Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 12:37 AM

Yup. And I've been exchanging letters with Toews on that for months and getting "Nannu, nannu" answers. I'm going to get to the bottom of it and if the bottom is as stinky as I think, I'm going to write more letters.

It boggles my mind that so many people think it's ok for a national police force to make up criminal law. Seems to me that sort of thing can fairly be called a 'Police State' action if you step back from emotions and Canadian myths.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:23 AM

17. Subject to sections 19 and 20, a prohibited firearm or restricted firearm, the holder of the registration certificate for which is an individual, may be possessed only at the dwelling-house of the individual, as recorded in the Canadian Firearms Registry, or at a place authorized by a chief firearms officer.
1995, c. 39, s. 17; 2003, c. 8, s. 15.

Has anyone ever tried getting their home quarter authorized by the CFO?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
In a free and democratic society, which this is, I can do whatever the he!! I want unless - and only unless - some law says I can't. You think we can only do things which we are expressly permitted to do. There's names for countries like that and governments like that. "Canada" or "Alberta" is not among them.
Not related to the discussion but what gives you the idea that we live in a 'Free and Democratic society'
Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki610 View Post
Has anyone ever tried getting their home quarter authorized by the CFO?
I met a guy who tried and was refused. But that's no reason for you not to try. Maybe we can wear 'em down. That's how the Gun Zombies do it.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Not related to the discussion but what gives you the idea that we live in a 'Free and Democratic society'
Because the price has been paid.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:46 PM

^ now there's a thought provoking reply
Old 01-08-2012, 01:13 PM

Target Shooting Practice and Competition

To be authorized to have restricted firearms for target shooting purposes, you must provide proof that you practice or compete at an approved shooting club or range.

For more information about approved shooting clubs and ranges, contact your provincial CFO by calling 1 800 731-4000 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1 800 731-4000

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is right off the RCMP web page. Your private property would have to be approved as a shooting club or range before you could shoot a hand gun or even be authorized to have a restricted firearm. I believe the insurance you would need to carry to shoot a hand gun in your back yard (private property) would be outrageous. To me its pretty clear when I read this.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:26 PM

And now we're all the way back to the part about who makes laws in this country and who doesn't.

My head hurts.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Because the price has been paid.
Sadly, we often don't get what is paid for.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:52 PM

I only have an iPhone to post with now, but when I get back to my laptop, I will post the definition of a "dwelling-house" to show where I got my information from, Rocky7. This is according to the criminal code of Canada, not my opinion. My opinion is a totally different thing, and I really wish I could legally shoot my handguns according to it.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Banned

Are there conditions attached to the licence itself that restrict where you can shoot a restricted firearm? If not, I don't think there is legislation prohibiting a person from discharging a restricted firearm from within a residence (unless it contravenes some other rule that applies to all firearms).
Old 01-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Sadly, we often don't get what is paid for.
Some would say the main reason for that is because we don't appreciate and stand up for what has been paid for by others.

The loss of our freedom is never more than a generation away. I think R.R. said that, not sure and it doesn't matter. It's true. We ignore that historical fact at our peril and our children's peril.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I only have an iPhone to post with now, but when I get back to my laptop, I will post the definition of a "dwelling-house" to show where I got my information from, Rocky7.
Please do. I'll watch for it, thx.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:23 PM

Default 50 cal

Okay RMAN your missing the point of what I said I wasn't trying to miss inform anyone pull your pantys out of your butt the point I was making is that you could buy one of the highest power rifles that are handheld in the world with no problems but I can't shoot gophers with a small cal pistol because it is illegal. Don't you have a bridge to crawl back under
Old 01-08-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Some would say the main reason for that is because we don't appreciate and stand up for what has been paid for by others.

The loss of our freedom is never more than a generation away. I think R.R. said that, not sure and it doesn't matter. It's true. We ignore that historical fact at our peril and our children's peril.
Exactly.

It's like getting a gift card for $30 and they only honour it for $29

Some will whine a bit, but quickly write it off since they got the gift card for "nothing"

Got it for nothing. Hmmmm. Sadly, that is how some people view our country.

They are too far removed from the price paid.

Im a big proponent of showing WWI and II documentaries in schools. Teach these kids who and what happened and why we honour those on November 11.

Teach them that we had enemies, that they killed millions, so we went and killed them and kept the fight THERE instead of HERE.

Teach kids to be thankful. They aren't getting that.

So when they see someone messing up our country, they are more apt to step on the offenders guts rather than just chalking it up to "whatever".....
Old 01-08-2012, 04:47 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Exactly.

It's like getting a gift card for $30 and they only honour it for $29

Some will whine a bit, but quickly write it off since they got the gift card for "nothing"

Got it for nothing. Hmmmm. Sadly, that is how some people view our country.

They are too far removed from the price paid.

Im a big proponent of showing WWI and II documentaries in schools. Teach these kids who and what happened and why we honour those on November 11.

Teach them that we had enemies, that they killed millions, so we went and killed them and kept the fight THERE instead of HERE.

Teach kids to be thankful. They aren't getting that.

So when they see someone messing up our country, they are more apt to step on the offenders guts rather than just chalking it up to "whatever".....
Well said
Old 01-08-2012, 05:01 PM

Unhappy

To take this post even further afield, to me, the saddest thing is that so few Canadians want real freedom. The majority of the Canadian population wants to be ruled and are willing to give up significant rights and freedoms for the sake of "perceived" safety and security. Work took me to Texas 17 years ago and at first I was shocked by the attitudes of people down here. They want freedom and are willing to get vocal/active about it at the drop of a hat. I love Canada, but I don't believe that the Canadian people are a freedom loving people -- as a society we Canadians seem to value security over individual liberty. My father complains about the bad governments in Ottawa over the past 30 years, but in reality, our members of parliament have given the majority of Canadians exacty what they want.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:17 PM

Just curious does anyone know the exact reprecussions for being caught discharging a restricted weapon somewhere other than a range? Say you were in the middle of nowhere or on private property and were using the firearm in a safe manner and for whatever reason got caught. (say the guys at the beginning of this post, they were apperently polite and such, im assuming shooting safley) Jail time? Fines? License and guns seized? Banned from firearm ownership? Slap on the wrist or warning?
Old 01-08-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbc_anderson View Post
To take this post even further afield, to me, the saddest thing is that so few Canadians want real freedom. The majority of the Canadian population wants to be ruled and are willing to give up significant rights and freedoms for the sake of "perceived" safety and security. Work took me to Texas 17 years ago and at first I was shocked by the attitudes of people down here. They want freedom and are willing to get vocal/active about it at the drop of a hat. I love Canada, but I don't believe that the Canadian people are a freedom loving people -- as a society we Canadians seem to value security over individual liberty. My father complains about the bad governments in Ottawa over the past 30 years, but in reality, our members of parliament have given the majority of Canadians exacty what they want.
Yes, a lot of people talk up freedom but it scares them and when push comes to shove, they don't want to take it and certainly won't fight for it. Freedom necessarily comes with some chaos and unpredictability. It also comes with responsibility for decisions we make. It's easier to live with rules for everything. One day, you wake and realize there are names for places with rules for everything; names like "prison". And then, if we're lucky, more people start looking around and saying "How'd we get here? I didn't ask for this!" I hope we're somewhere around that place now, I truly do.

A lot of people want something like the big rocks at Stonehenge to tell them what to do and look after them; just not something so unfashionable as big, rough hewn rocks.

Gun control is not about guns - not really. But it is real, real important - it's the tip of the Statist spear.

Which is why I won't give an inch. Hence, this thread.....which, btw, is awaiting further comment/instruction.

Last edited by Rocky7; 01-08-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:37 PM

Here you are, Rocky, taken from here ;http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/page-1.html

Quote:
“dwelling-house” means the whole or any part of a building or structure that is kept or occupied as a permanent or temporary residence, and includes

(a) a building within the curtilage of a dwelling-house that is connected to it by a doorway or by a covered and enclosed passage-way, and

(b) a unit that is designed to be mobile and to be used as a permanent or temporary residence and that is being used as such a residence;
After reading it again, you may be correct on the deck thing. I must have read too deep into the bolded part and skipped the first couple of lines. That being said, i also realised those law classes were 10 years ago, and i haven't taken any refreshers since. Good to know.

How fun would it be to build a deck large enough to set up an ipsc course on?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:59 PM

“dwelling-house” means the whole or any part of a building or structure that is kept or occupied as a permanent or temporary residence, and includes

(a) a building within the curtilage of a dwelling-house that is connected to it by a doorway or by a covered and enclosed passage-way, and

(b) a unit that is designed to be mobile and to be used as a permanent or temporary residence and that is being used as such a residence;

Are we agreed that a "dwelling house" in the Criminal Code encompasses any part of the "structure" I live in?

I rest my case, counsel.

I'm with you on the big deck idea but having a wee problem imagining it - although I can certainly imagine the fun.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:18 PM

I have no problem imagining it, but I have built more than a few decks. You would just have to explain the big berm at the end of the deck every time you hosted a BBQ
Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 PM

For IPSC the berm would have to be on 3 sides. Dig a ditch to build the berms, add water, and explain it as a moat for your castle.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:27 PM

Don't you just love laws with words like "curtilage" in them? wtf
Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
I have no problem imagining it, but I have built more than a few decks. You would just have to explain the big berm at the end of the deck every time you hosted a BBQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
For IPSC the berm would have to be on 3 sides. Dig a ditch to build the berms, add water, and explain it as a moat for your castle.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:27 PM

My deck has a nice wood pile in front of it and 2km between neighbors!!!!! not that I would ever consider shooting one of my evil restricted weapons off of it. LOL
Old 01-09-2012, 10:29 PM

For the OP, where they revolvers? Perhaps you stumbled upon people shooting antiques.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Yes it is.....as I pick up spent brass off my back deck! and fire up the BBQ off that same deck. Boy do I love to live where I live.
x2
Old 01-10-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUK SOO KOW View Post
Just curious does anyone know the exact reprecussions for being caught discharging a restricted weapon somewhere other than a range? Say you were in the middle of nowhere or on private property and were using the firearm in a safe manner and for whatever reason got caught. (say the guys at the beginning of this post, they were apperently polite and such, im assuming shooting safley) Jail time? Fines? License and guns seized? Banned from firearm ownership? Slap on the wrist or warning?
I wonder the same thing. Although the "legeslation" in question in this thread has never stopped a few personal aquantances (who shall remain nameless) from shooting a pistol wherever they wanted (safe of course), I always wondered what has happened to people who have been caught. My neighbour who was a retired Police officer from a big city used to shoot porcupines on his land with his Glock.

Illegal? Maybe..... Awesome? Most Definately.

If I had ever been there with him at the time I would have done it in a heartbeat knowing full well it was illegal.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 PM

I can shoot gophers all day with a 338LM across my neighbors field with his blessing, but I cannot use a .22 pistol for close range vermin control.. it does not make sense.
Closed Thread