Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 08-26-2016, 09:27 AM

Default Logging

Got a letter from a logging company/sawmill owners with a map attached of the proposed blocks they will be cutting out. Pretty much the only remaining big timber on the line and where the best catching for Marten/Fisher was. Anyone have dealt with this type of thing before have any advice on the possibilities of keeping them off?
Old 08-26-2016, 09:43 AM

Just had a heavy meeting with logging company out west. They brought 4 reps to meeting. We were able to convince them not to log most of township in one year. They will let us take marten/Fisher before they log. However they still want all the trees but will do it over a few years now.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:42 PM
Banned

Sorrily we have no recourse or compensation, WHATSOEVER. The bottom line is just that. There is no selective logging anymore, they just come in and clearcut right to the river banks almost. things will never change for once they let a foot in the door, it opens the gate. Only the FIRST NATION receives "notice".(not the word I'm searching for). We have some smaller lines that have only one or two bird trees left standing, total devastation. if there is several townships involved, consider yourself very lucky. Lots of lines are not of that size/luxury
Old 08-26-2016, 02:15 PM

No its a small line only one TWP...from what I can gather they have logged pretty much the whole thing over the course of the last 8 years...now they want to come back and take the only remaining lumber of any value and of course the best habitat for the furbearing animals!! Going to run it by my lawyer and see if there is any recourse? Also have a call into the BIO for the area
Old 08-26-2016, 06:13 PM
Banned

If they have been logging there for the last 8 yrs., consider yourself one of the lucky ones cuz the writing has been on the wall for that length of time. if you have to pay more than 10$ for your consultation, save your money.
HOWEVER, should you be able to make any headway, you will be our hero cuz we have been trying for the last 20 years and not been able to get the time of day. ROTTAS RUCK...
Old 08-26-2016, 08:45 PM

In my area there seems to be a huge increase in the amount of logging for lumber/pulp in the last 2 years. It was like not much was happening for 5 or 6 years, than all of a sudden every where you turn is a clear cut.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:20 AM

The FMA owners are very desperate for logs now especially old growth timber. In last 10-12 years have taken 7% of available timber in foothills where most other countries like Russia, Us take 2-4%. In a few years all old growth will be gone and with it the marten and fisher.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:24 PM
Banned

You might find this useful.

http://www.albertatrappers.com/tips-...-trappers.html

It is very important to work closely with companies working on your trapping area. The companies will cooperate, and working together gets good results, reducing expensive conflicts and hard feelings.

When conflicts occur and can’t be resolved, provide all details to the Fish and Wildlife Office and have a claim prepared. The claim will then be forwarded for review to the ATCB. If the ATCB finds the company responsible, they will advise them to settle the claim with the trapper.

Due to extensive forest harvests and oil and gas activity (seismic/drilling, etc.) long-term loss of income claims are being reviewed by the ATCB. They require a very comprehensive review, and trappers need to provide a great deal of information (i.e. maps, photographs, fur harvest records, etc.). Consult with your Fish and Wildlife Officer, who will prepare the claim on your behalf.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Gee that stinks.

I've seen a couple of lines devastated by logging. Not environmentally, but from a trapping prospective. Not much one can do.

In a way I had the best line around. It will be the last to get logged and so far no sign of oil companies wanting to change it to any degree.

When I took over that line from my dad it was one of the poorest lines.
Now most of them have been logged and my line is one of the better lines.

We are small fish in a very big pond, that's life.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-01-2016, 09:10 AM

Pike, the trees belong to the FMA owner, the fur to the RFMA. You can back them off but takes some tough negotiating. PM me and I will try give you a few pointers on how to protect your trapper rights.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:23 PM
Banned

Grey Wolf, if you have points that can help any trapper when confronted by logging companies, I think we should all be aware of them..If they only have to deal mano/mano they rule.
As was previously mentioned, to get involved in the "arbitration" scenerio as laid out, is another lesson in futility and frustration and that is why no trapper goes that route after seeing how it works
Old 09-01-2016, 04:23 PM

lots of the mature trees on the trapline i junior on is being cut down over the next 2-4 years

but the harvester is very good to deal with and shows us all the maps to the cut blocks and we get along very well with them

my suggestion is to get to know the foreman or who every is in charge, have them over to beers/dinner and work together on a plan so they still get their quota and you still have some trees to trap

also get to know the workers, if you befriend them they will do stuff for you like clear snow, tell you where they saw a big moose etc

one good thing to try negotiate is for them leave a clear space all around the edge of the cut blocks
(wide enuf for a quad/clear of stumps) when they are done and put it back to sleep

this is so you can easily navigate/maintain a trail and still trap the outskirts of the cut blocks in the future

negotiating for them to leave trails going thru the middle of the cut block is useless for future shorter term trapping

it is much better to have a trail going around the outside of the cut block so you can trap the mature trees on the outskirts, because all the animals that were in the cutblock, are now on the outskirts of the cut block

Last edited by D4l3k; 09-01-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 10:15 AM

Sourdough, during tough negotiation with logging company you need to keep your cards close to your chest. On a public forum never know when some hunter or trapper is also logger.