Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-22-2014, 08:21 PM

Default Grizz in 351

reading some old posts on here about Grizzly in the Swan Hills area.
specifically in 351

has anyone got any fresh information on Grizzly sightings in 351.
its huge wmu, I am going to moose hunt south of Snipe lake and tent it also for a week starting this October 31st. for 6-8 days until tagg filled..............and yes 2014.

yes I am aware snipe lake is not in 351, but if your familiar you will understand where Im gonna be.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:23 PM

I've seen them around Swan Hills, one was this spring. No help about around snipe though
Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 PM

I've never seen them around Snipe only black bears. I've heard of them farther west and south in the Simmonette area.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 10-22-2014, 08:59 PM

I've seen plenty of grizz tracks in the area over the years so they are definatly around there. Never seen one with my own eyes but have heard lots of first hand accounts. I'll be looking for moose in 351 myself come november so good luck and stop and say hello.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:07 PM

I grew up in swan hills and yes there are grizz. We use to b locked in the school because grizz would wander through school grounds. Also seen them on the golf course and at the dump all the time. Although I never worried about them while camping around there, actually have never gave it a thought. Just be bear smart
Old 10-22-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
I grew up in swan hills and yes there are grizz. We use to b locked in the school because grizz would wander through school grounds. Also seen them on the golf course and at the dump all the time. Although I never worried about them while camping around there, actually have never gave it a thought. Just be bear smart
Seen one sitting in the ditch by the golf course ripping up a bag of garbage last summer. Stopped and watched him for a few minutes until I had to move. He looked up when I stopped then went back to searching for a snack.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:45 PM

Besides grizzly there are also some big cougars too.

I had a big tom cat assume the position behind me when I was on foot hunting moose by Meekwap Lake a few years ago. Glad I noticed him and turning around, he changed his mind after we locked eyes for what seemed to be a minute. Never saw a moose in 4 days in that area thanks to him probably. I guesstimate he was 200+ lbs.

Be alert and enjoy your hunt. Watch your backtrack if on foot.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-25-2014, 08:57 AM

Default grizz

Swan Hills is one of the designated 6-8 grizz zones in Alberta. It was famous for grizz hunting when we could in the past. Also very famous trapper that had his line from Snipe to Meekwap Lake always saw and shot many grizz on his line as they would rip boards right off his cabins. One even dug a 6 foot hole underneath one cabin trying to break in. Yes many grizz in the Swan Hills in past and today.