Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2014, 08:11 PM

Default Post up ur favourite goose/duck recipes

Post up what ur favourites are and the ingredients for them. Looking for some new ideas.....
Old 10-21-2014, 08:19 PM

My favourites are often very plain and allow me to experience the full flavour of the animal I am cooking.

For ducks I most often simply pluck, singe and spatchcock them. Soak in moderately salted water for a few hours / overnight. Pat dry and then let air dry for an hour or two on the counter (helps crisp the skin). Spice as desired (often just salt and pepper, or maybe a little Greek spice). Grill flat on the BBQ on low or with a water tray to catch the fat. 10min per side, finish in a warm oven for another 20. IMO duck should be served med-rare.

I did a canvasback last year with a sauerkraut recipe, with homemade fermented kraut. It was pretty damn good.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:10 PM

Poppers!!!!!

Marinate 1/2" thick slices of either duck or goose in Worcester, garlic, a little mustard, salt and pepper. Or marinate in Italian dressing. Both marinades should be 8ish hours or more. Soak a bunch of tooth picks in water for the same amount of time.
Remove the meat and pat dry.
Put a slice of fresh jalapeno and a small spoonful of cream cheese on the slice of meat.
Roll or fold it up and wrap a half strip of bacon around it.
Secure with a toothpick.
BBQ on medium heat until medium rare turning frequently to keep the bacon from flaring.

Eat them while they are hot. It is heaven on earth!! I have had teal, mallard, pintail, Canada goose, specks and snows done this way.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:32 PM

Pulled goose!

Ingredients:
2 goose breast (cut in half length wise)
1 whole white/yellow onion (baseball sized) sliced
3 cloves garlic chopped
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp chill powder
1 standard sized bottle of your favourite BBQ sauce

Slice onion and chop garlic, put on the bottom of your SLOW COOKER (thats key). Put the goose on top of the onion as well as the rest of the ingredients. Put on low for 10 hours or high for about 6. At this point the goose should start to shred. You can either pull it out of the pot and shred it with a fork and replace it or shred it in the pot. Stir it all up and add a bit more BBQ sauce to reach the desired liquid/meat ratio.

Serve on onion buns with horse radish and coleslaw. This one is a winner and it is dead easy.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:26 AM

Those all sound awesome. Going to give them a try!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Post up what ur favourites are and the ingredients for them. Looking for some new ideas.....
Pheasant Parmasen

Melt enough butter to coat Pheasant pieces
Dredge pieces in bread crumb mixture
Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper
Bake at 375F-about 20-25mins for bnls breast,add a few more minutes to legs and thighs

Bread crumb mixture:
You can use straight bread crumbs or add some Shake n Bake to the mixture as well
Add parmasen cheese(the more cheese, (the cheeser it gets..lol)
Add some paprika,salt and pepper or whatever spice you may have or like

Enjoy!
Old 10-22-2014, 10:56 AM
Banned

Butter fly goose breasts. Dip in flour both sides, sear for a couple of minutes in fry pan. Spread cream cheese on inside of breast, add onions, peppers, a bit of garlic and other seasoning to taste. Close breast and wrap in bacon, secure with tooth picks (soak in water first) broil until bacon is cooked. Making some tonight for supper.........very tasty.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Banned

Old 10-22-2014, 03:02 PM

Teriyaki duck/goose. Take a duck/goose either a plucked bird or breasts work good to. Put the bird in a slow cooker and chop up 1-2 apples and 1-2 onions and then cover with a bottle teriyaki sause. Cook for 7-8 hours. If bird is frozen cook on high tempature, if bird is untawed cook on low temperature
Old 10-22-2014, 04:09 PM

I like this for a recipe for whole goose.

It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-24-2014, 11:19 AM

Default sausage

Any goose sausage recipes to be shared?
Old 10-25-2014, 07:33 AM

Default Delta Waterfowl Site

If your looking for a ton of great waterfowl recipes go to the Delta Waterfowl site;

http://deltawaterfowl.org

My two favourites are:

Slow roasted duck which is incredible(website) and my personal recipe which is:

Take your duck or Spec and pluck the breasts. As long as it is not too piny, take the breast meat off with the skin. This is essential. If you are just breasting your birds without the skin your eliminating the fat in the skin when cooking which is crucial.

Soak the breasts in salt water for 2-3 hours to leech all the blood out. Then dry them off and singe them with a candle taking off all the excess hairs.

For a marinade you have plenty of options. I use:
Buttermilk
OJ and teriaki
red wine and cracked pepper

Marinade for 1 day

If the birds are really old, I will use an injector and inject the breasts to ensure the marinade can break down some of the tougher tissue inside the breast.

BBQ at a really high heat. sear them for 30 seconds a side then turn your heat right down and let them cook with the meat side down, fat side up. Expect some flaring when the fat starts to burn. Coat with added marinade as an option. When you start to see blood coming out of the breast with the fat your at rare. DO NOT OVER COOK. I usually take mine off as they are just cooking from rare to medium rare. Cover and let the juices come out. Collect juices for gravy.

When you slice cut them with a fillet knife. Really thin with the skin on. As long as they are medium rare, you will not believe how good they are.

Enjoy