Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-18-2012, 06:26 AM
Banned

Why is the back of the scope as big as the front? Can't stand that oh well price was right I bet...
Old 07-18-2012, 07:44 AM
Banned

check factory made rifles first, chances are the qualities your looking for in a rifle already in production, if just to have custom then who's to stop you but usually one would have lots of experience already and understand very specifically what they want from a custom rifle....don't waste your time or money if you are not there yet imo

sheep, looks like your going to get scoped to me
Old 07-18-2012, 07:51 AM

That mount/scope setup is a bit of a dogs breakfast that's for sure. I'm a bit mystified that RMR and Defiance can't get those Talley rings to sit flush with the ejection port.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2012, 08:16 AM
Precisionshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakoman View Post
I have never had a custom rifle built before. For those that have had one built before, what are the must haves and what should one look out for or ask for? Secondly who would you get to build it? Being located in Calgary it would be nice to have it built close so one could see it progress / some of the processes involved.
Talk to Dick's custom rifles in Calgary. Don't know anyone else in Calgary I would take a rifle to seeing what I have seen.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:01 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
That mount/scope setup is a bit of a dogs breakfast that's for sure. I'm a bit mystified that RMR and Defiance can't get those Talley rings to sit flush with the ejection port.
The mounts don't hang over the ejection port...they sit sit perfectly flush.

Last edited by sheephunter; 07-18-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:06 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
sheep, looks like your going to get scoped to me
With a constant eye relief of close to 4" I doubt it....lol
Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
The mounts don't hang over the ejection port...they sit sit perfectly flush.
Are you blind?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2012, 01:34 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Are you blind?
Nope, I see just fine. I am wordering about you though...lol
Old 07-18-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Nope, I see just fine. I am wordering about you though...lol
Those are extension bases that hang over the ejection port and someone has taken a mill to them as a bandaid solution. Those mounts hang over the ejection port. Period.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2012, 01:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Those are extension bases that hang over the ejection port and someone has taken a mill to them as a bandaid solution. Those mounts hang over the ejection port. Period.
Yes, they were milled so they don't hang over the ejection port. I quite like the way they look and function. For those that don't there are lots of other ring options I suppose. I've just been very pleased with Talleys and don't really see a reason to use anything else. They don't lose zero when exposed to some heavy use and abuse...that's the part that really matters to me. Perhaps I don't worry enough about asthetics and too much about function. The mounts don't hang over the ejection port on this rifle....period!
Old 07-18-2012, 04:39 PM

This is a picture of a defiance action with Talley mounts that DO NOT overhang the ejection port. Do you spot the difference? I certainly hope so.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Yes, they were milled so they don't hang over the ejection port. I quite like the way they look and function. For those that don't there are lots of other ring options I suppose. I've just been very pleased with Talleys and don't really see a reason to use anything else. They don't lose zero when exposed to some heavy use and abuse...that's the part that really matters to me. Perhaps I don't worry enough about asthetics and too much about function. The mounts don't hang over the ejection port on this rifle....period!
For function you are completely in left field on this one. Sorry.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM
sheephunter

Lol. If nothng else you always make me laugh chuck.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:37 PM

Maybe you can tell us how less than maximized ring spacing and mounts that over hang the ejection port are more functional. Speaking of laugh.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2012, 06:20 PM

i can see from the picture without the ring overhang the scope would mount only in 1 position. the overhanging rear ring gives a bit of room to move the scope forward. i have the opposite problem with eye relief. the extention weaver rins overhang the front of my weatherby action i hate these rings but since the bases are different thicknesses front and back and the same height on top i can move the extention from back to front which i have done and it doesnt interfere either way. the weaver extension doesnt look as clumsy as the tally and the tally is only good for 1 direction but i can see why it is there about the rear scope bell as big as the front its a european scope i have a leica 42 mm scope the back lense is as big as the front i dont know why but its a good scope the scope in the picture looks fine to me
Old 07-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Gotta go with the Chuckster on this one. That is one goofy looking set up.

R.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:26 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman View Post
Gotta go with the Chuckster on this one. That is one goofy looking set up.

R.
lol it sure could be in the eyes of some. I just know it works. I fly tens of thousands of miles with my rifles each year. They are thrown around by baggage handlers on a dozen or more flights. They are stuffed in ill-fitting scabbards. Horses have fallen on them. they are strapped to packs and bounced off rocks. Thrown in boats and bouncing Argos and ind the back of trucks and hundreds of rounds are put through them and I'venever had a rifle lose zero. To me they look pretty nice.... One could even say functional. I really don't worry too much about looks....I worry about accuracy and durability. The set up provides that.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:55 PM

But so would one that was done right. No?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2012, 08:57 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
But so would one that was done right. No?
I think the fact that it works means it was done right. No doubt it may work other ways too. There's no real reason to try.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:59 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
This is a picture of a defiance action with Talley mounts that DO NOT overhang the ejection port. Do you spot the difference? I certainly hope so.

That wouldn't work too well with that scope on a long action though would it?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
That wouldn't work too well with that scope on a long action though would it?
Why not? You want to see long ring spacing look at this picture. You will not see rings much farther apart than these.

Your rifle is custom, built for you and your scope. The tube on your scope does not require an extension base.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Why not? You want to see long ring spacing look at this picture. You will not see rings much farther apart than these.

Your rifle is custom, built for you and your scope. The tube on your scope does not require an extension base.

Those don't look like Talleys on a Defiance to me. That is what we were talking about isn't it?

I prefer a little more room for eye relief adjustment personally but as long as it works for you.

I am flattered that you are so concerned about my rifle being perfect for me though.

Actually I was going to use a different scope and still may end up doing so, so no, the rifle wasn't built for the scope.

Last edited by sheephunter; 07-18-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Those don't look like Talleys on a Defiance to me. That is what we were talking about isn't it?

I prefer a little more room for eye relief adjustment personally but as long as it works for you.

I am flattered that you are so concerned about my rifle being perfect for me though.

Actually I was going to use a different scope and still may end up doing so, so no, the rifle wasn't built for the scope.
You are the expert.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2012, 09:39 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
You are the expert.
Not really, I just know what personally works for me. I'm sure your choices work for you. The world is like that sometimes....people are different. Not sure why that frightens some people so much.

So I'm guessing that set up with the Talleys and the Defiance you showed wouldn't work with that scope on a long action? Good to keep things in context
Old 07-18-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:
So I'm guessing that set up with the Talleys and the Defiance you showed wouldn't work with that scope on a long action? Good to keep things in context
To keep it in context it would work with your scope and yes it actually would work with that scope. But you of course knew that already I'm sure.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-18-2012, 09:54 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
To keep it in context it would work with your scope and yes it actually would work with that scope. But you of course knew that already I'm sure.
Truthfully I don't think it would but I guess it's speculation on both our parts.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Truthfully I don't think it would but I guess it's speculation on both our parts.
No, it's simple math.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-19-2012, 06:27 AM

The reason the rings don't hang over on Chucks pic is because that Defiance action has a round bridge and Nesika rings can be used that are shorter. On Sheeps gun it has a Remington bridge so Remington style rings need to be used. With a Defiance action the bridge is shorter just like a Nesika and that is why bases are to long and need to be milled.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snroth View Post
The reason the rings don't hang over on Chucks pic is because that Defiance action has a round bridge and Nesika rings can be used that are shorter. On Sheeps gun it has a Remington bridge so Remington style rings need to be used. With a Defiance action the bridge is shorter just like a Nesika and that is why bases are to long and need to be milled.
While you are right, and it's probably why they should have thought of that.

The point is, with a custom action built for you on a custom rifle built for you why take the one size fits all approach?

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 07-19-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
With a constant eye relief of close to 4" I doubt it....lol
it just looked too far back to me, didn't say anything about eye relief which i'm sure is fine