Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-20-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Well thanks for all the help and advice still confused as the census was a little on both sides.

Any thoughts on the rifle choice

Thanks
Mike
Depends on how much you wanting to pay. You can get Weatherby Vanguards for as little as $400. Sportsmans Den in Red Deer had a Browning Mountain Ti in 270 and 7mm WSM. They were running around $1600. Nice rifles! at less than 6 pounds wouldn't be that bad to carry all day, and with that Dura-Touch finish you shouldn't have to worry bout the stock lookin like crap after a couple seasons.

But it all comes down to what fits you. I don't care what anyone says about any firearm. Find something that shoulders well, points well, carrys well for YOU. Just cause it fits them doesnt mean it will fit you, and if it doesn't fit you well you won't want to shoot it and you just blew your $$.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Take a look at the Nosler data(6th edition),the 300WM produces about 80fps more velocity with 180gr bullets,than the 300WSM,despite the 300WM barrel being 2" shorter.With equal length barrels,the advantage for the 300WM would increase.For some reason they used a 24" barrel on the 300WM,and a 26" barrel for the 300WSM.
Elk I am sure your data is as you say...
Says here 300 WSM uses less powder that 300 win for the practically same velocity.
http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=30cal&s=349

300 Win Short Magnum
180gr Ballistic Tip®, AccuBond® & Partition®

Powder: IMR4350
Charge Weight (in grains) Muzzle Velocity (fps) Load Density
65.0 3024 fps 92%

300 Winchester
180gr Ballistic Tip®, AccuBond® & Partition®

Powder: IMR4350
Charge Weight (in grains) Muzzle Velocity (fps) Load Density
70.0* 3130 fps 91%
Old 02-21-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Elk I am sure your data is as you say...
Says here 300 WSM uses less powder that 300 win for the practically same velocity.
The Nosler manual has many more loads listed than the Nosler site,and it shows the barrel lengths used.Given equal barrel lengths,the 300WM does produce over 100fps more than the 300WSM,but yes,it does use more powder to obtain that velocity.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:42 AM

Default Good Article About This

The one perhaps significant difference is in long range accuracy due to the impressive BC of the 7mm wsm. For this reason, benchresters have been lauding the virtues of the 7mm wsm; its ability to cope with wind give it a notable advantage over the .270 wsm, from what I have read. Hunters don't typically need that kind of consistent accuracy, but why not have at your disposal every advantage if it is available to you? Someone above mentioned that of the three wsms, the 7mm is the best of the bunch. Accuracy wise, this seems to be the case, and since shot placement is more important in hunting than energy, the hunter seeking to obtain the best cartridge for deer, elk and moose may actually be at a slight advantage if he/she was to go with the 7mm wsm vs. the .270 wsm or .300wsm. Is the advantage a significant advantage? No. Is there a slight advantage if shot placement is more important than energy? Yes, because the 7mm wsm's ballistics at long range are slightly better than the .270wsm and better than all but the quite heavy .300 wsms (e.g., 210 grains). Hunters don't always choose a cartridge just because it is ballistically the best. Availability of factory loads certainly affects choices. Hunting where encounters with Grizzlies are likely may mean someone will opt for the heavier choices available in the .300 wsm. But if a choice is being made chiefly on an accuracy basis, with energy being the next important issue, the 7mm wsm would typically win out over the .270, the .270 wsm, the 7mm rem mag, the .300 win mag, and the .300 wsm. See 6mmbr.com and read the article "7mm Cartridge Guide."
Old 11-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHAY View Post
I bought the T3 composite/stainless in the 270 WSM. Couldnt agree more about the feel of the gun and the benefit of the short action. I had never hunted with a bolt before this gun and was worried about working the action quickly... last fall I was hunting whitetail in Ontario and got a shot at an 8 pnt buck opening morning. First shot caught some brush and missed... buck took off running, but was able to easily cycle and dropped the deer within 20 yards of the first shot...

hunting buddies didnt think it was me shooting b/c it sounded like a semi...

great gun! definitely a WSM and a T3 fan !

If you do much travelling and hunting you might want to go with the 270wsm... might be hard to find 7mm wsm shells in the middle of nowhere, if the airline happens to loose your bag that has your ammo in it :S
I thought Tikka's were all built on long actions?