Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-10-2012, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I actually prefer cross sticks , but do have a couple of the larger Harris 'pods.
Cat
Why do you prefer cross sticks over bipods especially for a coyote rig?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:26 PM

I'm from Québec . This is my first post , it's almost a test !
The gun is a 308 win . Remington 700 Varmint .
The scope an old bushnell 4000 6 X 24 , 40 mm
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-10-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
Why do you prefer cross sticks over bipods especially for a coyote rig?
With the sticks I tend to sit, and I can follolw a coyote better as it moves tha i can wit a bipod.
Cat
Old 01-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
With the sticks I tend to sit, and I can follolw a coyote better as it moves tha i can wit a bipod.
Cat
I see. For me, a proper length bipod allows you to either sit or go prone depnding on the shot or stand. And frees up your off hand for calling or ranging. But either would be better than nothing. Whatever youre used to i guess.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I see. For me, a proper length bipod allows you to either sit or go prone depnding on the shot or stand. And frees up your off hand for calling or ranging. But either would be better than nothing. Whatever youre used to i guess.
I tried them several times in the past, and always got mess up when coyotes were coming in and moving laterally left or right because the bipod would get stuck in the snow.
With a set of unfastened sticks I can drive them into the snow and rest the gun on them call, or rest the gun on them when working over a static bait, but still move the gun as the dog moves.

The only time i have had any luck at all with bipods was with standing shots in open country, and I have only had a few over the yeras.
Most of the time i prefer to use sticks for this reason.
Cat
Old 01-10-2012, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
I tried them several times in the past, and always got mess up when coyotes were coming in and moving laterally left or right because the bipod would get stuck in the snow.
With a set of unfastened sticks I can drive them into the snow and rest the gun on them call, or rest the gun on them when working over a static bait, but still move the gun as the dog moves.

The only time i have had any luck at all with bipods was with standing shots in open country, and I have only had a few over the yeras.
Most of the time i prefer to use sticks for this reason.
Cat
For me, I would shoot a coyote long before he got close enough and starting going sideways. Sideways for me generally means he's getting ready to run and is even a greater risk when you let them get too close.

150 yrds, prone, bipod down, bark them to a stop and shoot. Mind you this is more suited to open country and not bush. imo of course.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
For me, I would shoot a coyote long before he got close enough and starting going sideways. Sideways for me generally means he's getting ready to run and is even a greater risk when you let them get too close.

150 yrds, prone, bipod down, bark them to a stop and shoot. Mind you this is more suited to open country and not bush. imo of course.
I hunt farms mostly down south , and normally when I bait 200 it is yards away
Anything that ever got shot inside 150 has almost always been domne without sticks , but kneeking.
cat
Old 01-10-2012, 08:28 PM

I have 2 Harris bi-pods and they don't work well for me at all. The heights are never "just right" and sometimes the ground isn't level. I find when an animal is moving in towards you, especially from either side that the bi-pod is just a nuisance and it becomes impossible to follow the animal in the scope. Once I tried the sticks, I would never go back.

Craig
Old 01-10-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat84 View Post

Here is the start of mine. A blueprinted Remington 700 and 1-12 twist Gaillard 6mm barrel, V-bull DBM, waiting on the barrel.
Very nice stock! looks kinda like mine well at least its an HTG What color ratio is your stock if you don't mind me askin. I am using this rig for yotes this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg coyoterig.jpg (63.1 KB, 25 views)