Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-30-2011, 02:26 AM

Default silencers/supressors

Hopefully this won't get pulled, I'd like to hear a discussion and get to know peoples feelings here.

Ok so I've been living in the UK for six months now and been to the gunrange and hunting with some cool guys. The thing is lots of people use silencers on their guns and I'm thinking they are a good thing. I'm also wondering why they are illegal in Canada. It seems it's been to avoid people using them for poaching. After using them I don't think they are a poachers tool at all and a rifle isn't actually quieted enough to avoid others hearing the shot. It does make it a lot easier on the shooters ears and the people close by. Ever had that eardrum splitting feeling at the range? Doesn't happen with supressors. As well they really tame down recoil and you don't lose sight of your target during the shot another big help for hunting. Think about the reduction in noise for the neighbours of a shooting range. I'd be willing to bet that we'd have more ranges available if they weren't so hard on the neighbours.

So after thinking about it I'm really wondering why there isn't a big push to legalize silencers in Canada?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:51 PM

There should be a push here. Several ranges have noise as the biggest complaint. Hunters here don't even like the topic though, they would rather say "what?" for the rest of their life and live with the constant ringing in the ears.

If the legalized suppressors I would have several tomorrow. Every one of my hunting rifles would have one. I have taken one shot with one down in the states, I would still wear in the ear plugs as the 30-06 was about as loud as my semi-auto 22, but I would love the option to have one when I am out hunting. I am a young guy and my hearing is reduced enough already.

There is a thread about suppressors on canadiangunnutz, one member has written a paper that he plans to forward to the gov. I wish him luck, and I will support the move to legalize suppressors.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:59 PM
sheephunter

They are legal in New Zealand as well and I was surprised how few people actually used them. The ones we saw served a dual purpose: both noise and recoil suppression. I can definitely see some uses, especially on the range but not sure I'd equip my hunting rifles. I'm not against the idea but not sure I'd own many supressed guns.

It was cool to go in the gun shops and see supressed Tikkas and Remingtons sitting on the shelf.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:15 PM

Anti-poaching is one of the reasons they are illegal in Canada but also the potential for illegal use of firearms i.e. robberies, shooting in parks, murders, etc.

At the end of the day they don't work to completely supress the report of the rifle but they do diminish it enough on small calibers and handguns that the sound wouldn't travel outside a thich wall. I've seen a supressed 9mm handgun and the slap of the bolt traveling was the loudest sound.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with them being legalized myself. Too much potential for illicit use IMO.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Banned

Not sure I'd want one myself...they look quite ungainly. lol. But I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed...of course I also figure you should be able to hunt with handguns, if you so choose as well. If you're worried about people using them for robberies...why not just make it illegal to rob people...oh yeah, it already is. Get it.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:31 PM

Id take one on a .22 pistol, thats about it. Cool toy but in my opinion kind of impractical for any other use unless you plan on waxing someone and don't want to be heard.lol
Old 06-30-2011, 01:37 PM
sheephunter

Simple solution would be to only legalize them for long guns and have a minimum length the supressor must be.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:42 PM

im from uk and i can confirm they do a lot for supressing recoil a 7mm 08 with a supressor fells like firing a .22, i dont think they would increase poaching if someone is going to poach game they are going to poach game surpressor or not! they are just that sort of person and a can on thier gun isnt going to make a difference
Old 06-30-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1 View Post
if someone is going to poach game they are going to poach game surpressor or not! they are just that sort of person and a can on thier gun isnt going to make a difference
I would agree.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:58 PM

I have a small suppressor on my mountain rifle and I bought a BIG suppressor this year for my field rifle. Suppressors are a good thing.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
I also figure you should be able to hunt with handguns, if you so choose as well. If you're worried about people using them for robberies...why not just make it illegal to rob people...oh yeah, it already is. Get it.
X2
Old 06-30-2011, 05:56 PM

I would like to see sound suppressors legalized (no, manditory) on all semi-auto "assault type" rifles and semi-auto pistols for while being used at an "approved" Range. IMO, the biggest threat to Ranges being shut down in Alberta is NOISE. When ranges are "up to code", safety is not an issue for neighbors, just noise...semi-auto fire seems to bring out the most sensitive neighbors.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:59 PM

I shoot a 338 Win mag I feel horrible even thinking of using a muzzle break at a range. I double plug before using the break I wish i could quite it down for the comfort of my neighbors.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:09 PM

I'll just leave this here:

Mythbusters tackled the myth of silencers sounding like they do in the movies. You know what? They can sound like that. They found a .22 handgun shooting sub-sonic or short ammo with a silencer on it does in fact make a tiny little 'pew' sounds that's barely audible.

Apparently, some organizations use these at very close range to kill people.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:22 PM

May be true that some organizations are using these to kill people, but legalizing them isn't going to increase the murder rate. People who are in the killing business are gonna have them if they want them, so why shouldnt we all be able to save our ears. I'd have one spun onto all my centerfires for range work/load testing. then spin it off for hunting
Old 06-30-2011, 06:35 PM

I think they should be legalized as well, I have ticked my neighbours off a few years back when I had the time to shoot alot. They were mad at the noise. I'm with everyone who thinks there would be less problems at the range with them.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:06 PM

I know in the states (or at least some), you can get a permit and use them on rimfires. Rimfire central is full of guys using them. I too would like to see them legalized.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:15 PM

Smile What are the rules about these things in Alberta?

I worry about my hearing too, can I make one and use it in the privacy of my own land?

What's that you say EH?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:18 PM

Silencers are ilegal because some bonehead anti gun legislator saw too many James Bond movies. Everyone knows as soon as you attach a silencer you turn into a stealthy ninja hit man....hell they even show it in all the hollywood movies it's got to be true!

This banning objects to keep people safe is stupid. We had a doorman stabbed in Banff recently. Now the owner of the establishment wants to put metal detectors on the dooors and ban knives from his bar. Maybe someone should order a steak sandwich in his greek restaurant and stab the guy....then he might get it. Or maybe he will ban steak next!

Last edited by uglyelk; 06-30-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:14 PM

They are legal in New Zealand and you can even get fully suspressed
barrels now esp for the 10/22, have had a play round loading a 308 for subsonic, didn,t work out very well, unable to stablize bullet.
def much nicer on the ears and have noticed that game aminals have trouble pin pointing source of shot. I like them for small game rabbits etc but took of the one on the .270 as got fed up with the extral length and uneven balance in the bush. still use it for alpine hunting and mobs of goats and the range.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:47 PM

Anyone see Sons of Guns last week. He put together a suppressed semi auto shotgun, managed to get it down to 144 dB at a cost of $2500 (IIRC). Not exactly quiet but enough to not pi$$ off the neighbours. You guys who are against noise suppressors need to watch less movies and get a grip on reality. A quiet firearm doesn't cause any more problems than your duck gun. We've been fighting this fight for decades and fudds still manage to keep us infighting while the anti's walk all over us.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 06-30-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Anyone see Sons of Guns last week. He put together a suppressed semi auto shotgun, managed to get it down to 144 dB at a cost of $2500 (IIRC). Not exactly quiet but enough to not pi$$ off the neighbours. You guys who are against noise suppressors need to watch less movies and get a grip on reality. A quiet firearm doesn't cause any more problems than your duck gun. We've been fighting this fight for decades and fudds still manage to keep us infighting while the anti's walk all over us.
Hey Hillbilly - carefull - I'm a fudd and think they should be legalized! Oh, I also like the black rifles, and only get "fuddy" with the slobs who don't pick up their steel cased 7.62 X 39!!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 04:12 AM

Default opinions

It's interesting seeing the opinions expressed. So far 2 or 3 posters have said they think they should be illegal because you can kill people more quietly. We're talking about hunting and sporting firearms here, and you know what those TV shows are selling a myth because supressors don't make a gun that quiet.

Think about the acerage owners in 212, it would be nice for them to be able to whack a skunk or coyote without upsetting the neighbours. How many of us have been refused hunting permission because "the neighbour doesn't like the noise." This would be another tool to help us to continue doing what we like without bothering non-shooters as well as making it safer and more pleasant for our own shooting.

It would be nice to see some organizations get involved with trying to change peoples attitudes. Obviously we'd have to start with our own members as it seems even shooters think supressors are only for bad guys. We could make this a reality though if we really put the effort into it.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:45 AM

Would a petition with x amount of signatures work? I mean to get the ball rolling that is.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:09 AM

Here is a link to the thread on CGN, joining is free.. and you can access the paper that was written from post #1.
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...d.php?t=606110
Old 07-01-2011, 09:05 AM

Suppressors 30 caliber

Old 07-01-2011, 09:09 AM

people who are going to break the law are going to break the law! supressor or not it wont make a difference, and as for using them to murder someone!?? people dont become killers because of a can on a gun
Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 AM

Default Suppressors in Combat

Hi Guys,

You probably know this already, but suppressors on a centre-fire rifle will eliminate the noise from the gas exiting the barrel but do nothing to suppress the noise from the sonic shock wave trailed by the bullet itself.

In combat, if you're being shot at, you can guess the range of the shooter by estimating the time between the crack-thump and that will allow you to bring counter fire onto who ever is shooting at you. The crack is the sonic shock wave you hear as the bullet is passing over your head, the thump is the sound of the gas exiting the barrel when the rifle is fired. Since centre fire bullets are supersonic, they travel faster than the sound of the thump. That is why you hear the crack-thump when you're being shot at.

It's use in the military realm is to prevent the enemy from guessing the range from which our snipers are shooting.

In a hunting situation everybody will still hear the shot but you won't be deafened by it. Also as far as I know there are about 10 or so states south of the border that allow suppressors in hunting situations.

As an ex machine gun sergeant in the Canadian Army, I do a lot of what you call the NRA salute, that is cupping your hand around the ear to hear what's being said.

I wish I could get my hearing back but it's gone forever.

Cheers,
EH
Old 07-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Banned

Supressors may eliminate some of the noise used in criminal situations , BUT in this day and age , In a case of where someone is murdered by firearm and no one was around , it really matters not whether the sound of the weapon was heard or not , Ballistics, DNA. fingerprints. The sound of a gun being fired was never good enough to convict anyone of a homicide , UNLESS , They were visibly seen fireing the weapon, and that only adds to effect, NOT proof.
So suppressors IN THIS DAY AND AGE , DO have a use because of the fact that there hardly is anywhere that a firearm can be fired without disturbing some person near the vicinity.
People are killed with a knife daily in this country , a knife is silent, Therefore IF we would add sound to a knife being used , WOULD this fact enable the law to capture and convict the perpetrator easier?
I think the answer to this last question makes as much sense as saying silencers increase murder rates OR poaching for that matter!
So this is all B.S and conjecture based on hysterics and misinformation .
But it appears to satisfy the politicians and their ilk, So the next time you go camping and you have a choice to sleep under the stars OR in a wall tent , ARE YOU really any safer because you are in a tent?
Old 07-01-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Supressors may eliminate some of the noise used in criminal situations , BUT in this day and age , In a case of where someone is murdered by firearm and no one was around , it really matters not whether the sound of the weapon was heard or not , Ballistics, DNA. fingerprints. The sound of a gun being fired was never good enough to convict anyone of a homicide , UNLESS , They were visibly seen fireing the weapon, and that only adds to effect, NOT proof.
So suppressors IN THIS DAY AND AGE , DO have a use because of the fact that there hardly is anywhere that a firearm can be fired without disturbing some person near the vicinity.
People are killed with a knife daily in this country , a knife is silent, Therefore IF we would add sound to a knife being used , WOULD this fact enable the law to capture and convict the perpetrator easier?
I think the answer to this last question makes as much sense as saying silencers increase murder rates OR poaching for that matter!
So this is all B.S and conjecture based on hysterics and misinformation .
But it appears to satisfy the politicians and their ilk, So the next time you go camping and you have a choice to sleep under the stars OR in a wall tent , ARE YOU really any safer because you are in a tent?
x2 very true