Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2014, 09:49 AM

Default Coyote/wolf electric calls

What has everyone tried to call in mainly coyotes? I have seen a few slick calls with the rabbit wiggle.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:16 AM

If you are looking for an electronic call for coyotes/wolves then I would recommend any of the FoxPro line. Hands down the best customer service you will ever find and some great sounds you can download as well from their site, at a cost mind you.

For coyotes I tend to use a male coyote howl first then switch over to the Lightning Jack and Snowshoe rabbit sounds. For the FoxBang feature, I have it programmed to coyote pup distress.

I have used just the call and also the call with the FoxJack decoy. Seems to work either way about the same.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:39 PM

I've used hand calls for coyotes. I did use my friend's Foxpro FX3. It worked, but wasn't impressed with the controls on the remote. I have been thinking of buying one. I was thinking of the Fury II, but now I see they have a Fusion which has a few more features. If I pull the trigger and buy one, it will be a Fusion, likely with a Foxjack decoy which attaches to the side.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 PM
Banned

I have been using a Primos Turbo Dogg for the last few years, has worked well, and has good range.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I have been using a Primos Turbo Dogg for the last few years, has worked well, and has good range.
I just bought one of these, out of the 4 sets ive done I called in 3 coyotes.
I cant believe how good it works.
Other than the fact that they advertise it has a 150 yard range and it really only has a 50 yard range, its great.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:36 PM

Sounds like foxpro it is.

We have a predator problem around here. There is a no bag limit when it comes to wolves & yotes.

Even go as far as freezing knives into ice for the wolves.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_01 View Post

We have a predator problem around here. There is a no bag limit when it comes to wolves & yotes.

????????????
Old 10-24-2014, 05:36 AM

Quote:

Talking moose wants to hear more on freezing knives into the ice. Please.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:39 AM

Talking

electric game calls r awsome...
Old 10-24-2014, 08:52 AM

Try Wildlife Technologies before you buy a Foxpro. WT are 100% real animal calls, Foxpro are mostly hand held, man made squeeker calls that they recorded. You can go on thier website ( foxpro ) and listen to how pathetic some sound, some are ok. Wildlife Tech are more money, I think around 600.00 now but have 120 sounds on them including coyote, fox, wolf and a host of others. They work awesome with about 150 yard line of sight remote THAT WORKS. I've used foxpro, johnny stewart and a few others. Foxpro would be at the lower end of the electronic calls, with the new johnny stewart quite a bit above the fox. My .02 from my experiences.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:57 AM

I use hand calls exclusively and I just recently bought my first electronic call....a plastic magpie that makes a racket like a group of feeding magpies would....looking forward to trying it out!

LC
Old 10-24-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
Try Wildlife Technologies before you buy a Foxpro. WT are 100% real animal calls, Foxpro are mostly hand held, man made squeeker calls that they recorded. You can go on thier website ( foxpro ) and listen to how pathetic some sound, some are ok. Wildlife Tech are more money, I think around 600.00 now but have 120 sounds on them including coyote, fox, wolf and a host of others. They work awesome with about 150 yard line of sight remote THAT WORKS. I've used foxpro, johnny stewart and a few others. Foxpro would be at the lower end of the electronic calls, with the new johnny stewart quite a bit above the fox. My .02 from my experiences.
I ve heard and read some great reviews. Something to look into. I built myself a decoy that wiggles. I can stick it into the dirt and snow. It's 3 feet above ground and it seals the fate on most dogs no matter how bad my calling is. I bought a primos catnip call this summer and I'm going 5 for 5. Our area is over called so a decoy and different sounds really help. But truth is there has to be coyotes around. I don't call unless I have seen coyotes there in the summer. Glassing the area is even better. Last night I was ready to make a set and started glassing as soon as I parked the quad sure enough there was a dog watching me at 400 yards. I called and he took off but his buddy was bedded down he came charging in
Old 10-25-2014, 11:03 AM

The story goes Intuit/Eskimo people froze knives covered in seal blood into the ice. The wolves would come along and lick the knives untill their tongue starts bleeding. Eventually they will bleed to death.

So reading this some people I know tried this with moose blood on a lake. They found blood leaving the knife.

Also there is the wire wrapped around meat stories. Wolf gets the wire and meat in their stomach and tear it all up.

I will look into the Johnny Stewart. There is a $165 & $650 model at wholesale.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
The story goes Intuit/Eskimo people froze knives covered in seal blood into the ice. The wolves would come along and lick the knives untill their tongue starts bleeding. Eventually they will bleed to death.

So reading this some people I know tried this with moose blood on a lake. They found blood leaving the knife.

Also there is the wire wrapped around meat stories. Wolf gets the wire and meat in their stomach and tear it all up.

Sorry but torture (even for a wolf) does not follow what I was taught....quick clean kill by weapon or trap is preferred. I sure as heck hope you aren't leaving knives sticking up out of ice somewhere...

LC
Old 10-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Banned

Default Wow

Quote:

This can only get better shortly, lol.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty-canuck View Post
sorry but torture (even for a wolf) does not follow what i was taught....quick clean kill by weapon or trap is preferred. I sure as heck hope you aren't leaving knives sticking up out of ice somewhere...

Lc
x1000
Old 10-25-2014, 11:51 AM

Jesse I use a Elk Reed to call Wolves in and use a Elk distress tone using my mouth

Also on howling I use my mouth and call like a wolf

they will come too you so be ready

also any other predator will come to when using Elk distress call so be aware

make sure when setting up you have a field of view all around you

here is a video showing how they come to a call and my posts on this years Wolves

in 2012 I called them in 4 times .. 3howling and 1 Elk Reed

watch afew videos on Wolves and you will get the gist

have fun

David
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...EE02C04B9F525C

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=230820

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=231443

Quote:
What has everyone tried to call in mainly coyotes? I have seen a few slick calls with the rabbit wiggle.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:04 PM

Iphone+free predator call apps+bose bluetooth speaker=cheap electronic call (bose speaker has other uses )
Old 10-25-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhunter51 View Post
X2
Since purchasing a wildlife tech call, my success has gone up quite a bit. And sold the foxpro. Way better range on the remote, about 50 yards at least further, more clear sounds and more realistic sounds. They are pricey though.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Jesse I use a Elk Reed to call Wolves in and use a Elk distress tone using my mouth

Also on howling I use my mouth and call like a wolf

they will come too you so be ready

also any other predator will come to when using Elk distress call so be aware

make sure when setting up you have a field of view all around you

here is a video showing how they come to a call and my posts on this years Wolves

in 2012 I called them in 4 times .. 3howling and 1 Elk Reed

watch afew videos on Wolves and you will get the gist

have fun

David
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...EE02C04B9F525C

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=230820

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=231443
Not much for elk around here. They are just to moving into this area. It might work as something they haven't heard before.

I have tried using reeds in the past. But they tickle the top of my mouth lol.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:59 PM

Those wildlife ones look slick. I think I am going to pick up a Johnny Stewart jury or a fox pro wildfire 2 for now.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:10 PM

living in Saskatchewan the last four years I shot more coyotes than I had in the previous 15 in Alberta...they have serious problems in some areas with them and with wolves.
I bought a FoxPro two years ago and increased the take rate by 75%, easy. They will come in almost immediately if you set properly...the local who was schooling me said that if you haven't pulled the trigger within 15 minutes of setting, move; you're not going to take anything where you are.

That was pretty much true almost all the time. The wolf behaviour in southwest Sask. was unusual the last two years. There has been a lot of crossborder movement of large animals who don't care all that much about calls...or people. They've developed a taste for beef, and are quite aggressive about protecting their territory. There usually wasn't much need for calling them in; if you saw any signs of them, they would find you if you wandered around a bit.

I've only ever owned a FoxPro so I don't know how they compare with more expensive manufacturers. It's worked real well for me so far
Old 10-25-2014, 04:02 PM

I went to wholesale and waste sure what to buy lol. They told me I couldn't hear the sounds in store and there was no returns. So now I have to find a place I can demo then.
I did buy a limbsaver and a hand call though. I usually just go all in and get the best one I can get. I may try the cell phone mp3 and a good speaker if I can find one.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I went to wholesale and waste sure what to buy lol. They told me I couldn't hear the sounds in store and there was no returns. So now I have to find a place I can demo then.
I did buy a limbsaver and a hand call though. I usually just go all in and get the best one I can get. I may try the cell phone mp3 and a good speaker if I can find one.
All kinds of predator call apps. Many are free.
Check out costco for bluetooth speakers. My bose has a range of about 30 yds. And of course pretty tough to beat the sound quality out of that speaker
Old 10-25-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I bought my foxpro at cabelas. It had an electrical short and fried pretty quick. Had no problems returning it for a different one.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
All kinds of predator call apps. Many are free.
Check out costco for bluetooth speakers. My bose has a range of about 30 yds. And of course pretty tough to beat the sound quality out of that speaker
Yeah I am going to try this route first. I am in need of a good bluetooth speaker.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:57 AM

I bought a FoxPro wildfire directly from FoxPro.com and got a. Refurb for way cheaper plus you can put whatever 35 sounds you want on it. I have a Bluetooth speaker and at 100% its only 1/3 as loud as the fox pro.
IMHO I would stick with a FoxPro caller or something with a horn so on windy days you can still thrown that sound around