Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Banned

I think you summed this up pretty well HunterDave.. Its not that the 25-06 is to small to hunt moose it is more than enough gun if the animal is hit properly. The same can be said for all of the 30-06 cased guns and its smaller cousins as well. The option gained from packing a larger mag is that it may help those of us that are less than perfect shots and are less than perfectly ethical in all we do. Like the majority of the saints on this board.. God forgive us mere mortals please..

Quote:
This thread is somthing else.

As per your post
Anyone who thinks a moose is a wimpy animal to put down has not hunted them very much in my opinion...

I have killed 8 moose with my bow and 3 with a gun.One with a 243 and 2 with a 7mm.The one that was shot with 7mm needed more than one shot.The one with the 243 went down instantly. I know they aer tuff animals but most are whimpy (or seems like it). I hit a limb on a tree and shot back and it went30 yards and layed down and started moaning.So I walked up and put another arrow in to it.All others went not far at all and died.Maybe all of those northeren moose are tougher then the southeren one.But trust me I know my stuff when it comes to them.
Now this post I like the best,,, After 11 moose this boy has them all firgured out,, lolol.. I love these guys..
Old 05-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Walleyes;592800]I think you summed this up pretty well HunterDave.. Its not that the 25-06 is to small to hunt moose it is more than enough gun if the animal is hit properly. The same can be said for all of the 30-06 cased guns and its smaller cousins as well. The option gained from packing a larger mag is that it may help those of us that are less than perfect shots and are less than perfectly ethical in all we do. Like the majority of the saints on this board.. God forgive us mere mortals please..

Old 05-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
I think you summed this up pretty well HunterDave.. Its not that the 25-06 is to small to hunt moose it is more than enough gun if the animal is hit properly. The same can be said for all of the 30-06 cased guns and its smaller cousins as well. The option gained from packing a larger mag is that it may help those of us that are less than perfect shots and are less than perfectly ethical in all we do. Like the majority of the saints on this board.. God forgive us mere mortals please..

Now this post I like the best,,, After 11 moose this boy has them all firgured out,, lolol.. I love these guys..
He walleye I wounder what make you so smart?????? My first choice would not be a small caliber but you can do it.So go make fun of other people.I never said I new everything but I geuess I might know more than you.I just dont have 3500 post on here yet like you. You are a real funny guy.
Old 05-23-2010, 09:18 AM
Banned

No lessons on what a small cartridge can do are needed here young fellow,, packed a .270 for over 20 years and put down many a moose with that old gun.

What I liked about your little post was how after 11 moose YOU KNOW WHAT THERE IS TO KNOW ABOUT THEM.. Well that's good cause after close to 30 years of hunting them and close to as many kills on them they still amaze me every now and then on how tough to take down they can be.

P.S.,,, Please try and be some what coherent in your post's makes them that much easier to decipher,,, thanks..

Last edited by Walleyes; 05-23-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Banned

It is funny how you like a bunch think cause you are older you know everything. I bet you would learn something from us younger folk.Look at a few of the younger guys on here.They have some monster trophies.I bet you have lots of great experience.I am not putting you down on that.I just find it funny how you think that I have only been on that many kills.I have been on way more than that as I do guide Hunters in alberta for moose and other things.Yes I am younger than you but I bet you can not teach me much when it come to hunting.Thanks for all of you kind word Walleye.Go play that game with someone else.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:38 AM

"I bet you can not teach me much when it come to hunting." Quote

This I believe

This is an amazing thread man does it have leggs

I stick by my conviction just love my 25-06 and my 300 WM orWSM but will grab either for any Alberta hunting occassion depending on the way I feel at the moment.

Last edited by Donny Bear; 05-24-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clakjp View Post
Yes I am younger than you but I bet you can not teach me much when it come to hunting.
Does a guy really stop learning about hunting? No matter how old ya are?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 05-24-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Some times you have to know it all before you need to learn a little commonly starts around 16 and ends about 25 on some occasions the learning 2nd phase (AKA I know it all) never does end

I promise i will know more about hunting at the end of 2010 then I did at the start.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
You are right on the money about that. I just feal that I know my stuff pretty darn good. The only things that I feel I need to learn are nothing he could teach me.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post
Some times you have to know it all before you need to learn a little commonly starts around 16 and ends about 25 on some occasions the learning 2nd phase (AKA I know it all) never does end

I promise i will know more about hunting at the end of 2010 then I did at the start.
I never said I know everything That was WALLEYE that stated he did.I just stated that he could not help me out.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clakjp View Post
I never said I know everything That was WALLEYE that stated he did.I just stated that he could not help me out.
Did you mean you wouldnt take any advice from him?
Old 05-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackpat View Post
Did you mean you wouldnt take any advice from him?
Is that what I wrote? I didnt need someone putting me down then offering advice. So no probably not.I would ask someone else if I did.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:45 PM

My Mom has a good saying: "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts".
Old 05-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
My Mom has a good saying: "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts".
Old 05-27-2010, 10:24 PM

Default I've read every post on this thread and here's what I have to say:

I'm gonna go buy me a .25-06.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Banned

have fun with your new gopher gun!!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 AM

I'm ashamed of you GIT-R-DONE. Now look at what you started. The .30 cal. fanclub are all upset.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Runner View Post
I'm ashamed of you GIT-R-DONE. Now look at what you started. The .30 cal. fanclub are all upset.

Ya gotta admit though, this thread really has legs.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
I would also recommend the 115 grain nosler partition for best bullet weight retention with the small 25 calibre. I have always worried about bullet weight retention since I have been shooting 130 grain sierra boat tails out of my .270 win at bull moose. I have not had any issues yet as I have killed at least a dozen bulls with this bullet with boiler room shots. I have had pass throughs and bullet blow ups but the moose died in all cases without excessive running (no more than 100 yards). It really depends on what the bullet hits on the way in. I just switched up to 140 grain Nosler Accubond ballistic tips as they shoot okay out of my gun as well. We will see how it goes.
You know that Sierra was my go to load for awhile until I had a rash of shallow penetrations an jackets shed at 2 inches. I went through a few different bullets and ended up at the 140gr Accubonds. Heck ova bullet in that cartridge. It penetrates like a train, and drops stuff with aplomb.
58-9gr H4831sc and your good to go.

And if I all I had was a 25-06. I`d load some TSX`s or 115 Partitons and shoot with confidence.