Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-18-2014, 07:36 PM

Default Turn down phobiea

This is kind of a on the lighter side post but does appear to apply down here
in the states.

Turn down phobiea is a term that came to mind because I've seen more posts about
poor arrow flight due to everything under the sun including overdraw, underdraw,
stiff spine, weak spine, bad form, out of spec. bows, wrong bow mfg. wrong arrow mfg,
wrong colors on your cresting, nocks unindexed, not enough shooting, too much shooting,
stab is missing, stab is too short, stab is too long or too left or right.

For some reason few people today can get up the muster to do a very simple thing
that will cost no money and simply try to turn down the DW maybe 3 lbs to see if that
makes a diff.

It can be done, it don't cost any paysos and takes little time, but nobody seems to want
to consider it.

Why is that ?

The reason I posted this is because I found out many years ago, I could only go up in DW
at 3lbs per 2 weeks of shooting 3 times a day for at least 15 to 50 shots each time.

If I pushed it and jumped to 4 or 5 lbs of an increase my neck or back muscles ached for
several days after. 3lb increase was the limit within 2 weeks.

Once I realized this I had no problem to "Turn a limb bolt" to fix the problem.
I don't understand why so many people can't seem to figure this out today.

Had to edit this because it is really important to take spec. measurements and put pencil
marks on the equipment BEFORE you change ANYTHING so as you put them back
to where they were before you tinker

You may want to put them back.
Maybe not.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 02-18-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:00 PM

I like that word tinker, reminds me of toys and sandboxes and such.

Can't see any problem with changing things if I know I can get it back to
where it was.

Just have to record the specs. as it is before I start.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:33 AM

I am confused to what you are going for here. I think you are highlighting that everyone has an excuse when it comes to missing animals or complaining that they are having problems with their bow/arrow combination. I agree that people should be shooting a bow that is within their capabilities and their total setup should be reflected in their equipment (bow, draw length, draw weight, rest, arrow stiffness etc). After that there can be legitimate reasons why they are having arrow flight issues and they could be from fine tuning to equipment failure.

As for missing animals at the moment of truth, now those excuses I take with a grain of salt! LOL

Now do people shoot a bow that is slightly beyond their capabilities (draw weight and length)?? I absolutely agree with you. Most would shoot better if they shortened their drawlength and took a few pounds off the draw weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonescreek View Post
This is kind of a on the lighter side post but does appear to apply down here
in the states.

Turn down phobiea is a term that came to mind because I've seen more posts about
poor arrow flight due to everything under the sun including overdraw, underdraw,
stiff spine, weak spine, bad form, out of spec. bows, wrong bow mfg. wrong arrow mfg,
wrong colors on your cresting, nocks unindexed, not enough shooting, too much shooting,
stab is missing, stab is too short, stab is too long or too left or right.

For some reason few people today can get up the muster to do a very simple thing
that will cost no money and simply try to turn down the DW maybe 3 lbs to see if that
makes a diff.

It can be done, it don't cost any paysos and takes little time, but nobody seems to want
to consider it.

Why is that ?

The reason I posted this is because I found out many years ago, I could only go up in DW
at 3lbs per 2 weeks of shooting 3 times a day for at least 15 to 50 shots each time.

If I pushed it and jumped to 4 or 5 lbs of an increase my neck or back muscles ached for
several days after. 3lb increase was the limit within 2 weeks.

Once I realized this I had no problem to "Turn a limb bolt" to fix the problem.
I don't understand why so many people can't seem to figure this out today.

Had to edit this because it is really important to take spec. measurements and put pencil
marks on the equipment BEFORE you change ANYTHING so as you put them back
to where they were before you tinker

You may want to put them back.
Maybe not.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:15 PM

Sorry about the confusion, I didn't mean to sound like I was pointing out excuses at all,
but rather a simple thing most anyone (including myself) can do with a little time and at
no cost.

Sometimes we all forget these things, is I guess what I was really trying to say.
Just got rambling on a bit.

There is a lot involved in tuning a bow and archery and all the new stuff out there today.
It's easy to get buried in the details trying to get everything right then only to find out
later you overlooked a simple thing that could have saved a lot of time and money.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 02-24-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:24 PM

Dropping your draw weight won't fix anything if your bow is out of time or spec. tune.

I do agree that it can solve a significant number of problems related to poor form and shot execution.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:51 PM

Totally agree 338Bluff.

It can also help in figuring out paper tuning and arrow spine issues as well as form or shot
execution.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:02 PM

Totally agree 338Bluff.

It can also help in figuring out paper tuning and arrow spine issues as well as form or shot
execution.