Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-10-2013, 11:20 AM

Default Browning Auto-5 Parts Kit - Where to find?

I have a 1973 Browning Auto 5 that desperately needs a few new parts.

My dad bought it a little bit ago, and then had a stroke and now it's in my gun cabinet. A buddy tried it out the other weekend and was in single shot mode half the day because it wasn't cycling.

I found this: http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/...-kits/A5RBD12M

Anyone know where I might be able to get this locally in Edmonton?

I'd love to hear of a good online source too?
Old 10-10-2013, 01:23 PM

A5s have a lever on the side of the action that will make it a single shot, check and see if it is in the right position. forward will allow the next shell to feed the reverse will hold the next shell from feeding.

cohod
Old 10-10-2013, 02:22 PM

Right, I definitely did forget to check that. That would be amusing if that was the problem.

I still do want to re-build it though, especially because it's rigged for 2 3/4" shells and I'd like to re-configure for 3"
Old 10-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppercarbide View Post
Right, I definitely did forget to check that. That would be amusing if that was the problem.

I still do want to re-build it though, especially because it's rigged for 2 3/4" shells and I'd like to re-configure for 3"
You won't be able to do that without replacing the chamber which is an integral part of the action. You might as well buy a A5 in 3"

D
Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota369 View Post
You won't be able to do that without replacing the chamber which is an integral part of the action. You might as well buy a A5 in 3"

D
Whoops, I wasn't very clear on that one, the gun is a 3", but it's set up at the moment to shoot 2-3/4" loads. Basically just uses 1 friction ring and 1 friction brake, where 3" settings use 2 of each. So, long story short I only have 1 of each.

Anyway, I took it out yesterday and tried it again. No go. The selector is in the right position, just not cycling.

Can anybody suggest a good place for gun parts?
Old 10-11-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppercarbide View Post
Whoops, I wasn't very clear on that one, the gun is a 3", but it's set up at the moment to shoot 2-3/4" loads. Basically just uses 1 friction ring and 1 friction brake, where 3" settings use 2 of each. So, long story short I only have 1 of each.

Anyway, I took it out yesterday and tried it again. No go. The selector is in the right position, just not cycling.

Can anybody suggest a good place for gun parts?
I got some replacement rings for mine at western gun parts, there customer service is the worst around but they got what you need. You can order them online also.