Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-15-2014, 08:22 PM

Default Huh, well what do ya know, I apparently own an assault weapon

Well for those people who didn't care about the CZ858 being reclassified, your sks is the new super evil gun on the the rcmp radar

A cache containing two assault weapons, drugs and $18,000 in reportedly stolen goods was uncovered by police in a shed during a routine investigation.

Nanaimo RCMP officers made the discovery in the 200-block of Pine Street earlier this week.

Two Soviet-era SKS Tula semi-automatic assault rifles, a scooter valued at $3,000, and an estimated $15,000 worth of bicycles were hidden in the shed, along with a quantity of heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine and marijuana.

Police would not say what led to the find.

But the discovery of two Russian assault weapons is of particular concern, given the potential danger they pose to public safety.

The weapons are capable of rapidly firing up to 10 bullets without reloading.

"If they fall into the wrong hands, now they've got a semi-automatic weapon," said Sgt. Sheryl Armstrong of the Nanaimo RCMP.

"Or if some young child finds them and thinks they're a toy, and there's ammunition, look out."

Guns capable of firing one bullet after another are often used in mass shootings.

"Any time you have something capable of firing more than one bullet (in rapid succession), it's concerning," Armstrong said. "You think about the massacres we've had with AK-47s.

"If you can fire off (multiple) shots just like that, it has the capability of harming more individuals than a single shot." Christopher Durkin, 43, appeared in provincial court Thursday facing weapons, property crime and drug charges. His next court date is set for April 1.

DBellaart@nanaimodailynews.com 250-729-4235
Old 03-15-2014, 08:25 PM

The media machine shifted to the next gear...
Terrible news.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Well for those people who didn't care about the CZ858 being reclassified, your sks is the new super evil gun on the the rcmp radar

A cache containing two assault weapons, drugs and $18,000 in reportedly stolen goods was uncovered by police in a shed during a routine investigation.

Nanaimo RCMP officers made the discovery in the 200-block of Pine Street earlier this week.

Two Soviet-era SKS Tula semi-automatic assault rifles, a scooter valued at $3,000, and an estimated $15,000 worth of bicycles were hidden in the shed, along with a quantity of heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine and marijuana.

But the discovery of two Russian assault weapons is of particular concern, given the potential danger they pose to public safety.

"If they fall into the wrong hands, now they've got a semi-automatic weapon," said Sgt. Sheryl Armstrong of the Nanaimo RCMP.

"Or if some young child finds them and thinks they're a toy, and there's ammunition, look out."

Guns capable of firing one bullet after another are often used in mass shootings.

"Any time you have something capable of firing more than one bullet (in rapid succession), it's concerning," Armstrong said. "You think about the massacres we've had with AK-47s.

"If you can fire off (multiple) shots just like that, it has the capability of harming more individuals than a single shot." Christopher Durkin, 43, appeared in provincial court Thursday facing weapons, property crime and drug charges. His next court date is set for April 1.

Id rather face a druggee with a POS SKS with a full magazine at 50 yards ,,

than a druggee with a double barrel 12 gauge with 2 x SSG's in the tubes !

what a joke, Russian assault weapons,, gimmee a break !
Old 03-15-2014, 08:38 PM

This is getting stupid, an sks is not an assault rifle.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:38 PM
Banned

I'm not surprised.
It was only a matter of time until the SKS got singled out.
Between the guns and archery tools getting negative attention. ...I can only wonder about the direction of the future laws.
It scares me.....a lot!!!!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:44 PM

[QUOTE=leeaspell;2364340]"You think about the massacres we've had with AK-47s.
/QUOTE]

I'm Thinking.
Am I missing something?
Have we had a lot of ak massacres?
Old 03-15-2014, 08:46 PM

[QUOTE=Dewey Cox;2364369]
Quote:
"You think about the massacres we've had with AK-47s.
/QUOTE]

I'm Thinking.
Am I missing something?
Maybe the gangs in BC, but I can't think of any recent ones.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:47 PM

Reclassification here we come.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:48 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Dewey Cox;2364369]
Quote:
"You think about the massacres we've had with AK-47s.
/QUOTE]

I'm Thinking.
Am I missing something?
That's not the point.
The point is.....whatever puts fear into people's minds. And Hollywood and u tube is to blame for a large percentage of negative influence.
And it's no help when people on an outdoors forum bicker either! !!!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Banned

the Ruger Mini 14 was the original token of gun paranoia in Canada ,
now it is military surplus junk , whats next ??
as soon as someone harms another person with a Black and Decker Glue Gun,,
Black and Decker Products will be classed as "assault weapons too" ? Sgt Sheryl "the DitZ" Armstrong heading the movement ! Ban Glue Guns Now !

misinformed cops like this Clueless BimBo from Nanaimo can go to the media with lies and misinformation,,

there is no accountability for outright lying to the public !
Old 03-15-2014, 08:52 PM

Join the NFA.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Look out indeed!

First they would have to figure out how to operate the action, load ammo into the mag, and then into the chamber.

That's assuming they could even lift one up.

Ridiculous!
Old 03-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Join the NFA.
Ha!!!!
I'll bet a lot òf AO members are NFA members.
I'm one of them.
And I don't think they do us much justice.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:00 PM

Well if this assault weapon becomes prohibited just like the rest, it's good to know that the wrong hands won't be getting ahold of them. Just like all the other prohibited things that were in that shed.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:05 PM

I remember reading somewhere, maybe on here, a while back, that at the end of the registry there was roughly 65,000 sks in Canada
Old 03-15-2014, 09:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
I remember reading somewhere, maybe on here, a while back, that at the end of the registry there was roughly 65,000 sks in Canada
They are a very sought after tool.
If we love it....then our government will find a way to tax it or make it illegal.
Popularity is not always a good thing.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned

The original news article is interesting; it’s based on the opinion of a representative of an enforcement agency.

I know it’s biased but not all do.

Point to the groups who do not want individuals to own objects.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:47 PM

Rapidly fire 10 rounds without reloading? Huh, mine only holds 5. Where are these 10 round SKS's this uninformed, stupid, poor excuse of a Canadian is referring to? The only way to make an SKS hold 10 rounds would be to make it a prohibited device, which any law abiding Canadian firearm owner would never do. I wonder if she actually knows what that gun really is, or just was told by her superiors that it needs to be made to sound as scary as possible or all of the puppies and children will die. Sad that the media doesn't even slightly fact check the "news" they report. This is why many people don't believe a word out of the media's mouth.

Added extra emotes for fun

Last edited by 357mag; 03-15-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Accuracy
Old 03-15-2014, 10:23 PM

I think I threw up a little bit reading that.

For fun, I googled some more of her conferences. Fascinating amount of hyperbole and fear mongering.

Nanaimo must be a terrifying place.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:

Next they'll be banning pool cues and baseball bats too!! How ridiculous are these guys? It's as bad as the safety programs on the industrial sites! 1 person does something stupid and it's ruined for us all! Whatever happened to our free country! The sheeple need to wake up, and realize our rights are being written away from us!
Old 03-15-2014, 11:11 PM

Well I guess ill keep my truck keys under lock and key... since you could do a thousand times more damage with a vehicle in 30 seconds then with a sks...
Old 03-15-2014, 11:20 PM
Banned

Default Bob Paulson

Bob is a gaylord
Old 03-15-2014, 11:20 PM

so, what is the next step? 120 years old break action shotgun - assault weapon?????
Old 03-15-2014, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostianych View Post
so, what is the next step? 120 years old break action shotgun - assault weapon?????
Lee Enfields are known as the fastest bolt action ever, and they were used in a war, can you say "assault bolt action", add a scope and you got a bolt action assault sniper rifle capable of firing 10 rounds very fast between reloads, deadly to a kilometer away. Might sound stupid to us, but very believable to a lot of people.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlak View Post
This is getting stupid, an sks is not an assault rifle.
What makes an assault rifle an assault rifle. I have never heard an actual definition.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
What makes an assault rifle an assault rifle. I have never heard an actual definition.
An assault rifle is a selective fire (selective between semi-automatic, fully automatic and/or burst fire) rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.[1] Assault rifles are the standard service rifles in most modern armies. Note the difference between the assault rifle and the battle rifle. Assault rifles use smaller cartridges and are used at closer ranges than battle rifles. The larger sized rifle cartridges used in battle rifles make fully automatic fire more difficult. Fully automatic fire refers to an ability for a rifle to fire continuously while the trigger is pressed and held; "burst-capable" fire refers to an ability of a rifle to fire a small yet fixed multiple number of rounds with but one press of the trigger; in contrast, semi-automatic refers to an ability to fire one round per press of a trigger regardless of how long the trigger is held. The presence of selective fire modes on assault rifles permits more efficient use of rounds to be fired for specific needs, versus having a single mode of operation, such as fully automatic, thereby conserving ammunition while maximizing on-target accuracy and effectiveness.

Examples of assault rifles include the StG 44, AK-47,[2] M16 rifle, INSAS rifle,QBZ-95, FAMAS, Heckler & Koch G36, and Enfield SA80.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Semi-automatic and looking slightly scary is about all there is to it. Sometimes even less than that.

(Edit: leeaspell gave the real definition, mine's the media, anti-gun version)
Old 03-16-2014, 12:12 AM

Makes sense. Thanks guys.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Semi-automatic and looking slightly scary is about all there is to it. Sometimes even less than that.

(Edit: leeaspell gave the real definition, mine's the media, anti-gun version)
Yup, none of which the sks are, except that front sight and gas tube look like an ak. And get this, the sks and ak use the same front sight adjustment tool, better ban it, it has the same front sight
Old 03-16-2014, 12:16 AM

If it assaults the feelings of an anti, it's an assault weapon.