some fellas came yesterday with telus trucks, they hand spaded a slot to the back of the house and installed the pipe for the fiber. They did a pretty good job.
I will be repairing the mess along the front myself I guess.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
The 'planter' is just a bucket in the front yard that has a duct running to the access point. It is from this 'planter' that a drill can access any properties that were not authorized access. For future in case a change of mind or ownership.

It kind of makes sense to have it all drilled for free vice paying a directional driller to come in five years down the road.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:58 PM

Sounds like home owners need to demand a deposit before work begins.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4extreme View Post
Sounds like home owners need to demand a deposit before work begins.
They are simply working in the utility corridor. If there are poles then that is also a corridor.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:25 AM

Told them to get bent!! We are happy with Shaw!

-Confucius
Old 08-08-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Told them to get bent!! We are happy with Shaw!
I don't care who does what to be honest. I'm definitely selling two properties before I get too old and that install is a selling point. For rural there will be Starlink.
Old 08-08-2020, 08:54 AM

Been waiting +10 years for Fibre, Telus a bunch of liars no matter who you speak with!