Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-14-2012, 09:27 PM

Default Getting a Custom Hunting Rifle Built

I have never had a custom rifle built before. For those that have had one built before, what are the must haves and what should one look out for or ask for? Secondly who would you get to build it? Being located in Calgary it would be nice to have it built close so one could see it progress / some of the processes involved.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Banned

There is a guy by rocky Mountian house who is also a sponser on this forum heard he is good
Old 07-14-2012, 09:50 PM

A winchester action with a kreiger barrel and a mcmillen edge stock is a fairly good start.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
A winchester action with a kreiger barrel and a mcmillen edge stock is a fairly good start.
It sure is!

-Billy Molls
Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
It sure is!
A good start for a boat anchor
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 07-15-2012, 01:54 AM

for me, the most important thing in a custom build, is the fit of the stock to your physionomy
most factory rifles shoot more than enough for hunting but a stock that fits you good makes a difference
Old 07-15-2012, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dero338 View Post
for me, the most important thing in a custom build, is the fit of the stock to your physionomy
most factory rifles shoot more than enough for hunting but a stock that fits you good makes a difference
Agreed
Old 07-15-2012, 06:32 AM

The must haves are totally up to you. Thats what makes a custom so nice. My must haves were NECG front banded sight and a ghost ring rear built into a base. Another must have was a recoil lug on the barrel and gunsmiths made it integral. Length of barrel is totally up to you. Personal preference and hunting style or just what looks right to you. Action choice. What you have on hand. What you think is best. What others say is best.

Every aspect of a custom can be scrutinized by you. Take your time and make exactly what you want.

WOODY
CSSA NFAMember
Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 AM

I would start with a custom action, lots of guys say it's fine to start with a remington 700 and have it trued, but after having gone both routes I would go custom again. Sure the 700 will shoot, but it will always be just a 700.

As for a smith, I would pick the smith by what he specilizes in. For example ATRS is fine for a tactical build, but not the best choice for a 5 pound sheep rifle.

What are you going to use the rifle for?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:49 AM

It depends on your definition of custom... there seems to be lots of people who can screw a barrel onto a 700 action and fit a plastic stock but that's not my idea of custom.

My first choice would always be a mauser 98, followed by a pre '64 M70. Then you have to decide on a calibre. Then you go shopping for wood. There are a million little details to decide on... safeties if it's a mauser, bottommetal, barrel contour and length, swivel studs, iron sights or bare naked barrel, QD scope mounts if you're using irons, and it just goes on...

Finally the worst part is finding a smith who shares your vision. Nothing worse than spending a pile of money to get a rifle built the way HE likes it. I also hate going to the gunsmith and getting an argument about every nit-picking little detail.

Unfortunately I don't have anyone I can recommend at the moment... I have the guy I have to arue with, and another I see eye-to-eye with, but is semi-retired and not taking on any more big jobs.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:52 AM

The outlook is definitely bleak for finding suitable builders.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-15-2012, 07:59 AM
sheephunter

Picked up my new 338 this weekend. To me it was the perfect custom to suit my needs. That's the best advice in this thread so far. Decide what you want and need from the rifle before thinking about anything else. I needed a lightweight 338 for the mountains that was still shootable and that's what I got. Plus it's got a cool paint job.....lol
Old 07-15-2012, 08:07 AM

thats a big question sort of,is it for target work or hunting/hiking? which calibre were you thinking? what kind of hunting?mountain sheep,moose,coyotes,gophers etc?

custom gunworx can get you a barrell made too for $400 bux,calibres are limited i think though,theres a long wait though.maybe better to wait for winter time. anyhow heres bobs number call him after 3 i think on weekdays.403 845 8712.

hes all about precision rifles so he can help you out with all those questions.hes located a little north of leslieville which is a litttle to the east of rocky mountain house. i dont realy know of anyone closer to calgary for you.

he put in a ted gaillaird barrell for me on my 308 and tuned it all up,bolt and re glass bedded ,swapped out firing pins,cera kote etc etc and now she does .378" -.4" groups at 200 yards if i do my part.with handloads.im very happy with it,and now he is putting togetther a 338 edge for me to reach out to a mile or more.

Last edited by wolf308; 07-15-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:07 AM

Default custom gun

As LongBomber states, you can start with a Rem 700 action and get it trued, but its a 700 action. There is a noticeable difference with between a custom action and a 700 action. I've gone the 700 route on numerous builds and have them trued, but the money you spend truing a 700 action is close to what you'll pay for a custom action. I would go with a custom action next time, Defiance?. Get a good quality barrel, Kreiger are top notch and quality rifle stock, Mcmillan. You can decide on a Jewel, Shilen trigger.

Good gunsmiths are very busy people so don't expect to follow its progress too closely and be involved in each decision is unlikely, it's basically pick a gunsmith, provide the parts or let them know what you want and expect to wait anywhere from 4-8 months before you ever see your custom rifle. At the end, expect to pay a minimum of $2500 to $4000 for your custom rifle.

Now a days, I've seen some factory rifles shoot as well as my custom rifle at fraction of the cost so whatever your purpose is, you may just want to buy a quality factory rifle and have a gunsmith give it a "tune up". There seems to be alot of quality gunsmiths in Western Canada that you can search out in other forums and make your own opinion by talking to them. It seems like one person may say this smith is good while another may disagree so its who you feel comfortable with. Good Luck!
Old 07-15-2012, 08:15 AM

Good gunsmiths are very busy people so don't expect to follow its progress too closely and be involved in each decision is unlikely, it's basically pick a gunsmith, provide the parts or let them know what you want and expect to wait anywhere from 4-8 months before you ever see your custom rifle. At the end, expect to pay a minimum of $2500 to $4000 for your custom rifle.

x2 ,also what i wanted to say.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:10 AM

I find it saves time if I personally supply all the parts ... otherwise, all your "custom" stuff could be sitting in the shop waiting 4 months for the barrel to show up. The gunsmith needs only your action, recoil lug, barrel, and reamer (reamer only if you are designing chamber specs). One thing not yet mentioned is the chamber specs, which is something you may want to look at to insure the bullet you shoot will fit into your magazine without being seated too far out from the lands).
Here is my next "sporter" build (just waiting for the barrel). Stiller Predator action, Jewell trigger, Holland recoil lug, HS precision bottom metal and magazine, Krieger #3 chrome moly barrel, B & C Medalist stock. In my case, I have everything but the barrel on stuff I built before, which means my new custom caliber will cost about $800.00 ($500 for barrel and $300 for smith work). If starting from scratch, this package would come in about $3400.00. For a "one build" guy, that is pricey when compared with purchasing a factory Cooper, HS Precision .... but once you start to add barrels..the barrel/work is your only cost.
With a package like I have described, you can cut costs dramatically (about $500) by using Remington bottom metal, recoil lug, and tuned Rem trigger.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:14 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Picked up my new 338 this weekend. To me it was the perfect custom to suit my needs. That's the best advice in this thread so far. Decide what you want and need from the rifle before thinking about anything else. I needed a lightweight 338 for the mountains that was still shootable and that's what I got. Plus it's got a cool paint job.....lol
Pics or it didn't happen.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-16-2012, 08:58 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Pics or it didn't happen.
LOL...here you go

Old 07-16-2012, 09:34 AM

I actually held that gun yesterday, pretty nice rig, even if it does have that cartridge ejection flippy thing on the side of it!
Cat
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM

Built a semi-custom-new barrel into a new caliber and other work on a Sako m75 Greywolf rifle.

I live in northern Alberta so I had Corlanes / Rocky Mountain Rifles in Dawson Creek do mine. There is a couple good gunsmiths down in your area. Guys here will chip in with their comments.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:07 PM

Default looks good!

Sheep hunter,
That rifle looks really good. You have some nice looking rigs i've seen you post on here. Is that a defiance action?

Hmm... someday!

Tone
Old 07-16-2012, 05:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
Sheep hunter,
That rifle looks really good. You have some nice looking rigs i've seen you post on here. Is that a defiance action?

Hmm... someday!

Tone
Thanks! Yes it is a Defiance.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:26 PM

I just Cant believe you'd sell your beautiful CRF kimber Montana, only to replace it with a PUSH FEEDER!!!! Just kidding... Beautiful looking rifle for sure. I'm sure it will extract just fine without the claw....
Mike
Old 07-17-2012, 02:12 PM

Nice rifle Sheephunter.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Looks real nice. Gives a guy rifle envy

Last edited by triguy; 07-17-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 PM
sheephunter

Finally got some eyes on it.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Finally got some eyes on it.

Is that a tactical style bolt knob? If so do you like it?
Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
Is that a tactical style bolt knob? If so do you like it?
Ya, I think that's what they call it. Seems to work fine for me.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:59 PM

Nice looking rifle Sheep!
Old 07-17-2012, 11:14 PM

Default Are those talley rings

Sheephunter are those talley rings on your new rifle? If so are they mediums on a 40mm scope? Beautiful rifle by the way!