Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-24-2014, 10:01 AM

Default Good luck to all on the elk opener tomorrow!!

Hi All, I just want to wish everyone luck on opening day of elk season tomorrow!! Please be safe and have fun. I'm off to the procupine hills to chase what I can find.

cheers
Goose
Old 10-24-2014, 10:47 AM

I honestly hope you have a good hunt, and find success (however that is defined for you).

I will not be going to Porcupine Hills, as every time I go on opening day I leave saddened by the atrocious behavior of our fellow "sportsmen", and the distinct lack of respect by some towards their quarry, landowners, and other hunters.

Instead I will be sitting in duck blind, with the decoys out, enjoying the morning with my elk hunting partner (who has also decided that ducks are better than anger and disgust) and my dog. Then maybe we will do a little upland hunting.

I am smiling just thinking about it.

For those who choose to go for elk, take a deep breath and be safe.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:41 AM

Default No interest in the saturday opening gong show

We will wait for Wednesday after it settles down from the weekend.
Snow Monday also predicted which will cool things off.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
I honestly hope you have a good hunt, and find success (however that is defined for you).

I will not be going to Porcupine Hills, as every time I go on opening day I leave saddened by the atrocious behavior of our fellow "sportsmen", and the distinct lack of respect by some towards their quarry, landowners, and other hunters.

Instead I will be sitting in duck blind, with the decoys out, enjoying the morning with my elk hunting partner (who has also decided that ducks are better than anger and disgust) and my dog. Then maybe we will do a little upland hunting.

^^^^ wise choice. It will be a joke in P. Hills this weekend...
Old 10-24-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:

X10

Im going to watch my daughter play volleyball in the Hat instead. Far safer and less stressful than opening day in the Porkies... LOL
I grew up in those hills and nowadays its a mad house
Old 10-24-2014, 12:59 PM

Default SLK opener in the porks

Good luck to all. I will be braving it out down there. Should be interesting

Wild Sheep Foundation of Alberta
Old 10-24-2014, 04:32 PM

Default .

headed up into 305 tomorrow, should be a interesting gong show, getting away from the roads and up high.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:41 PM

Good Luck to all, Safe hunting!

I myself am busy with studies, just finished midterms this week. Working on yr 2 of my 4yr Business Degree at NAIT.
While Dad has his General Elk tag, I don't think he is going out either any time soon, too busy with work.
I didn't get myself a Gen Elk tag this year, I still haven't even gotten my Gen or Sup WT tags either. I decided to try something different and go for an undersubscribed antlerless Elk in 353. My season opens Nov 1 -Dec 20. Wish me luck.

While I am in studies, I am on a tight budget, so hoping to be able to put some wild meat in the freezer, I am getting low on beef from the half cow I bought last fall, and only have a few turkey's left from last fall as well.

Good luck fellow Hunters....
Keep it Safe out there!

Jonny Anvil
Old 10-24-2014, 07:04 PM

I as well will be going goose hunting instead of being apart of the slaughter pine hills opener. Just disgusting behaviour from some guys, after goose hunting I might watch from the road where everything goes after all the gunsels bump them out.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose View Post
Hi All, I just want to wish everyone luck on opening day of elk season tomorrow!! Please be safe and have fun. I'm off to the procupine hills to chase what I can find.

cheers
Goose
If you are hunting outside of the forestry, make sure you have permission and don't shoot from the hood of your truck from the road.

The guys lining the roads around our place and my neighbors places today were watching elk on property were no permission has been given. Or permission has been given and I know to who. Didn't recognize any of the trucks or people with the spotting scopes out camped along the road. Not illegal to watch but I have a pretty good idea what is going through their heads or they wouldn't have been there so long.

The shooting from the road will start at 7:45am, it does every year. And most of those that do will be wearing camo from head to toe . Try and call me a liar! LOL

Smart phones with good cameras and speed dial to SRD definitely helps take care of some of these fools.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
as every time I go on opening day I leave saddened by the atrocious behavior of our fellow "sportsmen", and the distinct lack of respect by some towards their quarry, landowners, and other hunters.
I have lived in southern Alberta all of my life, hunted the Porcupine Hills since I was old enough to hunt, now live here full time.

It has gotten much worse in my opinion over the past ten years. Especially once the rifle opener starts. Some of the things I have seen and reported make me sick.

Please remember guys and gals, ask permission for private land and be respectful of landowners and other hunters. We as hunters lose hunting opportunities every year due to fools who don't like rules or boundaries.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:05 AM

Was going to go to 308 for opener as never hunted there but think I'll be waiting a week, as I don't care for the gong show. Instead will be just riding horses up in the hills away from an open season.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:23 PM

Am back home, ducks plucked and soaking in brine. Having a beer.... not a good beer, but it is still beer.

Friend said he saw lots of dead elk in 305 today; hoping he meant dead and recovered elk.

Hoping the ranch I often hunt on will still allow hunters next year.... I worry about this every year.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Am back home, ducks plucked and soaking in brine. Having a beer.... not a good beer, but it is still beer.

Friend said he saw lots of dead elk in 305 today; hoping he meant dead and recovered elk.

Hoping the ranch I often hunt on will still allow hunters next year.... I worry about this every year.
I heard the shooting from my goose blind and seen lots of headlights in the dark lol I hope it wasn't as bad as last year.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:24 PM
Banned

This sounds like a saddle hills thread! Haha, except people from the north won't be coming down there to hunt
Old 10-25-2014, 05:35 PM

I only saw 4 trucks and heard 5 shots and 1 of those was mine where I was so not to bad really.. not sure about up the creek tho
Old 10-25-2014, 05:49 PM

Default Wmu 310

Due to recent surgery i was not able to get out and look for permission this year, but if anyone has an Elk problem in 310 I have an Antlerless tag i would like to use.
Thanks,
Grizz
Old 10-25-2014, 07:02 PM

Default .

was up in 305 today, were we were it was actually fairly quiet. only heard 4 shots all morning. one of my boys was west of granum and said there was a
few hunters there. but not like opening days in years past.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:16 PM

First year in 31 years of huntin never went opening day for elk .but i got my limit in canadas in 45min. The huntin gods still smiled on me. Soooo did anyone get an elk ? I know of only one .
Old 10-26-2014, 11:52 PM

I was out trying to get an elk for my dad. I had him set up perfect where i knew there were elk and i was about a km away sitting watching an alfalfa field and next thing i know here come two moose across the field. I figured some one was trespassing as i was supposed to be the only one in the quarter section. But either way i was kind of fixated on the moose cause they kept looking behind them and next thing you know here comes this bull elk out to 150 yards and the rest is history. First time i ever had luck on opening day of rifle season for elk. The only thing better would have been if my dad was the one who had shot him as that was really the only reason i had gone out. Oh well maybe next time but we will have some good meat in the freezer for the winter.

s
Old 10-26-2014, 11:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by praire hunter View Post
was up in 305 today, were we were it was actually fairly quiet. only heard 4 shots all morning.
I can tell you this, it was not quiet around here the past two days. I will leave it at that for that part...

While I was high on a ridge Saturday morning watching the action (elk running everywhere) I thought to myself, what is it that works people into such a frenzy that they are willing to do almost anything to get an elk? When I say that, I mean why is it that people are willing to break laws just to get one? Shooting from the road, shooting onto private property with no permission, trespassing, etc. etc. etc.??? Can anyone answer this question?

And to the two guys who were trying to scare the 5 mulie bucks off of my fathers property while he was there fencing, you should be ashamed of yourselves! I was standing there talking to him and you drove by twice, why not stop and ask permission? You were back and forth on the road all morning. Pretty sure you know what you did was wrong by the way you took off when he tried to approach you after he realized where you were headed on foot (and your buddy on the quad). I will be up at our neighbors daily for the next few weeks working. If I see and catch you on his property, trespassing charges will be laid. I know your truck so I will be looking for it.

Last edited by crazy_davey; 10-27-2014 at 12:06 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 12:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchap22 View Post
I was out trying to get an elk for my dad. I had him set up perfect where i knew there were elk and i was about a km away sitting watching an alfalfa field and next thing i know here come two moose across the field. I figured some one was trespassing as i was supposed to be the only one in the quarter section. But either way i was kind of fixated on the moose cause they kept looking behind them and next thing you know here comes this bull elk out to 150 yards and the rest is history. First time i ever had luck on opening day of rifle season for elk. The only thing better would have been if my dad was the one who had shot him as that was really the only reason i had gone out. Oh well maybe next time but we will have some good meat in the freezer for the winter.
Good job bchap22! Good meat in the freezer for sure!
Old 10-27-2014, 11:28 AM

I was up there for the opener. Hunted Saturday and slept in my truck and hunted subday... I was way up on a ridge and by legal light there was about 20 vehicles down Heath creek road... The elk aren't there that's forsure. I almost had a bear. I seen 2 cow elk all weekend on batemans old property right off the road by his old house... We need -20 and 2 feet of snow. **** me off! Literally a hunter on every ridge and good on all the fools that had there flashlight beacons on. I heard about 20 shots but didn't see any elk being pushed aroun. Put on about 40km in 2 days on foot. We left just before all the good weather came in..my bro in law shot a mulie doe but that's it... Anyone ever hunt the burnt timber on the south end??? Better luxk next time! I know there is a good 5x5 and about a 300" 6x6 kickin around but he eluded us this weekend...good bull by the way... There are too many yahoos out there... There was trucks parked up in trees in the Waldron and many I don't know how they got tere and lots of quads and dort bikes in the forestry on the west side... Screwed up my bear I almost shot. Not sure if they were all elk hunters..I'm assumking a lot were deer hunters.

Last edited by James_B; 10-27-2014 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:50 PM

Was there on Saturday for the opener. It wasn't as crazy as I thought it would be. Looking to fill my moose tag after waiting for 13 years. Does anyone know where to find a printable land owners map or know of any ranchers that allow permission?
Old 10-27-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhunter270 View Post
Was there on Saturday for the opener. It wasn't as crazy as I thought it would be. Looking to fill my moose tag after waiting for 13 years. Does anyone know where to find a printable land owners map or know of any ranchers that allow permission?
You talkin in 304 ?
Old 10-27-2014, 09:10 PM

Default map

buckhunter270 here is a link to a md of willow creek map http://www.mdwillowcreek.com/indexpoint.html#
Old 10-27-2014, 09:20 PM

Yes in 304 flyguyd and thank you prairie hunter
Old 10-27-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckhunter270 View Post
Yes in 304 flyguyd and thank you prairie hunter
I would try one of the Cross clan , that family owns a huge block of country in 304
Old 10-27-2014, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_B View Post
I was up there for the opener. Hunted Saturday and slept in my truck and hunted subday... I was way up on a ridge and by legal light there was about 20 vehicles down Heath creek road... The elk aren't there that's forsure. I almost had a bear. I seen 2 cow elk all weekend on batemans old property right off the road by his old house... We need -20 and 2 feet of snow. **** me off! Literally a hunter on every ridge and good on all the fools that had there flashlight beacons on. I heard about 20 shots but didn't see any elk being pushed aroun. Put on about 40km in 2 days on foot. We left just before all the good weather came in..my bro in law shot a mulie doe but that's it... Anyone ever hunt the burnt timber on the south end??? Better luxk next time! I know there is a good 5x5 and about a 300" 6x6 kickin around but he eluded us this weekend...good bull by the way... There are too many yahoos out there... There was trucks parked up in trees in the Waldron and many I don't know how they got tere and lots of quads and dort bikes in the forestry on the west side... Screwed up my bear I almost shot. Not sure if they were all elk hunters..I'm assumking a lot were deer hunters.
Ya, well you weren't far from where lots of elk were. They were running everywhere because I watched them from the ridge I was sitting on. Watched the same thing Sunday morning out my front window.