Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Default The 1 public access to bearspaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHammer&Rod View Post
Does anyone have any new info about bearspaw? Is this an entry point? It appears to be on Municipal land...

If you follow the directions in the pictures I have attached, You will see that there is 1 public place to access bearspaw.

This spot is popular in the winter months as you can access the ice here and travel to any part of the Bearspaw on ice.

If you don't believe this spot is public, take a drive down there and you will see a brown Public Anglers notice board. Similar to the one you see at PCR or Mcgregor.

I hope I helped you out.

You can't really fish it in the summer time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bearspaw.jpg (66.5 KB, 959 views)
File Type: jpg bbbeeeea.jpg (95.7 KB, 770 views)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 PM

Can you launch a boat there? The air photo appears to show a launch ramp and a dock.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:37 AM

The area that you are pointing out is gated off. I assume the residents are the ones that posted the tow away zone all around there. Also, they have no trespassing signs every where.

Just slightly north is a city of Calgary park for the people to access, but he residents have also blocked all access to the park area. The land has been designated as a park for several years. I phoned that city and it seems that the city cannot provide reasonable access to the park area. I also attempted to access the park area and was told by the residents that the park was private. From the road it would seem that the residents were enjoying the park a lot.

The parks are called Bearspaw Legacy Park and Haskayne Legacy Park. I assume it will be a cold day in hell when the springbank people will allow public access.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:51 AM

Here is a map of the parks.

http://www.calgary.ca/Mayor/Document..._park_topo.pdf
Old 04-27-2013, 05:21 PM

I am really ****ed! How can a few people deny all access to an entire reservoir for a city of over 1 million people? Just because you happen to own property next to a body of water should not guaratee that that reservoir is exclusivly for your personal use. The Bearspaw reservoir is owned and operated by TransAlts Utilities as far as I know. Can we not campaign them for something as simple as a secure boat launch area off Bearspaw Road for the sake of fairness?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:38 PM

Organize a protest, get a bunch of people together and access the park, make them charge you.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuan View Post
The area that you are pointing out is gated off. I assume the residents are the ones that posted the tow away zone all around there. Also, they have no trespassing signs every where.

Just slightly north is a city of Calgary park for the people to access, but he residents have also blocked all access to the park area. The land has been designated as a park for several years. I phoned that city and it seems that the city cannot provide reasonable access to the park area. I also attempted to access the park area and was told by the residents that the park was private. From the road it would seem that the residents were enjoying the park a lot.

The parks are called Bearspaw Legacy Park and Haskayne Legacy Park. I assume it will be a cold day in hell when the springbank people will allow public access.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuan View Post
The posted pictures were a quote from a past thread earlier this week by "RockHammer&Rod"

See Attach pictures I have attached.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikehunter13 View Post
The posted pictures were a quote from a past thread earlier this week by "RockHammer&Rod"

See Attach pictures I have attached.
There was no access to that location 2 months ago. at that location is a big ass metal gate.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:35 PM

Anybody know if this access point is real?? Like many of you, i'd love to take advantage of icefishing bearspaw since its so close to Calgary, and i'm not able to go very often to other lakes because of the distance. Are there any other public access points? I read in another thread there was some on the SW side, but that they were pretty steep.... Would really just like to take an auger and a rod and head out for the day without being ticketed or falling and breaking my neck.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. It kinda sucks that such a big lake is almost strictly private access..

thanks
1 John 4:10
Old 12-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchandeat View Post
Anybody know if this access point is real?? Like many of you, i'd love to take advantage of icefishing bearspaw since its so close to Calgary, and i'm not able to go very often to other lakes because of the distance. Are there any other public access points? I read in another thread there was some on the SW side, but that they were pretty steep.... Would really just like to take an auger and a rod and head out for the day without being ticketed or falling and breaking my neck.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. It kinda sucks that such a big lake is almost strictly private access..

thanks
Start knocking on doors, one is bound to say yes..
Old 12-18-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Start knocking on doors, one is bound to say yes..
Yeah that might just be what I have to do...

there should really be a legit public access spot.

Oh well...
1 John 4:10
Old 12-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchandeat View Post
Yeah that might just be what I have to do...

there should really be a legit public access spot.

Oh well...
There is public access ... down a cliff . For most its not worth the risk .
Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 AM

Default Public Access

I'm going to try Bearspaw next weekend with a local, who has told me there is public access and people are driving on, but I'll probably tote the sled. Anyone know if there is a depth map (I think they call it Bathymetry chart). Just looking for possible places to drill. I don't have a sonar or flasher yet. I'm sure the trout and whites are good eats from there?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowriverbrown View Post
I'm going to try Bearspaw next weekend with a local, who has told me there is public access and people are driving on, but I'll probably tote the sled. Anyone know if there is a depth map (I think they call it Bathymetry chart). Just looking for possible places to drill. I don't have a sonar or flasher yet. I'm sure the trout and whites are good eats from there?
Lol driving on lol yeh right . Its a reservoir . Good luck .
Old 01-10-2014, 02:53 PM

I doubted that too! Ghost is also a reservoir and people drive on it, is it much different? lol de fn lol!
Old 01-10-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowriverbrown View Post
If you can find access to drive on there I'd be happy to bring my flasher and power auger. I haven't even found a spot to walk on without jumping off the cliff.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:07 PM

Even if I could drive on I wouldn't with my car, I'll let you know how it goes. I have a power auger, but no flasher.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:53 PM

Bowriverbrown, would you mind sharing where the access point is? I've found one before but it was basically down a cliff (couldn't even bring a fishing sled with you). Even a hint would be appreciated...access to this lake has been a thorn in my side for a very long time.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depolloc View Post
Bowriverbrown, would you mind sharing where the access point is? I've found one before but it was basically down a cliff (couldn't even bring a fishing sled with you). Even a hint would be appreciated...access to this lake has been a thorn in my side for a very long time.
X2 and I'm sure a bunch more
Old 01-10-2014, 06:30 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Honest guys its not worth the risk, level fluctuations ,unknown currents,releases up stream ?? The list goes on and on . If you lived on the lake and could watch freeze up then maybe just . Its flowing, you go in you will not be coming out .notice all the western res have very littl activity , they contain next to no sport fish , the hrs per fish are silly and the risks really make these waters a poor choice with other safer productive waters close by .imo poor choice for low to no return.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:35 PM

I really have no interest in driving on. Just wanna be able to walk out with my sled.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:59 PM

Fish Gunner, if you're talking about driving on to a reservoir, I'd agree with you. That's where the agreement stops though. I used to live in Ontario, and I'm telling you, I've actually had better fishing out of western reservoirs. This includes Ghost. This isn't about hrs/fish or anything like that. It's about safe public access to an amazing resource so close to Calgary. Even if it is just SAFE foot access. I'm on the same page as Chrisholm77. Hopefully, I'll be able ice fish this great looking reservoir one day.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:07 PM

I'd actually rather no driving. Probably the only reason spray isn't fished out is because you have to walk a fair distance to get into the better fishing. The nice part is spray has several safe public access points. I wish Bearspaw had atleast one.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Banned

Cool

Im suggesting even walking on with out a good knowledge of the ice formation progress is dangerous. I have wittnessed ply wood size holes on 3'plus of ice. these freeze a crust every night or cold spell. just trying to give some some wisdom from experience on these waters . Be safe, drill often, come home dry .
Old 02-03-2014, 04:51 PM

Has anyone had any luck getting on Bearspaw ice fishing this year? Would love to know if there was a way.

Last edited by orangefreddie; 02-03-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:34 PM

Default Access to Bears Paw

If we have fished together and you have tight lips. I can provide you with where to get access to Bears Paw. This has been an ongoing issue forever and frankly I'm getting tired of hearing about locals making there own rules. Besides my access point a public park is a public Park. It dont matter if locals have put up a 40 foot gate. I would gain access and when someone says you can not. As stated above have them call authorities. I will come on that trip regardless if I have other access some where else or not just to deal with it once and for all....

I ain't giving this out to everyone so don't flood me with pm's. There are a couple others on here that know it as well and yes I am sure you will be ****ed but tough.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:35 PM

I wonder if Fish and Wildlife could provide some guidance. Might be worth a call...Calgary 403 297-6423

If I have time tomorrow I will give them a call......stay tuned.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:41 PM

Old 02-04-2014, 05:22 AM

There is access (foot access) on the SW corner of the Rez where the bow comes in. There, I've done my part. I don't have the exact location so you'll need to take a drive to find it. Not very safe though in my humble opinion. If anyone has any other access locations, I'd suggest posting them. Keeping it a secret is why access has become an issue in the 1st place on the Rez, and the reason that the community is able to make this a private lake. Let's try opening this puppy back up to "real" public access again. If we don't, greed will win.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:22 AM

I'm in. That gate needs to go!