Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-05-2024, 09:34 AM

Default Snow Camo for a big guy

Wondering if there is much for options for snow camo in the 4X-5X size, preferably budget friendly? Looking at getting into coyote hunting. Some brands have up to 3X but by the size charts it will be a little too small. Thanks
Old 01-05-2024, 09:38 AM

I know a few guys that just use white bed sheets as it completely breaks up human outline
Old 01-05-2024, 09:39 AM

Have you considered a ground blind? Or a big white sheet, hide behind it or wrap it around like a cape.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Have you considered a ground blind? Or a big white sheet, hide behind it or wrap it around like a cape.
Guy is looking for 5x clothes and you suggest a tent...
Lol
Old 01-05-2024, 10:10 AM

I used to use the tyvek painters coveralls for years, $5 ( at that time ) and when they are full of holes chuck them, they are actually pretty tough.

I now have a XXL pair of old stained white insulated coveralls, they are anything but white now with all the stains on them but they still work great, they look like the new white camo

Coverall.jpg

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomapleleafss View Post
Wondering if there is much for options for snow camo in the 4X-5X size, preferably budget friendly? Looking at getting into coyote hunting. Some brands have up to 3X but by the size charts it will be a little too small. Thanks
I would suggest getting a set of White pull overs made up. Lots of seamstresses will do that kind of work. That way you can just pull them over your existing cold weather gear.

One suggestion

https://www.kingscamo.com/collection...ption.size=4XL

Raven Wear will make custom clothes but not usually considered budget gear.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:34 AM

Gostwear offers the Big Al coveralls up to a 64" chest in white. They are made in Canada and available in either 100% cotton or poly cotton. Get a size large enough to go over your cold weather gear and add some colour to breakup the solid white outline. As of today, they are still showing the 10% holiday discount.
Here are links to both options:
https://www.gostwear.com/poly-cotton...c67394a8327946

https://www.gostwear.com/cotton-cove...c67394a8327946

Here is another option that might work, although they generally are not budget friendly:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow camo.jpg (39.9 KB, 40 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 01-05-2024, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Lol
Why not, it worked for me when no commercial clothing offerings that fit could be found.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:00 PM

https://www.bigcamo.com/BigCamo.com-...ll-Hunting.php

Not overly fancy but this would work well.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-05-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Lol
Funny story, in university I lived in the dorms with a roommate. We had a buddy staying over on the floor. He asked for another blanket and my roommate said grab that brown one over there. It was a pair of pants of mine. He still laughs uncontrollable to this day when he tells the story!
Old 01-05-2024, 12:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Badlands has big sizes but way out of the price range. Scheels has some that are a little pricey but I might go that way. I do like the overwhites from Bigcamo.com but they require $150 usd before they will ship internationally.

I did think of using a sheet like a poncho but I am afraid it will move around and if I tuck it all in then it would restrict my movement.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Why not, it worked for me when no commercial clothing offerings that fit could be found.
It is a good idea, I just thought it was funny, like a thing you would say to your buddy if he was looking for bigger clothes.
Old 01-05-2024, 12:34 PM

Default Amazon will deliver to your door…

White disposable 5XL coveralls…

https://www.amazon.ca/disposable-cov...+coveralls+5xl
Old 01-05-2024, 12:39 PM

I like these as a cover up. And they go on sale occasionally.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13966...-coverup-pants

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/13966...-coverup-parka

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-05-2024, 12:47 PM

White goalie sweater over your favorite warm coat
Old 01-05-2024, 01:01 PM

No need to go hunting coyotes.....got this guy sneaking into my yard this morning!

Old 01-05-2024, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I used to use the tyvek painters coveralls for years, $5 ( at that time ) and when they are full of holes chuck them, they are actually pretty tough.

I now have a XXL pair of old stained white insulated coveralls, they are anything but white now with all the stains on them but they still work great, they look like the new white camo

Attachment 188678
Look at painters coveralls. Way less money and will as they get used and dirty, they camo better!
Old 01-05-2024, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
No need to go hunting coyotes.....got this guy sneaking into my yard this morning!

Nice job, looks like his sneaking days are over

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 01-05-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I would suggest getting a set of White pull overs made up. Lots of seamstresses will do that kind of work. That way you can just pull them over your existing cold weather gear.

One suggestion

https://www.kingscamo.com/collection...ption.size=4XL

Raven Wear will make custom clothes but not usually considered budget gear.
Unfortunately, Raven Wear closed their doors several years ago. One of my greatest blunders was not getting a set made by them. I’d pay an awful hefty sum for a set of their gear that fit.

The Kings stuff runs a bit small on the sizing I find. Seems like everything runs a size smaller than it should. Or at least that’s how I’ve found it.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomapleleafss View Post
Try a painters coverall. Home Depot, Lowes, Rona all have them. Wear your warm stuff underneath.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:30 PM

I did not know Raven shut down. Too bad, was good gear. I did google "custom made camo clothes" and there is a surprisingly large number of places that do that. A couple were even here in Canada. Might be an option worth checking out.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:48 PM

Just check out all the army surplus stores in Canada , all my gear for winter hunting comes from them. boots all white . I've had mine for some time now and it's tuff stuff specially the white head gear, plus easy to wash .

JD
Old 01-05-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
Just check out all the army surplus stores in Canada , all my gear for winter hunting comes from them. boots all white . I've had mine for some time now and it's tuff stuff specially the white head gear, plus easy to wash .

JD
It really is excellwnt gear and reasonably priced. I have quite a bit of it over the years. Love the German wool pants and have used them for years. Unfortunately, none of it comes in 5xl so the OP isn't going to be able to take advantage of what is great gear.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
It really is excellwnt gear and reasonably priced. I have quite a bit of it over the years. Love the German wool pants and have used them for years. Unfortunately, none of it comes in 5xl so the OP isn't going to be able to take advantage of what is great gear.
I kinda realized that now ,but I did use a white military poncho with a white balaclava and micky mouse boots in my early years ,so he can still get something on those sites . Just tied a white bed sheet around my waste ,this way I could wear my heavy winter clothing for longer sits . feet , head ,face need covering also lotsa good military stuff for this .

I hunted on the sides of lakes in my younger days and spooked a few wolves and realized the bottom of my boots were not white and they picked up on my movement if I turned a bit to grab my rifle ,so army surplus had some and white hand covering cloves and good mitts .

Cheers
JD
Old 01-06-2024, 01:26 PM

I found a white camo ghilli suit/poncho online a fee yrs ago that worked really well. The biggest I've been was 3xl but I had lots of room. Just put it over my warm clothes. Was some kind of nylon Fibre.
Old 01-06-2024, 01:47 PM

Find a set of Canadian army, surplus whites. Inexpensive and light weight.
Old 01-06-2024, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Find a set of Canadian army, surplus whites. Inexpensive and light weight.
Unless the Canadian military has really changed in the last couple of years you aren't going to find even 2xl let alone 5xl as issue military gear. 5xl is a 58 inch plus waist. If anyone knows where there is 5xl military clothing please post a link. It is something I would love to see just out of basic curiosity.
Old 01-06-2024, 02:38 PM

I used to be shopping in a similar size range and eventually just made my own, the patterns are very simple and easy to make with a very basic machine. The year prior to my sewing adventure, I just used a white bed sheet with a hole cut in the middle and wore it like a poncho, sew some elastic where your wrists are so the thing does not bunch up or try to fly away. Chop off the bottom to match your height

In my case I kept one side pure white and put some fabric paint (black and brown to look like tree branches) on the other. Didn't care too much if it got ripped, just added to the character.

I wouldn't put the thing on until I was on stand, walking around in it might be tough, it packs down pretty small for the walk-in.