Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-16-2014, 12:44 AM

i wonder if i hit that idiot in the face with a stick if she would write a story about my scary assault stick thats capable of rapidly wacking her face.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Banned

One unknown reporter from one unknown small town newspaper in BC uses the wrong terminology.

So what?

The guy reports news... he isn't expected to be a technical expert on everything that he reports on.

If it bothers folks... send him an email or send a letter to the editorials.

Otherwise I wouldn't worry much... there must be at least a couple hundred thousand SKS's owned out there and to be fair... if they were siezed.... the average quality of what is owned in our cabinets would go up.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:18 AM

You can't fix stupid!

But then again, using the term "assault rifle" sounds much scarier than "semi automatic rifle".
Old 03-16-2014, 08:54 AM

Better sell my sks soon so I can get something for it before I have to turn it in. Actually for the 200 bucks I paid for it. it has paid for itself and owes me nothing. I wonder if the person that stole bikes and sold drugs had a valid PAL?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots270 View Post
Ha!!!!
I'll bet a lot ňf AO members are NFA members.
I'm one of them.
And I don't think they do us much justice.
If not the NFA then whom? As you pointed out in your post #9, bickering on an outdoor forum does us no good.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:53 AM

For a better understanding of what's to come, read this document.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:08 AM

Unhappy Seesh....

The time is upon us.....
Guess I should sell my military chamberings(223 and 308) bolt guns. I mean why does a civilian need with those powerful things
Probably should sell my 30-30 and m92 in 357 cause they hold too many rounds. then i can start buying ruger #1's in non military calibers ....maybe a 45/70 and a 25-06?

Random rant over. Not related to the article just triggered by reading crap that makes no sense...referring to original media report out of bc.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
If not the NFA then whom? As you pointed out in your post #9, bickering on an outdoor forum does us no good.
We must band together as a group.
People as a unified whole can accomplish more.
I'm not convinced that our NFA is pushing hard enough for firearms rights and privileges?
But I may be wrong.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:12 PM

I really find it interesting the reporter and the police were more concerned about two POS guns than all the drugs that were in there too. guns are scarier than drugs!!!! "what if a kid got a hold of those guns" what about the dang drugs!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
The time is upon us.....
Guess I should sell my military chamberings(223 and 308) bolt guns. I mean why does a civilian need with those powerful things
Probably should sell my 30-30 and m92 in 357 cause they hold too many rounds. then i can start buying ruger #1's in non military calibers ....maybe a 45/70 and a 25-06?

Random rant over. Not related to the article just triggered by reading crap that makes no sense...referring to original media report out of bc.
better get accustomed to the 25-06 then , forget the 45/70, it was designed specifically as military caliber !
Old 03-16-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
better get accustomed to the 25-06 then , forget the 45/70, it was designed specifically as military caliber !
But the 25-06 was adapted FROM a military caliber as well and we know that is just as bad.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperMOA View Post
But the 25-06 was adapted FROM a military caliber as well and we know that is just as bad.
Australia outlawed military calibers, now there are countless wildcat versions of .303, 30-06, the Mauser calibers and hundreds of other calibers,,

a .303 case necked down to 7mm or 6.5 or 6mm is really quite improvment over the original .303 Ball 174 grn loadings,,,

haha, politicians and cops,,, ignorance is happiness !
Old 03-16-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Badger View Post
One unknown reporter from one unknown small town newspaper in BC uses the wrong terminology.

So what?

The guy reports news... he isn't expected to be a technical expert on everything that he reports on.

If it bothers folks... send him an email or send a letter to the editorials.

Otherwise I wouldn't worry much... there must be at least a couple hundred thousand SKS's owned out there and to be fair... if they were siezed.... the average quality of what is owned in our cabinets would go up.
It isn't the scribe that got my attention here, he was merely quoting an RCMP Sgt. In light of recent events concerning the RCMP, and law abiding gun owners, it appears that they have put the media spin machine into high gear. Demonize our guns, and marginalize the owners, and the path to civilian disarmament is opened right up.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
What makes an assault rifle an assault rifle. I have never heard an actual definition.
I think Hitler coined the term storm rifle for the stg-44. Guess Assault rifle got evolved from that. It was the first issued automatic rifle firing a intermediate power cartridge. Both were revolutionary. And subsequently influenced the soviet m1943 round and ak. So my belief is if you have a rifle capable of handling full auto firing a centre fire round that's an assault rifle. If it was a full auto 22 lr I would just call it fun.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
What makes an assault rifle an assault rifle. I have never heard an actual definition.
In reality, there is no such thing as an "assualt rifle". The term is a media misnomer derived from "AR" as in AR-15. Of course, "AR" actually stands for ArmaLite (http://www.armalite.com/). It appears the hoplophobes now refer to any semi/full auto rifle with what they refer to as a "military" look about it as such which, of course, is entirely absurd.

Assualt is an act. It is not an inanimate object. Therefore any rifle used to commit an assualt could be refered to as an assault whatever said thing may be (assault pool cue, assault hockey stick, assault vehicle, et al). Nothing is an assault anything until it has been used to commit an assault!

"Sniper Rifle" is yet another ridiculous falacy. Sniping is the act of firing on a target from concealment in a military/police context. Any rifle deployed by such an individual on behalf of their organization hence becomes a "sniper rifle" yet only when it is used by said professional.

What we have here in this article is propaganda from antis, plain and simple. It is a shame to read such things on a fine Outdoors Forum such as this.

There is no need to spread such nonsense about, even if the aim is to make others aware than any firearm could be targeted by the RCMP. I do not think there is a sane; Law-Abiding, Pal-holding Candian Citizen out there who does not think the RCMP's arbitrary reclassification was a grotesque over-reach. If anyone else believes there may be? Well, surely there is a better way to tend to the idea and open a dialogue than spreading the diseased diatribe of the antis! Seeing their balderdash in places like this is terrible.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:30 PM

http://blogs.canoe.ca/lilleyspad/pol...-on-fiirearms/

flurry of emails have been sent to me this morning following a story in the Nanaimo Daily News. It’s a news story of a drug bust and theft ring.

“A cache containing two assault weapons, drugs and $18,000 in reportedly stolen goods was uncovered by police in a shed during a routine investigation.”

Assault weapons you say! Drugs! Stolen goods!

This sounds like a juicy story but despite “heroin, cocaine, methamphetamine and marijuana” being found on site the real issue, well of course it’s the guns. To be sure two rifles, “Soviet-era SKS Tula semi-automatic assault rifles,” found in the back of a shed can be dangerous if kids find them but then again, so can heroin.

Here’s where the Nanaimo Daily News and reporter Darrell Bellaart get loopy and lazy, aided and abetted by the local RCMP.

But the discovery of two Russian assault weapons is of particular concern, given the potential danger they pose to public safety.

The weapons are capable of rapidly firing up to 10 bullets without reloading.

“If they fall into the wrong hands, now they’ve got a semi-automatic weapon,” said Sgt. Sheryl Armstrong of the Nanaimo RCMP.

“Or if some young child finds them and thinks they’re a toy, and there’s ammunition, look out.”

Guns capable of firing one bullet after another are often used in mass shootings.

“Any time you have something capable of firing more than one bullet (in rapid succession), it’s concerning,” Armstrong said. “You think about the massacres we’ve had with AK-47s.

“If you can fire off (multiple) shots just like that, it has the capability of harming more individuals than a single shot.”

Alrighty then, where to begin?

Let’s start with the “assault weapon” designation. There is no such thing as an “assault weapon.” This is a made up term used to invoke fear. This rifle is a semi-automatic. That means that just like the sidearm the RCMP officer carries on her hip the rifle can shoot one bullet each time the trigger is pulled.

Other than some cosmetic differences there is not much to distinguish between this and a semi-automatic hunting rifle. They may operate differently, but the end result is the same, pull trigger, bullet shoots.

When Sgt. Sheryl Armstrong says,”If they fall into the wrong hands, now they’ve got a semi-automatic weapon,” she could very well be talking about her pistol or Grandpa’s hunting rifle. These comments are incredibly stupid.

But as you’ve seen Sgt. Armstrong wasn’t done with her stupid comments. She went on to say this:

“Any time you have something capable of firing more than one bullet (in rapid succession), it’s concerning,” Armstrong said. “You think about the massacres we’ve had with AK-47s.”

Okay, tell me about all the massacres in Nanaimo with AK-47s. Can you think of one? Tell me about all the massacres in Canada with AK-47s.

This officer and reporter have not educated the public here, they have only shown their own ignorance.

The scary part is that Sgt. Armstrong could actually have power over whether law-abiding gun owners, people that have a clue about firearms, get to keep their property. Quite frankly based on these comments, i wouldn’t trust her with her own sidearm.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:35 PM

Default Another one

Is Nanaimo RCMP Sgt. Sheryl Armstrong a complete idiot? Or just thoroughly ignorant of the laws she supposedly enforces?

I honestly don’t know what else you can say about a so-called “police officer” who has absolutely no idea of what she speaks.

I also can’t fathom how moronic [alleged] reporter Darrell Bellaart must be that he refused to do the most basic fact-checking prior to making both himself and his newspaper the laughing stock of the nation.

The story coming out of Nanaimo (“Nanaimo RCMP discover Soviet assault weapons“) is that the RCMP discovered “Soviet assault rifles” and Thank God they did!!!! God only knows what could happen if these heinous “assault weapons” fell into the wrong hands!!!

Except for one small pesky fact.

The SKS is NOT an “assault rifle”.

Read the complete article at: http://christopherdiarmani.com/11050...omplete-idiot/
Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Banned

Cool

Oh here we go again ..the stg 44 in fact as posted is the first assualt rifle from "sturmgewehr".
This is the common classification for a rifle combining some or all of the traits of a carbine , smg and an automatic rifle. The name storm rifle meaning to storm a position ie assault . this is drawn from the design keys of such a rifle,short overall length with a relitively long barrel. Allowing quick target acquisition in tight quarters whilst maintaining accuracy at distance.
High magazine capacity to facilitate sustained suppressive fire with the ability to select rate of fire to allow easy role change of weapon. single shot to increase accuracy for selective target engagments.
So the assault rifle has existed from the latter parts of wwll .is still in use to day to cover rifles that fill the role" to assault " unlike our above members absurdity the hockey stick was never intended to be used as a weapon against others as with the pool cue or the car. The assault rifle is specifically intended for such a purpose.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:30 PM

Crime syndicates love assault rifles on account of how easy it makes robbing trenches.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Oh here we go again ..the stg 44 in fact as posted is the first assualt rifle from "sturmgewehr".
This is the common classification for a rifle combining some or all of the traits of a carbine , smg and an automatic rifle. The name storm rifle meaning to storm a position ie assault . this is drawn from the design keys of such a rifle,short overall length with a relitively long barrel. Allowing quick target acquisition in tight quarters whilst maintaining accuracy at distance.
High magazine capacity to facilitate sustained suppressive fire with the ability to select rate of fire to allow easy role change of weapon. single shot to increase accuracy for selective target engagments.
So the assault rifle has existed from the latter parts of wwll .is still in use to day to cover rifles that fill the role" to assault " unlike our above members absurdity the hockey stick was never intended to be used as a weapon against others as with the pool cue or the car. The assault rifle is specifically intended for such a purpose.
Oh my
Old 03-16-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
with the ability to select rate of fire
And that one feature that isn't present on the vast majority of the rifles referred to as "assault" rifles, by the media, keeps those rifles from actually being "assault" rifles.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:16 PM

Typical

A "know nothing" talking about something they "know nothing" about

Imagine if parents left their car keys laying around. Little Johnny has seen mom start the van a zillion times!!!! Oh the potential carnage!!!!

But cars are registered so that scenario could never happen.

Police spokesmen should be registered.

I own an "assault watch"......
Old 03-16-2014, 10:19 PM

That actually made my brain hurt and I think I got a little sick to my stomach reading that... And I don't even own or like the sks!
Old 03-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Banned

Default Assault

I sharpened the blade on my "Assault mower" this weekend
When are they coming out with the "Assault handguns" and "Assault shotguns" I wonder if I was in a fight and threw a table-saw at someone it would be referred to as a "Assault table-saw" Kinda like the guy who killed the other guy by stuffing a dozen "assault roses" down his throat till he suffocated. I had better go assault my heavy-bag in the basement im getting steamed
Old 03-16-2014, 10:51 PM
Banned

Cool

Lets look around a bit eh .Wikipedia
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_44
The us army as posted on the article responces.
It is found in the Army intelligence document FSTC-CW-07-03-70 published November 1970, and was also published in later editions. The book is “Small Arms Identification and Operation Guide – Eurasian Communist Countries”, by Harold E. Johnson. It was prepared by what at the time was the U.S. Army Foreign Science and Technology Center of the Army Material Command.Page 67 of this edition in section III, part A, paragraph 68a, and reads as follows:“Assault rifles are short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachinegun and rifle cartridges.”The paragraph concludes by adding:“Assault rifles have mild recoil characteristics and, because of this, are capable of delivering effective full-automatic fire at ranges up to 300 meters.”That is the “official US Army definition”: select-fire, full-automatic fire, and an intermediate cartridge.
Wow that took a whole 3 minutes.
Mr huntinstuff are you suggesting your watch was intended to be used as a weapon as opposed to a time piece. I find that unlightly unless issued from q div if so they would like it back.
I made no mention of any specific rifle, simply that an assault rifle is not a made up term to put a design of rifles in a bad light i do suggest rifles that cannot be identified at 10mtrs fall into assault rifle if one is on the pointed end of the stick .
Old 03-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burglecut83 View Post
I sharpened the blade on my "Assault mower" this weekend
When are they coming out with the "Assault handguns" and "Assault shotguns" I wonder if I was in a fight and threw a table-saw at someone it would be referred to as a "Assault table-saw" Kinda like the guy who killed the other guy by stuffing a dozen "assault roses" down his throat till he suffocated. I had better go assault my heavy-bag in the basement im getting steamed
You have difficulty with definitions big guy. Your mower was in all purposes intended to cut grass. it is not if ever issued by any military in the world as a weapon ..... as the other team armed with assult rifles would soon level your team armed with mowers.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:13 PM
Banned

Yeah that is true they could. An sks is not an assault rifle. All guns are designed with the same purpose.... Shoot stuff. Be it paper, clay targets, animals, humans. If I decide to kill someone with a baseball bat today, the bat used will have become an assault bat because I, by definition assaulted someone with the bat. Definitions are neat. I flipped the switch that turns it from an normal bat to an assault bat.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:28 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Yeah that is true they could. An sks is not an assault rifle. All guns are designed with the same purpose.... Shoot stuff. Be it paper, clay targets, animals, humans. If I decide to kill someone with a baseball bat today, the bat used will have become an assault bat because I, by definition assaulted someone with the bat. Definitions are neat. I flipped the switch that turns it from an normal bat to an assault bat.
No not at a you assulted with a bat ... a compact select fire rifle with a high capacity is intended by design for one thing ,shooting paper or hunting was never part of the design criteria. See how that works, millions of bat are produced every years some are used as weapons. Millions of assult rifles are produced every year none if any will be used for baseball .guess how many will be used for the intended pourpose.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:50 PM
Banned

If I pick up a piece of metal pipe and repeatedly hit someone over the head until they are dead then the pipe is an assault pipe because I planned to use it to kill the other fella. It did the job I made it do... Not the one it was intended for. Any gun is meant to sit around dormant until a human pics it up, loads it, and shoots it. Guns can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Assault weapons are semi automatic guns.... They were designed as semi automatic rifles not assault weapons what do you think about that foolishness?
Old 03-17-2014, 12:07 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
If I pick up a piece of metal pipe and repeatedly hit someone over the head until they are dead then the pipe is an assault pipe because I planned to use it to kill the other fella. It did the job I made it do... Not the one it was intended for. Any gun is meant to sit around dormant until a human pics it up, loads it, and shoots it. Guns can be dangerous in the wrong hands. Assault weapons are semi automatic guns.... They were designed as semi automatic rifles not assault weapons what do you think about that foolishness?
So an F1 is just a car by your example or by desing is it a race car of the highest order with a very specific use.
Currently there are billions of miles of pipe doing its job as desined and intended. the fact you assult some one with a pipe does not make it any thing but a pipe. Yes a fire arm is a tool .. some have been designed for very specific purposes. Are you suggesting the us army got its deffinition wrong or the fact assault rifle as a term for a class /style of rifle has existed since wwll with no or little input from the media. Just like you can put a spoiler on a jetta but you dont have a race car because race cars have spoilers nice try though.